Injuries!

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, this should be interesting, who all has been injured while ma training and how?????????

Me first:
Of course, pulled and tore both hamstrings- axe kick (gotta love it)
Shattered toe joint-arc kicked without curling toes
Permanent dents and chips out of my shin-No shinpads (being corrected soon)
Misc scars on hand- breaking

Thats about it, how about you?

OP
tko4u

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
oops, forgot that I tore my calf muscle- huge guy mule kicked me in it! ouch

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Seven stiches in head from being kicked there.

Bent nose from being kicked in the face.

Front tooth bent back from being elbowed while sparring (pushed it back in place myself, lucky no nerve dammage.)

Broke hand on bag. Broke toe in Judo.

Hyper extension from way way to much kicking. Streached ligaments from a Judo throw.

Busted knuckles while speed breaking boards (drunk) at a party.

So what's new? Been in this game for something like almost 30 years. And since I don't just do forms and shadow box, well one is going to get their lumps.

Deaf

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have two scars in my hand from a sword (not self-inflicted), one in my head (self-inflicted) and a pulled groin I'm nursing. I posted on that already.

CrimsonPhoenix

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I haven't had injuries as bad as the ones that have been described, but I'm a kyu rank, so sparring hasn't been too nasty yet. But here's what I've had happen to me so far:

Too many bruises to count from sparring, self defense and the like.

Bloody nose from sparring.

Banged my head off the ground when my partner was doing a takedown on me. No mats. . .had a headache for a week.

Stretched and bruised ligaments: in my little toe after it got caught in my instructor's gi while sparring. I quickly bought a size bigger in foot pads.

Same night: deep shin bruise while sparring. Both injuries on the same leg. I felt it for a week.

More deep shin bruises: From not wearing shin guards while sparring

Concussion: kicked in the head while sparring a red belt taking his black belt test.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dislocated little finger in 3 places & broke it in 2, blocking spinning back kick w/ an open hand (as a white belt).

Broken middle toe 3 times.

3 stitches under my lower lip being kicked by fighter who missed his opponent & hit me.

Too many groin & hamstring pulls to count.

Current calf muscle pull that has been hurting for 6 months. Despite 3 months of physical therapy, an MRI & 3 doctors that say, "I don't know how to help you."

After 26 years, I've been pretty blessed in the injury dept.

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Okay, this should be interesting, who all has been injured while ma training and how?????????

Me first:
Of course, pulled and tore both hamstrings- axe kick (gotta love it)
Shattered toe joint-arc kicked without curling toes
Permanent dents and chips out of my shin-No shinpads (being corrected soon)
Misc scars on hand- breaking

Thats about it, how about you?

Broke my right foot.
Two broken ribs.
Broken toes and fingers.
Had a couple concussions.
I tore a ligament and underwent knee surgery in July.

Yep, this is fun!!

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Two cracked teeth.
An injury to my left elbow forced me to train pretty much one armed for five months. Don`t recall what the doctor called it but thankfully did not require any surgery.
Got my cheek slashed open from ear to jaw by my partners very long un-cut toe nail. Same day I also got a bloody nose and a split lip. Raised a few eyebrows walking home after.

Moral; use your mouthguard (even if you only are going light contact with someone you don`t know), be careful when applying locks and cut your nails often.

wrc619

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Many bruises.
Sore elbow.
Cut on tongue(that's why we need mouthguards).

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For many of us to list all of our injuries would probably crash the site. ;) As an aikido-ka the vast majority of my injuries have been joint related. The occasional broken toe or finger. Dislocated shoulder, permanent tendinitis in my elbows and wrists that don't work quite right are just about it. Broke my back after a two story fall. That one wasn't the result of MA but has really affected my training.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The minor bumps and bruises are pretty much par for the course with training, so I won't list those. :)

Lets see...

Injured my right wrist way back when I first started to train. A green or brown belt with no control was leading the class, and bent my wrist back in a lock, faster and harder than he should have. The result was a pop, which I have no idea what that was, and now I have limited flexability in that wrist. Any time I work with someone and we're doing locks, I make sure that I tell them about the injury, although I find myself having to repeat myself due to the fact that people don't listen.

Injury to my left knee while grappling. Again, with a newbie with zero control, who felt that he was better than anyone else. Somehow, during the course of us rolling, he caught me leg and pulled back, which resulted in a pop in my knee. No immediate pain, although I suddenly got this warm sensation in the knee area. Alot of swelling later on that night, and in the AM I could hardly walk. The MRI showed that I came very close to tearing the ACL. Thank God the recovery was nothing more than taking it easy, physical therapy exercises, etc.

A few times that I took some good hits to the nose. Fortunately, none of them resulted in a break, although you'd never know it, by the amount of blood.

Like I said, it seems like injuries come with the package, and I'm cool with that. Its the injuries that are a result of some clown who has no control that I hate. I do have to say though, that payback is a *****. I've had the chance on more than one time, to "remind" the person of what I said earlier, when it was my time to perform the move. ;)

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've had a number of injuries...most around the time I turned 37. :(

My oldest injury is a lump on my big toe fro gout, but it started after I broke the thing wrestling in Junior Highschool (got it caught in the mat).

I get a sore shoulder sometimes from where someone landed a nsty axe kick.

I have a rib that sticks out. Grappling with my instructor aa couple of years ago, he tried to roll me and the chest compression did something to my flaoting rib. the hospital swore it wasn't broken, but that lump was not there before.

A month and a half later, I damaged my knee trying to lanf a kick...tore my ACL. Required surgery.

last october I herniated a disc in my back lifting weights. That was nasty because it ended up compressing the sciatic nerve in my leg...no fun.

Since then I've been quite healthy...i plan to keep it that way.

Peace,
Erik

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Two broken big toes from people I threw landing on them elbow first, broke my nose a couple of times when I ziggged instead of zagging. Several broken fingers from getting them caught in gi's. Too many pulled muscles to count.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
broken nose, twice (once from BJJ, the other from sparring)
broken toe (from getting stomped on)
messed up shoulder (landed wrong after being thrown)
messed up ankle (BJJ)
messed up knee (leg sweep...my foot stuck to the mat and my knee decided to go)

numerous bumps, bruises, bloody lips, jammed fingers/toes, pulled muscles, etc.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've had a few cracked ribs from sparring with guys 30 years younger than I am :lol: I keep my elbows in and a little distance now! I also had a bad wrist injury from a poorly delivered throw, but that is coming around now after a year or so (sleeping with a bowling glove on has been a blessing).

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
  • Torn muscle due to wrestling a gorilla
  • Knee surgery due to same simian.
  • A total of 311 stitches
  • A total of 12 broken bones (not including fingers... that would just be silly)
  • Nose has been broken 2 times (and since that is not technically a bone, I wrote it... so there)
  • Ear on right side messed up... I SAID THE EAR ON THE RIGHT SIDE...
  • Ego...shattered
Is there a separate thread for injuries not sustained in Martial Arts Practice...?

Gravity Hate me,
Walt

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
broken big toes
broken left ring finger knuckle
broken rib
2 broken bones in my right hand
broken little toes
pulled hamstrings
knee tendonitis
chipped orbital
chipped teeth

Actually, I am in decent shape-you should have seen the other guys during the last 33 years! :)

You can't train hard and not have some injuries/accidents. And, despite the injuries, I would not have traded a minute of it!