Instructor Training

O

OC Kid

As a Instructor with a very limited amount of free time (FT job, kids, teaching,ect)

I dont have any affiliated schools in my area and Im basically on my own. I can drive 2 hours each way to a school and train but like I said time is limited

How do other Instructors in my situation up grade their skills. I have/ do purchase some video tapes ect. Ive been considering going to a gym (MT BJJ / Boxing) up the street but like I said its time. I may have to make the time but like I said its limited.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
The ones I know of go to train with their master instructors for a long weekend every two to three months. Other than that, they work their techs and forms and exercise the same as the rest of us.

Dr. Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
The ones I know of go to train with their master instructors for a long weekend every two to three months. Other than that, they work their techs and forms and exercise the same as the rest of us.
Thats' pretty much what you'll have to do . Go out to see them, or bring them in!:asian:

OP
S

SMP

Since time is limited use it wisely. I am not a fan of videos so I think tigers advice is very sound.

OP
S

sifu nick

I would say continue to train with your Master Instructor either on a long weekend or at night after your classes if at all possible. I have the benefit of teaching at our Master's school so I get to still participate in class every night. If you have someone else who you can trust to teach classes once a week or so that may also help.

OP
S

Shurikan

I am in the exact same situation, When i see my Grandmaster we train for long periods of time then i go home and digest it for an even longer period of time. We also hold seminars for all the students and bring him here then i train with him afterwards.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dr. Kenpo said:
Thats' pretty much what you'll have to do . Go out to see them, or bring them in!:asian:
This is a great way to do it. Bringing your instructor, or another from whom you would like to learn, in for a seminar is a great way for you to work on your skills, and helps your students enrich their experience. As well, with some good advertising, it may be an event which allows you a good reason to get others some exposure to your art, perhaps gaining you a few extra students and a few extra dollars.

Latest Discussions