Integrating MMA Fitness into Military Fitness

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Greetings,

As some of you know, I'm working an interservice transfer from the US Navy to either the US Army or US Army National Guard. I've always minded my physical condition, since before I was comissioned.

I currently do a lot of Crossfit routines to stay in shape, whilst deployed downrange as a Navy Individual Augmentee (ISO an Army Battalion). I run, focusing on both speed and distance endurance three times a week with three days of strength training for six days of conditioning a week. My FOB's got a damn good gym.

A typical strength day for me would be a 30 minute, Crossfit-esque program with specific strength goals in mind followed by 20 minutes cardio.

Here's an example of Tuesday's Workout:

30 minutes of:

14 pullups
10 one handed kettlebell swings (35 lbs. plate in lieu of kettle bell)
25 four count flutter kicks (holding the 35 lbs. plate over my chest)
10 box jumps
30 left/right/middle crunches

Repeat for as many sets as possible in the time limit (I managed four sets)

Followed that with 20 minutes cardio (elliptical machine set to the L12 out of 25 levels).

As far as the Martial Arts side of me is concerned, once I get to my stateside post I intend to take up Brazilian Jiu Jitsu/MMA as a hobby. (I currently train in Jiu Jitsu, time permitting, with a sergeant and a corporal from my unit whenever our schedules permit).

How can I integrate my martial arts training and fitness regimes into military fitness other than with combatives? I'd like to be able to do well on Army physical events as well as be a proficient martial artist.

Any advice?

LoneRider