Interesting

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nope. Grandmaster Yip and Leung Sheung had some serious differences later on. Wing Chun politics got really nasty in Hong Kong long before most of us outsiders even new what WC was.

Face it, with all the different takes on the art, there will never be one "Grandmaster of everybody" in the Yip Man lineage. Probably just as well, too.
I agree...this is why I just smile when I see the title Grandmaster in front of someone's name in the WC world.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Face it, with all the different takes on the art, there will never be one "Grandmaster of everybody" in the Yip Man lineage. Probably just as well, too.

Geezer, Vajramusti, and I (as well as some others here) are all greatly influenced by Yip Man students or those who have shared a lot of training time with him. Our instructors have their perspectives as to passing on what they learned and we each have our perspectives. I'd say much of what we have is the same or very similar. Much is different and that is as it should be. We are all different and our wing chun should be different. The fundamentals are the same or very similar, though some movements are different and I'm willing to assume that many applications will be different also. Just as it should be. So should we all follow or acknowledge a one single person to be "Grand Master". For me that answer is no.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's interesting. Anything you know of in particular?

Yes. But I can't verify the details. And the last thing WC needs is more people spreading nasty rumors. It's enough to know that the previous generations had their conflicts too, and let it go at that.

Latest Discussions