I need to move

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
and I have no idea where to start.

My folks are getting old, and after my sister passed away 3 years ago I am the only one left.
At least for my mom, my dad is remarried and has a step daughter there...

But here is the kicker: How do you move across the pond?

When we got married and moved from Germany to the US, Uncle Sam took care of things...
I have not the feintest idea where to start - aside from mucking through nearly 20 years of accumulated crud....

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are either you or your husband a legal resident of the country you want to move to?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In addition to Carol's question - have you contacted the embassy for the country you wish to move to? They could probably provide you with a list of "must do's", along with contact information for any appropriate governmental agencies.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are either you or your husband a legal resident of the country you want to move to?

Yes, it's 'going home' time for me.

I have skimmed the consulate pages, because I have a small zoo.

But I am contemplating to re-home the birds and the turtle...

I need to get the paperwork on the cats rolling though...

I talked to my Mom today. It being in the middle of winter, she is having a touch of SAD I suppose...I am needed 'back home'...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, it's 'going home' time for me.

I have skimmed the consulate pages, because I have a small zoo.

But I am contemplating to re-home the birds and the turtle...

I need to get the paperwork on the cats rolling though...

I talked to my Mom today. It being in the middle of winter, she is having a touch of SAD I suppose...I am needed 'back home'...

I'm to hear about your family situation, esp. the loss of your sister. :( I hope everything goes as well as it possibly can. And btw you aren't allowed to leave MT simply because you are moving to another country. We'll miss you too much if you do. :)

If hubby is going with you, then his paperwork needs to be started right away. If he isn't then you need to focus mainly on yourself. Since 9/11, immigration paperwork has gotten tighter all over the west. If you still have your home passport, readmittance shouldn't be difficult. However, if you have a U.S. passport now, take a look at what needs to be done back home and see if you need to retain an attorney to help ease the process along. If there is paperwork to do, generally it is not a good idea to travel internationally while the process is taking place.

Other than that...having moved twice in the past 3 years, wading through the stuff is often the hardest part, both physically and emotionally. For what you are taking with you, compare rates with both a moving/freight company vs. sending it via the Postal Service or common carrier (FedEx/UPS/DHL).

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, I need to find an international mover....le'sigh.

From what I gathered Bush has not messed up international affairs too badly, they still let US citizens in the country on minimal conditions...but this poop is putting my alien status in limbo....

Something else to ponder.

(and once I get my own net set up and don't have mom looking over my shoulder ;) No worries, but for now I am here. Probably forever...)

Latest Discussions