Injuries!

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Six broken ribs at various times.(I fight aggressively and have eaten quite a few front kicks in the ribs over the years)
Three knuckles on the left hand(Leopard punch through board on Brown belt test.The board broke as did I)
Severe dislocation of the right pinky(I have a bad habit of playing my fingers on the ridge hand strike)
Left wrist(I fell badly.Actually, I fell down just fine but I botched the breakfall)
Nose seven times(You should see those guy's fists:))
Two concussions(I''ve had a couple more but they were'nt in MA)
Hairline Fractures of the left eye-socket(Best knee strike I ever saw,or didn't as the case may be)
Three broken teeth(my partner took a gauging step forward as part of a club strike in a demo.Didn't see that coming,either.I'm starting to notice a pattern)
Countless bruises and muscle strains.

Sometimes I think I need a more docile hobby:)

Mark

ares

Orange Belt
Reaction score
mine isn't as long as some.
1) broke left wrist sparring
2) had left eye socket broke during purple belt test (great punch. didn't know it was broke til I blew my nose and my eye swelled shut)
3) cracked bone in foot. (bad technique)
4) dislocated fingers
All in the fun of the game

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been really lucky. The only injuries I've gotten are bruises(from sparring) and scraped knuckles(from trying to break boards).

Of course, now that I've said this, I've probably jinxed myself and will sprain something Friday(private lesson day!). Just wait! It's gonna happen-trust me!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Injuries are a common and important part of training. For many people a sprain or strain leaves them whining for a week and begging off of doing anything at all. For the martial artist it's a physical reminder that you aren't just living... you're LIVING. They should also serve to point out that, if we're taking injuries like this when we're trying to be careful that we are very capable of doing very serious bodily harm to another human being if we're using our techniques in earnest.

OP
tko4u

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I actually remember training in a FULL class (pushups, warmups, forms, sparring!) with stitches in my right hand, the day I got them! For me it has never been wether or not to work out hurt, it was always how long to work out hurt.

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Does the times we forgot to block or walked into a punch/kick during sparring count? :wink1:

I've also been kicked/hit holding boards ...

When I was a blue belt I tripped and fell during a Forms Clinic, hurt my knee pretty bad, didn't have to have surgery - still bothers me from time to time but I keep on going.

Most of you have heard my broken toe story w/ the surgery and screws...

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Interesting this thread cmes up now that I have not been posting for a while because I am currently nursing a bum right knee.

Not sure how it happened because I was paying attention to my guard pass technique.

Anyway all I know is I felt it pop out of place and stay there for several seconds.

Now it hurts like a b***c.

Doc says no ligament damage probably just a cartilage tear, we'll see what the MRI says. Also been kicked in the nose quite a bit....

gkygrl

Green Belt
Reaction score
My shoulders have been a problem since starting Combat Hapkido and I have worked on strengthening them.

In August, during a belt test, I was taken down by a higher belt into some kind of shoulder lock takedown thingee and he stretched me too hard and too far (adrenaline will do that) and after 3 audible pops, the feeling like I was going to vomit, and tears that came to my eyes ... I finished my belt test and earned my orange belt. I learned that I tore my labrum at this point. I've probably damaged it a little more since that belt test and not getting to the doctor quick enough. I've also developed some wicked nerve impingement that is causing numbness down my arm and into my thumb.

I REALLY earned that belt let me tell yah .... I am sure I should have told the instructor at the time but I had adrenaline too and although it hurt like heck, the nausea was the worst part of it. Now it hurts like heck and I am ready for the knife.

I have to have shoulder surgery for a torn labrum and some other shoulder injuries that could keep me out of MA close to a year (4-6 weeks immobilized). Drats.

One day at a time I guess ... all part of the game.

I had just started Modern Jujitsu too (more pressure points and joint locks versus grappling).

I'll keep on learning and won't give up, I'll just slow down for a while and do the surgery and rehab.

Last edited:

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Starting from the top down.....

Fingers to eyes

Optic nerve jostled by kick in head caused tunnel vision for several hours

Ringing in ears for several days after being punched in ear

Several bloody noses

TMJ syndrome from punch to jaw

Chipped teeth

Lost voice from kick in throat (! day)

Dislocated shoulder from throw

Several shoulder strains through the years from excessive training

Broken ribs

Busted knuckle

Pulled groin muscle that lasted for years

Broken toe

Broken foot

Plus countless knee sprains, bumps , bruises, cuts, scrapes........

But you should see the other guy....

hogstooth

Green Belt
Reaction score
Broken nose, broken toes, broken and dislocated fingers, broken ribs, cuts, bruises and one concussion.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Too many to count- broken, sprained and dislocated fingers/toes. Broken noses. Cuts and lacerations to face. Bruised ribs, bruised/swollen forearms, badly bruised shins, various hundreds of different pulled/strained muscles, cuts in mouth, swollen throat (over-choked by aggressive grappler).....etc.

I've actually never broken a bone doing any activity ever (touch wood)!!! So I'm lucky in that respect so far. I don't ever wear a groin guard either- so from time to time I do get hit hard downstairs...not really an injury, but very painful at the time!

I'm actually training with really messed up fingers now- I dislocated my small finger on left hand a week and a bit ago, plus sprained the 2 fingers next to it. And I've been boxing on it all week, albeit using 20oz gloves, taping and extremely well wrapped hands! It's killing me!!!

:)

But...I love it....don't we all?

SlickRick

White Belt
Reaction score
nothing too serious for me either

bloody lip, torn hamstring, bruised ego........

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Pulled muscles, busted lips, bloody nose, sprained fingers, wrists, toes, dislocated shoulder...

Don't put Icy Hot on your hamstring if it's sore...you'll live to regret it.

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Broken Ribs.
Broken Metatarsals (foot bones).
Laceration over right eye requiring sutures.
Multiple contusions, concussions, bruises.

The most painful is always the crushing of the Ego.

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I used to be resilant.... however last month when I returned (since have stopped again due to curcumstances beyond my control) I did ligament damage in my ankle and chipped my shin bone. Oh and dislocated my shoulder. Not a good return...or maybe i just don't know when to limit myself and i put everything I got into my training. (by the way after i did all three i still got in the ring to fight with one arm and very little mobility due to not being able to put weight on my foot......yeah i'm dumb sometimes, I lost but gave it my all.)