Increasing recovery time.

PhilE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So the bane of my training, has been the next day 'hangover.'

Wouldn't say its an age thing either, been happening since I was 15 years old. Functioning the next day can be very challenging, when all you want to do is sleep. And that's after 9 hours of sleep.

Lately, I'm trying to train as much as possible. I get 4-5 intense weekly sessions, and then my own gentle practice.

Don't drink,smoke nor take drugs. Junk food is low to non existent.

I know that we're supposed to get enough sleep, eat well and hydrate. Avoiding stress is probably key, but my way of dealing with stress is to train!

Any tips, much appreciated.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Wouldn't say its an age thing either, been happening since I was 15 years old. Functioning the next day can be very challenging, when all you want to do is sleep. And that's after 9 hours of sleep.

Lately, I'm trying to train as much as possible. I get 4-5 intense weekly sessions, and then my own gentle practice.

I know that we're supposed to get enough sleep, eat well and hydrate. Avoiding stress is probably key, but my way of dealing with stress is to train!

overtraining is a " thing" .under recovery, is most definitely a " thing"

it sounds like your doing both! or maybe you have some underlying issue, being tired and stiff is one thing, wanting to sleep all day is another entirely

the effects of exercise are cumulative , both the good bits and the bad, , if the exercise isnt increasing the quality of your life, over time, then your doing it wrong or doing to much of the wrong thing or even to much of the right thing .

i have no idea what your actual exercise programme looks like, but at the simplest if doing 5 high intensity session a week make you feel like #### then try doing three, then try two , then one, and take up knitting for stress relief

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I think you have diagnosed your own problem. Work out less and go for the bacon cheeseburger and shake! You'll feel much better. :D

Seriously, I do think you may be too intense in your workouts. Rather than working out intensely and then doing gentile practice, try mixing the two, interspersing them. MA, especially, is a balance of hard and soft, so don't see them as being separate; each workout should be a mix.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How old are you?

You describe your sessions as intense, what does this mean? How long do they last? What is the physical intensity like?

Do you have any medical conditions, and have you been checked by your doctor?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My response is mostly what jobo said, with the added part of-have you been checked for any medical problems, like thyroid issues, anemia, or lyme disease to name a few. Especially since you've been doing this since 15, it may be unrelated (or only semi-related) to exercise.

As a side note, while mentally training may help with stress, to your body after a point it might just be making the effects worse-if you're stressed when you're not working out that means you're not relaxing when you're not working out, so you don't have any actual recovery time for your body.

OP
P

PhilE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies all.

Have some muscular/skeletal issues, lower back in particular. I also teach what can be an intense form of yoga, we are expected to train the same amount of time that we teach. From the years I've trained in India, I have occasional IBS but nothing too chronic.

I'm in my 40's, but apart from the issues I've mentioned I pretty much feel the same. In fact, my recovery time hasn't slowed down, its the same as when I as 20. (healing from injuries may have slowed down, so I train with more awareness aiming to relax and breath more in between techniques) But when I was 20, there were far less responsibilities in life so recovery time wasn't an issue.

The 4 or 5 weekly sessions I do, are usually 1.5 hrs. We train to the absolute limits usually, and then push it out some more. Taekwondo, so mainly explosive kicks plus circuit training. Stopped training for a year, before that was doing a much gentler WC class.

Been watching lots of Goggins videos recently; he's the same age as me. He stresses he's a normal guy who just trains loads. I'd like to get into that territory. But with debilitating recovery times, that becomes impractical. And there's no self defense in walking around exhausted.

Bit of a hard time in life right now, this is my relief that keeps my head clear and on my shoulders. So really need to keep training!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Have some muscular/skeletal issues, lower back in particular. I also teach what can be an intense form of yoga, we are expected to train the same amount of time that we teach. From the years I've trained in India, I have occasional IBS but nothing too chronic.

I'm in my 40's, but apart from the issues I've mentioned I pretty much feel the same. In fact, my recovery time hasn't slowed down, its the same as when I as 20. (healing from injuries may have slowed down, so I train with more awareness aiming to relax and breath more in between techniques) But when I was 20, there were far less responsibilities in life so recovery time wasn't an issue.

The 4 or 5 weekly sessions I do, are usually 1.5 hrs. We train to the absolute limits usually, and then push it out some more. Taekwondo, so mainly explosive kicks plus circuit training. Stopped training for a year, before that was doing a much gentler WC class.

Been watching lots of Goggins videos recently; he's the same age as me. He stresses he's a normal guy who just trains loads. I'd like to get into that territory. But with debilitating recovery times, that becomes impractical. And there's no self defense in walking around exhausted.

Bit of a hard time in life right now, this is my relief that keeps my head clear and on my shoulders. So really need to keep training!
Given what you're saying I think the main things for you might be to decrease the number of weekly sessions, maybe try 3 a week and see if that helps, and find a non-physical stress relief. On top of getting a checkup just to make sure there's nothing new going on if there's any concern for that; it's always good to be safe with that.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The 4 or 5 weekly sessions I do, are usually 1.5 hrs.
After your training, if you feel tired, that's too much. If you "feel great", that's the right amount. To be able to "feel great" is the key. You train because you enjoy of doing it, and not because you force yourself to do it.

Also try not to fall into a certain pattern on your daily training. If you live 365 days just like to live 1 day, that's wrong.

1. No pain, no gain.
2. You train for fun.

1 < 2.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with what a lot of others have been saying about over training. I also wonder about diet. You say that you have mild IBS and I see that you also trained yoga in India. Are you vegetarian/vegan? I was a vegetarian for 15 years and I know that it's quite possible to get enough protein from vegetarian sources and that in the US anyway we have an obsession with protein that is extreme. All that being true, it's also possible to eat too little protein if you're doing a lot of serious workouts.

Running on the vegetarian assumption, I know that beans are frequently a problem for people suffering from IBS and they are also one of the easiest quality vegetable sources of protein. When I was a vegetarian I found that consciously adding about 20 grams/day of protein to my diet noticeably improved my recovery times. I wasn't attacking things in a scientific fashion so I probably also increased my over all calories at the same time. Either way, and regardless of whether you are a vegetarian or not, you might experiment with your calorie and macro-nutrient intake and see if bumping protein and/or total calories (through quality sources) improves things.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

im not sure you ambition to train even more is the best idea at this point, if i were you, id have a week or two off, to let everything heal/ settle down, if you still feel rough after a rest, then id strongly suspect something else was wrong.

then slowly ramp it up, if you feel fine and then reach a point were you dont, youve found your limit, you can still build on that, but slowly

id also echo MBs point some "health food" isnt very healthy, if you actualy want to do things

OP
P

PhilE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree with what a lot of others have been saying about over training. I also wonder about diet. You say that you have mild IBS and I see that you also trained yoga in India. Are you vegetarian/vegan? I was a vegetarian for 15 years and I know that it's quite possible to get enough protein from vegetarian sources and that in the US anyway we have an obsession with protein that is extreme. All that being true, it's also possible to eat too little protein if you're doing a lot of serious workouts.

Running on the vegetarian assumption, I know that beans are frequently a problem for people suffering from IBS and they are also one of the easiest quality vegetable sources of protein. When I was a vegetarian I found that consciously adding about 20 grams/day of protein to my diet noticeably improved my recovery times. I wasn't attacking things in a scientific fashion so I probably also increased my over all calories at the same time. Either way, and regardless of whether you are a vegetarian or not, you might experiment with your calorie and macro-nutrient intake and see if bumping protein and/or total calories (through quality sources) improves things.

Few parasites plus heavy drugs for said parasites, caused the IBS. Yes, was vegetarian but quitting dairy on doctors advice helped loads.

Don't want the conversation to go sideways here, yes I'm vegan in diet but my best friend eats meat, my trainers eat meat.

My protein intake is massive, if anything have to be careful not to overdo the protein. More hydration and less coffee may help!

Too much carbs causes an excess of body fat, for me anyway.

OP
P

PhilE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
im not sure you ambition to train even more is the best idea at this point, if i were you, id have a week or two off, to let everything heal/ settle down, if you still feel rough after a rest, then id strongly suspect something else was wrong.

then slowly ramp it up, if you feel fine and then reach a point were you dont, youve found your limit, you can still build on that, but slowly

Get what you're saying. Its usually one day of incredible tiredness, then wake up the next day feeling great. Wish I could train twice per day intensely though, because it feels so good.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Get what you're saying. Its usually one day of incredible tiredness, then wake up the next day feeling great. Wish I could train twice per day intensely though, because it feels so good.
but thats not a normal healthy reaction of a fit person,to vicious exercise, thats what happens to people who have been inactive for years who suddenly go and do something

OP
P

PhilE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
but thats not a normal healthy reaction of a fit person,to vicious exercise, thats what happens to people who have been inactive for years who suddenly go and do something

I'm guessing I'm over using the white or fast twitch muscles, that is the muscle groups responsive for explosive energy. Using them for the job of the postural or red muscles, so that they get no rest and then leave you feeling exhausted.

Sure you know, but correct muscle use is like a cat about to pounce; no tension whatsoever. That's where the power and speed are coming from. So the muscles for a strike should be switched off, when you're not actually making the strike. And that's not the case with me.

So more relaxation work is necessary!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm guessing I'm over using the white or fast twitch muscles, that is the muscle groups responsive for explosive energy. Using them for the job of the postural or red muscles, so that they get no rest and then leave you feeling exhausted.

Sure you know, but correct muscle use is like a cat about to pounce; no tension whatsoever. That's where the power and speed are coming from. So the muscles for a strike should be switched off, when you're not actually making the strike. And that's not the case with me.

So more relaxation work is necessary!
ok, it still shouldnt be leaving you like it is , but your clearly not going to take" slow down a bit" or" have a rest " as advice, so il leave it with you!

Lisa lyons

Orange Belt
Reaction score
ok, it still shouldnt be leaving you like it is , but your clearly not going to take" slow down a bit" or" have a rest " as advice, so il leave it with you!

looking through the thread i would say eat meat! or at least a good diet of Fish. I am also weak due to illness but i find Fish & many oils help me.
you are clearly under eating (the correct foods)

OP
P

PhilE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Not at all, I take on board what you are saying. Thanks.

OP
P

PhilE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
looking through the thread i would say eat meat! or at least a good diet of Fish. I am also weak due to illness but i find Fish & many oils help me.
you are clearly under eating (the correct foods)

I'm sure you mean well, but I don't think we should be telling other people what to eat. I'm vegan in diet and don't preach to meat eaters. If we could simply respect each others choice of diet, regardless of our opinion, there's no room for fall out. Giving up dairy helped me, but that doesn't mean it would necessarily help someone else.

There's plenty of athletes who do eat meat, and athletes who don't.
But I'd rather stay on topic.

Weakness definitely isn't an issue for me, neither is stamina, power etc. Recovery time is something I'd like to reduce.

Last edited:

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Few parasites plus heavy drugs for said parasites, caused the IBS. Yes, was vegetarian but quitting dairy on doctors advice helped loads.

Don't want the conversation to go sideways here, yes I'm vegan in diet but my best friend eats meat, my trainers eat meat.

My protein intake is massive, if anything have to be careful not to overdo the protein. More hydration and less coffee may help!

Too much carbs causes an excess of body fat, for me anyway.
You won't get any criticism from me about being a vegan. Of my 15 years as a vegetarian the first 6 of them I was vegan and I was definitely healthier and felt better as a vegan than as a vegetarian and way better than I had felt eating the SAD. I think it takes more work to do veganism well, but I think it's a great way to go if you can put the work in. I'm currently a conscientious omnivore as my diet is an ever changing experiment in optimization, but I would consider trying veganism again if I didn't think my wife might leave me!

I agree about the carbs. I found when I topped about 44 years old that I really had to do a low and slow carb diet if I wanted to stay slim.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it takes more work to do veganism well, but I think it's a great way to go if you can put the work in. I'm currently a conscientious omnivore as my diet is an ever changing experiment in optimization, but I would consider trying veganism again if I didn't think my wife might leave me!

I have the opposite problem. I'm a lazy omnivore who always ate a good deal of meat. But my wife went vegetarian, and then totally vegan (as did our kids). No sweat. As long as she does the cooking I'll eat anything that tastes good. And most of what she comes up with tastes damn good! And, if occasionally it doesn't taste great, of course I eat it anyway. After all, I may be a little slow, but not a total idiot. :)

Latest Discussions