Interesting

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My ming men resists when I bow!!!

You could always try bending over backwards :D
Personally I like the title of "Mr. Me-Yucky son" ... close enough sounding to Yak Sao. :D

Yes, but that will never do..... Wing Chun is Chinese so Mr Yak Sao would be Yak Sao Xiānshēng but since we are talking the head of all things Wing Chun....Yuk Sao Gōng might be better since that would be Lord Yuk Sao :D

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kind of sad really. I can do chi sau blindfolded but I couldn't type without looking if you put a gun to my head.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I sent in my payment as requested (demanded). I still have NOT received my membership card and certificate. Who do I file a complaint with?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I sent in my payment as requested (demanded). I still have NOT received my membership card and certificate. Who do I file a complaint with?

I will deal with the person responsible with undue harshness and severity.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
From what I understand, the Chinese government is in the process of codifying their marital arts and developing a standard ranking system of something like 10 levels and a standardized curriculum for each of them.
In this list are the 6 tai chi families(Chen, Yang, Wu, Wuu, Sun, Hu), Long fist, Ba chi, Hsing I, pa kwa, Wing Chun (they refer to it in the Mandarin, as Yong Chun) and several others.

I'm wondering if naming a head of the WC system is part of that process?

Welp, there goes whatever remains of TCMA. I do hope we can still find semblance of anything genuine in China 20, 30 years from now.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sure there are still hidden enclaves scattered here and there throughout China that still hold on to the old ways...at least I hope there are. They will see this attempt by their government for what it is and continue on.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately the page doesn't display for me.

I don't think Yip Man even wanted a "successor," but if we want to play this game, then logically wouldn't it either be:

A. Yip Man's two sons

or

B. Yip Man's most prized student (Leung Sheung) and then whoever Leung Sheung's most prized student is/was?
I would say the right answer is B only because he started with Ip Man long befor either Ip Ching or Chung and he was actually told by Ip Man to start teaching and a school.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would say the right answer is B only because he started with Ip Man long befor either Ip Ching or Chung and he was actually told by Ip Man to start teaching and a school.

Nope. Grandmaster Yip and Leung Sheung had some serious differences later on. Wing Chun politics got really nasty in Hong Kong long before most of us outsiders even knew what WC was.

Face it, with all the different takes on the art, there will never be one "Grandmaster of everybody" in the Yip Man lineage. Probably just as well, too.

Last edited:

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure there are still hidden enclaves scattered here and there throughout China that still hold on to the old ways...at least I hope there are. They will see this attempt by their government for what it is and continue on.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wish that the government would stay out of it. Even though it's post Mao-the Cultural revolution and it's aftermath did much damage to TCMA. Ip Man left for Macao before the cultural revolution and many top TCMA folks left the mainland. Some survived such as Cen taiji even though some Chen masters suffered some. Still as a family art they weathered the storm and are doing just fine.Sum Nun quietly kept on teaching his version of wing chun.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nope. Grandmaster Yip and Leung Sheung had some serious differences later on. Wing Chun politics got really nasty in Hong Kong long before most of us outsiders even new what WC was.

Face it, with all the different takes on the art, there will never be one "Grandmaster of everybody" in the Yip Man lineage. Probably just as well, too.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is no way to have a true successor to Ip Man.Too much gushing waves gone under the bridge. Best to search hard for a competent and knowledgeable sifu, "eat bitter" and practice

Latest Discussions