Indoor Rock Climbing

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I haven't found a MA school in my area yet that I am interested in attending so in the mean time I am looking to try something new, indoor rock climbing. there is this place near me, sportsrock or rockplex or something that has a bunch of indoor walls and a lot of classes for noob's like me. If you've never climbed before they ask you to talk with them about signing up the right classes, but I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to push me into classes I don't really need, the up sell you know....nature of the beast of a business and stuff....like do I need to learn "bouldering"? I only care about indoor climbing, not the outdoot stuff, so I just am looking at it from that point of view.

so any rock climbers out there that have recommendations of the techniques or stuff that I need to make sure I learn before really I am competent enough to not kill myself should I attempt to climb without specifically a teacher staring at me? The place has a rock climbing class that is like the equivalent of a cardio class while rock climbing. I'd like to get the skills and such that I would need for that.

Thanks

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well first get some training as that is essential!!! Pay attention to utilizing your hands for securing a place but not driving you up the wall. That needs to be done by your legs. (so you won't tire out to quickly) I cannot recommend more that you need to get some good instruction! Rock climbing can be very dangerous even indoors. Indoor rock climbing is a blast but..... is boring compared to climbing on real mountains. So start out with a good class and get some training then follow all safety guidelines while you are indoors and hopefully the rest of us climbers will meet you outside some day on a mountain! ;)

OP
Ping898

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Brian - my plan is for instruction first, I am not into injuries!!!! I just want to make sure I am getting the right instruction!

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They just built a brand new rock climbing wall at the gym I go to. Its not open yet but Im excited to try it out. The main wall is 4 sided and 4 stories tall. Then there are a few smaller walls also.