The Future Envisioned By Corning Glass

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From a friend's Facebook post... The technology is really neat... but I don't think that it'll be available in the NEAR future... prolly like around 20 or 30 years from now.
Will this happen in near future? I doubt it! Only the rich will have this while the poor will still deal with dial up crap!!! Cost will be outrageous to have everything in the house, car, job and city.. Taxes will be 5 times more or higher than our taxes today. Look like I will have to make at least $1.8 millions a year to support this.. Nice though!!

http://www.dump.com/2011/02/12/a-da...ith-specialty-glass-at-the-heart-of-it-video/

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The technology is all available now, just not to the scale they are describing.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's cool, I like it, and I want it. And then I want to smash it all up with a hammer.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mostly wonderful but I can't help but think of the practical disadvantages of all this touch sensitive gubbins.

It doesn't take account of the way people behave and interact with the environment. We lean on things, pile stuff on top of other stuff, accidentally bash objects etc. Writing software to understand the difference between intended and accidental contact is not a trivial excercise.

That said, we are working on touch-screen SCADA systems at present and they are pretty good for navigating systems - not so good for controlling them tho as in our case everything is key-secured and requires a bespoke keyboard :lol:.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mostly wonderful but I can't help but think of the practical disadvantages of all this touch sensitive gubbins.
Three questions:
Wouldn't all the fingerprints drive people insane? Does corning make a glass cleaner?
WTF does gubbins mean? Speak American, damn it.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:chuckles: Gubbins can have a multitude of meanings, it's one of those versatile words that can be slotted into a variety of topics.

In this case I meant it in the sense of "technolgical device or gadget". It can also, amongst other things, mean a silly person, something of no value, decorative knick-knacks and so on :lol:.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm with Sukerkin on this one - having all glass surfaces, that have to be kept clear all the time, would be really annoying.

Featherstone

White Belt
Reaction score
A toddlers play ground and a parents worst nightmare. Would be cool to implement for some things but not for everything...

Latest Discussions