Increasing recovery time.

minn8325

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So what is your weekly schedule. So the first question is what does your week look like?

what’s your template?

as far as Goggin’s he’s a freak or genetically special. He’s not a normal guy he works out 365 days a year and runs ultra marathons. He’s like a Falcon telling a bunch of penguins they don’t want to fly enough that’s why they can’t fly.

OP
P

PhilE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You won't get any criticism from me about being a vegan. Of my 15 years as a vegetarian the first 6 of them I was vegan and I was definitely healthier and felt better as a vegan than as a vegetarian and way better than I had felt eating the SAD. I think it takes more work to do veganism well, but I think it's a great way to go if you can put the work in. I'm currently a conscientious omnivore as my diet is an ever changing experiment in optimization, but I would consider trying veganism again if I didn't think my wife might leave me!

I agree about the carbs. I found when I topped about 44 years old that I really had to do a low and slow carb diet if I wanted to stay slim.

If I eat biscuits too late in the day, I'll literally wake up with them on my waistline. Its amazing. Definitely becomes harder to maintain the metabolism I find. Early morning workouts keep me slim and 'normal.'

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If I eat biscuits too late in the day, I'll literally wake up with them on my waistline. Its amazing. Definitely becomes harder to maintain the metabolism I find. Early morning workouts keep me slim and 'normal.'
well almost definetly not, its impossible to either gain or lose more than an ounce of fat a day, , so what ever is on your waist line isnt fat, possibly water, if the biscuits have sodium in them, but even then its shouldnt really be noticable unless your using a micrometer

Lisa lyons

Orange Belt
Reaction score
but I don't think we should be telling other people what to eat.
:wtf: you said you were always tired. mostly this is recovery & to recover you also need to eat well. maybe you are not. maybe sometimes you should listen to other people. Vegiearians are mostly radical anyway !

There are a few athletes yes even bodybuilders like Bill Pearl.

In 2003 with co-author Kim Shott, Pearl published his autobiography, Beyond the Universe: The Bill Pearl Story. Pearl became a vegetarian at age 39 and is the best-known vegetarian bodybuilder. Bill's diet is lacto-ovo vegetarian, which means he eats eggs and dairy products.

Last edited:

Lisa lyons

Orange Belt
Reaction score
this made me laugh...sorry but what an old wives tale ! you really do not understand diet & recovery at all !! Biscuits...o_O

OP
P

PhilE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So what is your weekly schedule. So the first question is what does your week look like?

what’s your template?

as far as Goggin’s he’s a freak or genetically special. He’s not a normal guy he works out 365 days a year and runs ultra marathons. He’s like a Falcon telling a bunch of penguins they don’t want to fly enough that’s why they can’t fly.

Thanks mate, I'll post a schedule shortly.

I'd say people like Goggins are using their muscles correctly, that is a correct balance of white and red muscles. But perhaps he's also just a rare example.

minn8325

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks mate, I'll post a schedule shortly.

I'd say people like Goggins are using their muscles correctly, that is a correct balance of white and red muscles. But perhaps he's also just a rare example.
very rare, roganites have made Goggins and Hanes into some sort of roll model. It would be like spending 23 hours a day in a library to become a genius.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies all.

Have some muscular/skeletal issues, lower back in particular. I also teach what can be an intense form of yoga, we are expected to train the same amount of time that we teach. From the years I've trained in India, I have occasional IBS but nothing too chronic.

I'm in my 40's, but apart from the issues I've mentioned I pretty much feel the same. In fact, my recovery time hasn't slowed down, its the same as when I as 20. (healing from injuries may have slowed down, so I train with more awareness aiming to relax and breath more in between techniques) But when I was 20, there were far less responsibilities in life so recovery time wasn't an issue.

The 4 or 5 weekly sessions I do, are usually 1.5 hrs. We train to the absolute limits usually, and then push it out some more. Taekwondo, so mainly explosive kicks plus circuit training. Stopped training for a year, before that was doing a much gentler WC class.

Been watching lots of Goggins videos recently; he's the same age as me. He stresses he's a normal guy who just trains loads. I'd like to get into that territory. But with debilitating recovery times, that becomes impractical. And there's no self defense in walking around exhausted.

Bit of a hard time in life right now, this is my relief that keeps my head clear and on my shoulders. So really need to keep training!
I’ll give you some anecdotes from my own history.

I’ll be 50 in late April this year, so it sounds like I’m a bit older than you. Been training martial arts since age 13, and have had an interest in fitness since before that, running and strength training. As an adult, training has been my mainstay and my passion, and I would often spend somewhere near 20 hours a week training, in addition to having a job and a marriage. Training three times in a day, and sessions lasting as long as four hours at a time, were common.

In my early forties I became a parent, and suddenly my time and energy did not belong to me anymore. Over a period of about four years my training dwindled to almost non-existent and I fell out of shape.

Now my son is old enough that he doesn’t need all of my time, and for the last three or so years I have been working to get my training back. For a couple years I was very hit-and-miss, and that start and stop has been difficult. With Covid I lost my employment and I’ve had time to focus on my training again and have finally regained some real consistency. I still have interruptions at times, sometimes even for a couple weeks, but mostly my consistency is good.

I don’t have a bad next day, but I find that after I train, I need a nap. I often sleep through the family evening movie, before going to bed. I think a lot of it has to do with my age, slowing metabolism. Improvement comes more slowly than it did when I was younger and I lose it more quickly if I lapse. But the consistency seems to be really important. I can endure it more easily when I don’t miss sessions.

Another thing I wanted to point out was making sure you have been checked for any health issues. My younger brother has always been an athlete, having competed at State level in high school cross-country, track, and swimming. He maintained a very active lifestyle as an adult. In recent years as a parent, he fell out of shape, and was working to correct that. But he couldn’t seem to make any progress in his running. He was consulting with his doctor, was about to have a stress test but had to postpone because his blood pressure was really high. Then he had a heart-attack at age 44, about a year and a half ago. He survived it, woke in the middle of the night and realized what was happening and got to the emergency room. If he hadn’t woke up when he did, he wouldn’t have woke up again.

So this is just one example, but get your health checked to be sure you don’t have something lurking in the background.

D

Deleted member 39746

Just going to say it looks like over training. And that some people forget that when proffesonals do a weeks worth of training its alterating S&C and technical on their rest days, they dont go lifting 50kg weights to exaustion every day.

it would just be seek medical aid, if you want to or are doing it proffesionally consult the trainers on the matter. I dont know how apt just do technical work on rest days would be as you could have underlying issue and can still over train even with that. But consutling people shouldnt hurt. (pretty much repeating wha tothers have said, i kind of wish the myth of traing to exaustion daily didnt exist as its just harmful)

And oh boy, your recovery time steadily decreases as you get older, once you hit your apex its down from there and increasingly deminishing returns.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you just train mad skills or are you training rehab sessions as well?

So for the TKD, are you also doing bulk squats and box jumps?

Otherwise swimming and water work should help. Regardless of how banged up you get you can pretty much do swimming on top of your training. And so you still get those recovery sessions without doing more damage.

OP
P

PhilE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I’ll give you some anecdotes from my own history.

I’ll be 50 in late April this year, so it sounds like I’m a bit older than you. Been training martial arts since age 13, and have had an interest in fitness since before that, running and strength training. As an adult, training has been my mainstay and my passion, and I would often spend somewhere near 20 hours a week training, in addition to having a job and a marriage. Training three times in a day, and sessions lasting as long as four hours at a time, were common.

In my early forties I became a parent, and suddenly my time and energy did not belong to me anymore. Over a period of about four years my training dwindled to almost non-existent and I fell out of shape.

Now my son is old enough that he doesn’t need all of my time, and for the last three or so years I have been working to get my training back. For a couple years I was very hit-and-miss, and that start and stop has been difficult. With Covid I lost my employment and I’ve had time to focus on my training again and have finally regained some real consistency. I still have interruptions at times, sometimes even for a couple weeks, but mostly my consistency is good.

I don’t have a bad next day, but I find that after I train, I need a nap. I often sleep through the family evening movie, before going to bed. I think a lot of it has to do with my age, slowing metabolism. Improvement comes more slowly than it did when I was younger and I lose it more quickly if I lapse. But the consistency seems to be really important. I can endure it more easily when I don’t miss sessions.

Another thing I wanted to point out was making sure you have been checked for any health issues. My younger brother has always been an athlete, having competed at State level in high school cross-country, track, and swimming. He maintained a very active lifestyle as an adult. In recent years as a parent, he fell out of shape, and was working to correct that. But he couldn’t seem to make any progress in his running. He was consulting with his doctor, was about to have a stress test but had to postpone because his blood pressure was really high. Then he had a heart-attack at age 44, about a year and a half ago. He survived it, woke in the middle of the night and realized what was happening and got to the emergency room. If he hadn’t woke up when he did, he wouldn’t have woke up again.

So this is just one example, but get your health checked to be sure you don’t have something lurking in the background.

Sorry to hear of your brother, and hope he's doing loads better now.

We certainly have to train wiser, even at a young age. Covid has also affected my employment, so doing intense sessions really helps the mind, and promotes very deep sleep. I'm lucky in that I still have the fitness I had in my 20's, however nature always has a price and in my case I've been warned against taking anymore blows to the head. There's also some bones and ligaments in my body, which could just not take another injury.

I'm a keen musician also, my home has a music studio upstairs and the living room is a training area. I avoided marriage to live my passions.

The condition I do have isn't just incorrect recruitment of muscles, as I mentioned. It's something deeper than that. Muscular tension is a reflection in something going on in the mind and/or body, and gives rise to a whole range of issues. I'd say the main manifestations nowadays are back problems and depression. If you go to the doctor for back problems in the UK, you'll get pills. For mental stress, more pills.

In Tai Chi, Ch Gung and yoga, the first and last thing that is addressed is this excess of tension. Its viewed as a disease and a potentially serious one.

Some western holistic approaches have looked into it also. I remember reading years ago a book on Alexander Technique. The author, Frederick Alexander, kept running out of gas on stage. He put it down to an excess of tension in the body. He was permanently stuck in flight or fight mode basically.

It's certainly worth getting a health check up, and I take on your advice there.

minn8325

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I’d start with the basic movements, front to back, side to side, silk reeling. You can combine the basics with mindfulness practice and get a lot out of it. Once you have those start learning animal frolics or the weapon stuff(I like the double bang)

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

We certainly have to train wiser, even at a young age. Covid has also affected my employment, so doing intense sessions really helps the mind, and promotes very deep sleep. I'm lucky in that I still have the fitness I had in my 20's, however nature always has a price and in my case I've been warned against taking anymore blows to the head. There's also some bones and ligaments in my body, which could just not take another injury.

I'm a keen musician also, my home has a music studio upstairs and the living room is a training area. I avoided marriage to live my passions.

The condition I do have isn't just incorrect recruitment of muscles, as I mentioned. It's something deeper than that. Muscular tension is a reflection in something going on in the mind and/or body, and gives rise to a whole range of issues. I'd say the main manifestations nowadays are back problems and depression. If you go to the doctor for back problems in the UK, you'll get pills. For mental stress, more pills.

In Tai Chi, Ch Gung and yoga, the first and last thing that is addressed is this excess of tension. Its viewed as a disease and a potentially serious one.

Some western holistic approaches have looked into it also. I remember reading years ago a book on Alexander Technique. The author, Frederick Alexander, kept running out of gas on stage. He put it down to an excess of tension in the body. He was permanently stuck in flight or fight mode basically.

It's certainly worth getting a health check up, and I take on your advice there.
My brother is doing fine, thanks. He is back up to running seven miles at a shot, which is more than I run.

If you are having back troubles, perhaps a chiropractor could help. They cannot cure every back problem, but for some things they are excellent, I have benefitted a lot over the years from that treatment.

I also sleep much better when I am wearing myself out during the day, hence the steady workouts. I had a very stressful job for many years, and when I left that job about 3 1/2 years ago it took a long time to wind down from that and my sleep was very difficult. In some ways I feel like I am just now coming back to normal and shedding the last of that anxiety that came from the stress of that job.

The rat race is a killer. I hate it.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

but your exercise program looks more like a stress reaction than a way of tackling stress, exesive anything is generaly bad for you and indicative of mental health issues, if a friend was excesivly eating, you might advise against that, that advice is rqaually valid for someone thats excesivly exercising, like eating there a healthy amount and a less than healthy amount in both directions

performance atheletes dont generally train like that, not in the medium term at least, its all about incremental improvement , not binge exercising.

footballers( soccer players) train so they have sufficient rest / recovery to be in peak condition once or twice a week,

if they end up playing 3 games in 10 days, there complains that it over taxing them and leading to injuries, but thats less than your doing with 5 hour and a half intence sessions a week.

forget exercise for exercises sake, pick some performance goals and use exercise of a sensible way of achieving that

OP
P

PhilE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
but your exercise program looks more like a stress reaction than a way of tackling stress, exesive anything is generaly bad for you and indicative of mental health issues, if a friend was excesivly eating, you might advise against that, that advice is rqaually valid for someone thats excesivly exercising, like eating there a healthy amount and a less than healthy amount in both directions

performance atheletes dont generally train like that, not in the medium term at least, its all about incremental improvement , not binge exercising.

footballers( soccer players) train so they have sufficient rest / recovery to be in peak condition once or twice a week,

if they end up playing 3 games in 10 days, there complains that it over taxing them and leading to injuries, but thats less than your doing with 5 hour and a half intence sessions a week.

forget exercise for exercises sake, pick some performance goals and use exercise of a sensible way of achieving that

Well, martial arts is a method for dealing with the stresses of life. Of course, its necessary for it to not also be a source of stress.

I'd agree that too much of certain types of training, is counter productive. Even seated meditation, can exacerbate back problems if the seating pose is incorrect and held for longer than the body is accustomed to. In fact, hatha yoga came about to rectify the problems that Buddhist mediators were experience in around 500AD, sitting for a long time when the body wasn't prepared for it.

True about the soccer players, and top athletes. Rest is indeed important.

Last edited:
OP
P

PhilE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My brother is doing fine, thanks. He is back up to running seven miles at a shot, which is more than I run.

If you are having back troubles, perhaps a chiropractor could help. They cannot cure every back problem, but for some things they are excellent, I have benefitted a lot over the years from that treatment.

I also sleep much better when I am wearing myself out during the day, hence the steady workouts. I had a very stressful job for many years, and when I left that job about 3 1/2 years ago it took a long time to wind down from that and my sleep was very difficult. In some ways I feel like I am just now coming back to normal and shedding the last of that anxiety that came from the stress of that job.

The rat race is a killer. I hate it.

Glad your brother is up and running. That's some serious mileage.

Which I could afford to see a chiropractor, or an osteopath or masseuse!

Good that you are letting that anxiety go, I'm still dealing with my father passing away. Completely messed up my state of mind for years. Intense workouts really do help, but not if they are draining the energy.

I skipped Taekwondo class last night, just doing yoga and chi gung tonight. Will put more time into that sort of practice, and do Taekwondo 3-4 times per week for now.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, martial arts is a method for dealing with the stresses of life. Of course, its necessary for it to not also be a source of stress.

I'd agree that too much of certain types of training, is counter productive. Even seated meditation, can exacerbate back problems if the seating pose is incorrect and held for longer than the body is accustomed to.
well no not really, to much of any exercise is harmful, to your health and your well being.

at its best its of no tangible use to you at all, beyond filling up a couple of hours of your day.

what are you spending an hour and a half x 5 actually trainibg to do, that couldnt be equally well achieved at 2x i hour a week

thats not a trick question, its the very essance of performance training to set a performance goal and find the most efficient ( which includes rest and recovery) way of getting there, as adequate recovery will speed up your progess to the goal

OP
P

PhilE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
well no not really, to much of any exercise is harmful, to your health and your well being.

at its best its of no tangible use to you at all, beyond filling up a couple of hours of your day.

what are you spending an hour and a half x 5 actually trainibg to do, that couldnt be equally well achieved at 2x i hour a week

thats not a trick question, its the very essance of performance training to set a performance goal and find the most efficient ( which includes rest and recovery) way of getting there, as adequate recovery will speed up your progess to the goal

Like I said, I'll be going down to 3 times per week, with the intense sessions. And then training chi gung and yoga more. Will see how that goes.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Like I said, I'll be going down to 3 times per week, with the intense sessions. And then training chi gung and yoga more. Will see how that goes.
id jusy as the same question

what is the performance standard your training to achieve, if you havent got one how do you know that your training is actually working well or at all?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Glad your brother is up and running. That's some serious mileage.

Which I could afford to see a chiropractor, or an osteopath or masseuse!

Good that you are letting that anxiety go, I'm still dealing with my father passing away. Completely messed up my state of mind for years. Intense workouts really do help, but not if they are draining the energy.

I skipped Taekwondo class last night, just doing yoga and chi gung tonight. Will put more time into that sort of practice, and do Taekwondo 3-4 times per week for now.
Are you in the US or the UK? Here in the US insurance will often cover some amount of chiropractic treatment and often massage as well. It depends on your plan though.

I’m sorry to hear about your father. Grief is a weird thing and I think people deal with it in different ways. Some are able to move on quickly, others not so much. But I think it can get into your sub conscience and create stress and physical manifestations as well. Get some help if you are struggling with it.