Indian girl uses Karate to defend herself. Is Karate an effective martial art for self defense?

Tom21

White Belt
Reaction score
It is sometimes said that karate is not the best martial art for self-defense. Many people prefer Krav Maga and Jiu-Jitsu. An incident which occurred in India this year seems to prove otherwise: A girl which was attacked by two rapists magaged to beat them up so that they fled.

"The teenager punched them in the face, kicked them where it hurts most, left them bloody, battered and bewildered — and running for their lives. In Madhyamgram, the northern outskirts of Kolkata where molestation and rape are almost an everyday nightmare, the story of a fightback has turned this karate girl into an instant hero. (...)
Passersby stood stunned. Still no one came forward to help. The battered duo staggered to their feet, got back on their cycles and pedaled away, threatening to teach her a lesson. Local resident Shankari Haldar, who witnessed her in action, said, "I was stunned by her courage. She kicked and punched the youths and they fell flat. But it is unfortunate that they managed to flee. Other girls should also learn martial arts to keep such criminals at bay.""
Karate Girl Takes Down Would-Be Molesters With Well-Aimed Kicks
Karate girl kicks her way out of molesters’ clutches - The Times of India

How can Karate enable a smaller person to overpower two bigger persons? How could she do that? What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is sometimes said that karate is not the best martial art for self-defense. Many people prefer Krav Maga and Jiu-Jitsu. An incident which occurred in India this year seems to prove otherwise: A girl which was attacked by two rapists magaged to beat them up so that they fled.

"The teenager punched them in the face, kicked them where it hurts most, left them bloody, battered and bewildered — and running for their lives. In Madhyamgram, the northern outskirts of Kolkata where molestation and rape are almost an everyday nightmare, the story of a fightback has turned this karate girl into an instant hero. (...)
Passersby stood stunned. Still no one came forward to help. The battered duo staggered to their feet, got back on their cycles and pedaled away, threatening to teach her a lesson. Local resident Shankari Haldar, who witnessed her in action, said, "I was stunned by her courage. She kicked and punched the youths and they fell flat. But it is unfortunate that they managed to flee. Other girls should also learn martial arts to keep such criminals at bay.""

How can Karate enable a smaller person to overpower two bigger persons? How could she do that? What do you think?
I think it worked for her.

Other than that, I also think that it's a rather leading question/post.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Other than that, I also think that it's a rather leading question/post.

Agreed, or as Robert Conrad said...

conrad-eveready.jpg

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A lot of would-be attackers are basically cowards looking to intimidate someone they see as an easy target, and someone that fights back will leave them running. Whether karate is better or worse than other martial arts styles is kind of irrelevant, it taught her some basic fighting techniques that she was able to use in the moment to get a couple criminals to leave her alone.

Skullpunch

Green Belt
Reaction score
"Is karate a good martial art for self-defense?"

It has it's place and it has it's limitations. It obviously worked for her, which is awesome. That said, I wouldn't be jumping to such hasty conclusions and generalizations over a single incident, if we did that then karate is utterly useless because of Royce Gracie vs. *insert any karate guy that competed in early UFC*.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score

ummm... who said that? I just left karate class a few minutes ago (not even 30 minutes ago) it works. If someone says it either never tried karate or never done it right

More people like other martial arts styles?? How does that effect the effectiveness of karate???

People who dont get involved or help the victim. Sadly thats almost everywhere actually. Although if I were someone who didnt have any fighting or martial arts experience theres not much I can do. I can call the cops but that might be too late.

How does a small person beat a bigger person? Use their size against them. Get them off balance. There are other ways too.(but that's the only one I can think of currently)

Last edited:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good for the young girl!

As to Karate and self defense, who says it is no good? In fact, I think any legitimate MA properly taught and properly learned, would be good in any fight situation, especially against people who aren't versed in fighting against that art.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It has it's place and it has it's limitations. It obviously worked for her, which is awesome. That said, I wouldn't be jumping to such hasty conclusions and generalizations over a single incident, if we did that then karate is utterly useless because of Royce Gracie vs. *insert any karate guy that competed in early UFC*.

Sure. But most assailants aren't Royce Gracie. Karate may not be the best martial art to use against highly trained professional fighters, but for your average untrained jerk on the street who mostly just knows how to throw a haymaker and relies on looking scary to get their way, a couple of decent kicks and punches may be enough to make you seem like too hard of a target to bother with.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes it does, if you keep up with it and practice the foundational core it will.

Skullpunch

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sure. But most assailants aren't Royce Gracie. Karate may not be the best martial art to use against highly trained professional fighters, but for your average untrained jerk on the street who mostly just knows how to throw a haymaker and relies on looking scary to get their way, a couple of decent kicks and punches may be enough to make you seem like too hard of a target to bother with.

The point to OP was that you can't rely on a single isolated incident as proof of it's effectiveness any more than you can use Gracie vs. Karate guys - another isolated incident(s), as proof that it's useless.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"Is karate a good martial art for self-defense?"

Fighting/combat sports and self defence are not the same thing (the differences have been discussed elsewhere on this site many times) and that fact that something works (or does not work) in one field does not mean it will (or will not) work in the other. So the lack of effectiveness of [insert name of martial art here] in the UFC has absolutely no bearing on it's effectiveness for self defence.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You cannot judge an art on it's practitioners.

You don't take your karate out of your pocket and hit people with it, and then if it doesn't work say "Well that's **** it didn't work". It's you that is in the fight and you has to use what you've learnt. If you do it well, great, if you don't do we blame the art or the student?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fighting/combat sports and self defence are not the same thing (the differences have been discussed elsewhere on this site many times) and that fact that something works (or does not work) in one field does not mean it will (or will not) work in the other. So the lack of effectiveness of [insert name of martial art here] in the UFC has absolutely no bearing on it's effectiveness for self defence.

There are non martial arts skills that are effective for self defence. Like locking doors.

There are situational self defence moves that don't have a high percentage use in mma. Like the standing sleeper.

And there are self defence moves that are poorly thought out due to compliant training. Like backward elbows to defend bear hugs.

There is an overlap where techniques will work in training and therefore have a higher percentage of working in a fight.

But as a statement made in general like you did. It just isnt true.

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

It isn't. The preference for Krav Maga or Bjj is because if the karate practitioner gets tackled or ends up on the ground they're pretty much done for. Additionally other striking styles (mainly forms of boxing) teaches more effective fighting tactics, like head movement and footwork. KM, MMA, and Bjj incorporates what works, and actively evolve their respective systems constantly. Karate by and large does not, and prefers to adhere to tradition above everything else.

The majority of Karate is simply too archaic for the modern world. There are modern styles that buck this trend (namely Kyokushin and its descendant systems), but for the most part, you're better off doing something else if you can.

That's probably not the case for this little girl, so at least she had something instead of nothing.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the karate practitioner gets tackled or ends up on the ground they're pretty much done for.

Actually, no they aren't. You may choose not to believe it but many karateka do know how to cope with being taken down and it's karate that's taught them.
Just because you believe that karate is useless doesn't make it so, you constantly repeating that it doesn't work doesn't make it so either. What it does show is that your lack of knowledge is hindering your ability to make an unbiased critique of karate. Also bear in mind that 'karate' is a generic term much like 'Hoover' is for vacuum cleaner, you know little about it other than the short time you took Shotokan and left deciding it was pants. I went to a BJJ class not so long ago when it opened at a local sports centre, the teaching was poor, the techniques badly executed, that makes it a bad class and a poor instructor, it doesn't make BJJ a bad style and I don't go posting about the place that people shouldn't do BJJ as it won't help in any way.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, no they aren't.

Actually yes they are. It makes perfect sense given that that range of fighting wasn't deemed important when Karate was formulated. The problem is that now in the modern day that range of fighting (along with stand up) has matured and Karate simply hasn't modernized itself to meet those changing dynamics. If you value pre-arranged forms and traditions, than by all means. However, if someone was learning how to fight I wouldn't suggest a karate school unless it was Kyukushin or similar.

BTW, I never said that Karate was "pants". I said that its better than nothing and that the more modern variations derived from Kyukushin are just fine.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm 1st post on the forum is to post a thread about a topic thats beat to death around here. Then the resident BJJ fan boy shows up shortly after to "pounce" lol

Latest Discussions