Instructors - Who do you teach?

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Among instructors, what age/gender groups do you teach?

~ Loki

ChineseKempoJerry

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I teach mainly adult men (22-35) and have just recently picked up a couple of wives that do not want to train with "stinky men". This has been a challenge as I have had to change my teaching methods (not curriculum) to make sure they felt comfortable in the learning process. I do fill in "occasionally" and teach a jr's class, but it is not my thing.

My son who is 6 has been going on and off to the kid class (which I do not teach) for two years has now begun formal training with me everyday. This has been easier than shipping him to class as I can have control over his fundamental basics training. His improvement has my wife jealous and she has also started training (one of the wives).

I hope this answers your questions.

Best Regards,

Jerry

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk Jerry! :asian:

I teach mostly men. They range in age from 16 to in their 50s. The women, since there are now only two of them, will say thanks for not telling our ages, so I won't. :wink2: I teach one woman during the day and work with the other occasionally at night.

MJ :)

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Loki said:

~ Loki
I will teach anybody I have my kids class the age to start is 4yrs old until you are 16 (at that time you can enter my adult class with parental permission and them being there for the entire class). But right now I actually have more adults anywhere from 18-52 lots of these guys have different backgrounds and only two have never trained in anything before.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I help teach (I'm an instructor, not a master) the kids classes with the exception of the 4 year olds. I'm as scared of them as they are of me. lol. I also teach the kid's sparring. Because I'm also a student, the only adult class I teach is the sparring class.

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Our criteria is 18+, our student body is mostly (Ok, right this moment all) men, ages [lower 20s] to [upper 50s] (don't know exact ages).

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been luck you have a wide range of ages. I run a Lil' Dragon Program and start with children at age 4-5 (Depending on their Attention Span.) We at the Golden Dragon Dojo are also proud of our greatest Senior student, Joseph just Celebrated his 84th birth day with us. and he still works for the full 3 hour class. And at times he even gets down and Crab Spars with the 12-15 year old students... And Beats Them:)
He likes to Joke and say that hey "I'm only 84 years old.. Look at what Yoda did ay over 900".. We love him. Also we work with many disabled students of all ages.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will teach from age 3-4 to any age. My breakdown is juniorsa up to age 13, 13-17, and 18-?. If a students wants private lessons then they are charged accordingly. I have even mixes of boys and girls, men and women. The youung students have no age requirement, but they must be able to stand quietly and pay attention. This is usually around 4 or 5, but I have had exceptions as young as 3 and as old as 8. Sometimes I wonder about the 30 to 50 year olds on being able to pay attention.

thesensei

Green Belt
Reaction score
Currently, I teach primarily ages 4-16. I have taught a number of adult students, but right now, I do a lot with the children. My main classes are at a small private school - I teach PE, and it consists mainly of martial arts (although I throw in a fun day of basketball or soccer every now and then!). If you can teach in simple enough terms for children to understand clearly, you can teach anyone!

Salute,
JB

R

rainbows

I teach college students, so mostly 18-22, and about 60% men-40% women.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I teach anybody who is willing to learn the Art of TKD nomatter age, race or gender. In my eye a student is one that is here for training and not a belt.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I assist with classes for every rank except brown & black (since those are the ones I attend) including the kids classes (7-13 year-olds). I also teach one of the white/yellow/orange classes, and an all-ranks adult self-defense class.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Loki said:

~ Loki

Through Tulisan Tactical I do not teach kids, but may (within reason) take an older teenager with a parental release and extensive interviewing process. However, I will assist Livesafeacademy on occasion in teaching kids self defense and safety workshops that they put on. I really believe in these workshops, and that children are important, and that it is important to learn safety and self-defense in a positive way at a young age; it is just that my programs are not geared towards that.

Most of who I teach are Adults (mostly males) who are operators or civilians. The bulk of my time that I have been spending right now is on building my instructors Gild, where canidates have to go through an extensive background check, interview, and probationary period prior to admittance. This is my core group and only ongoing program at the moment. The rest of the stuff I do is small seminar instruction.

Paul

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I teach anyone who signs up but the youngest student is age 5 and the oldest is late 40s. I used to teach separate kids and adult classes but combined them and it is working out better for all.

Miles

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I honestly will teach anyone who is devoted to learning, and has a respectful way about them, but I teach a co-ed class from ages 10-45 (I am the assistant instructor) I usually just run them all through drills open class, so on and so forth, I also answer any questions they may have

Latest Discussions