Impact weapons?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
jks9199,
Thanks for those links. I do know about the autolocks, we have tested them to see if they would work well in our area of the four seasons. Our results were a mixed bag of pros and cons.
Any weapon is a balance; expandable batons are, by definition, not as solid as a hickory stick or other solid stick. But you can carry it around a whole lot easier than a straight stick... Which means that it's got a much better chance of being with you when you need it, instead of strapped on top of your war bag. Within the expandables, you've got other tradeoffs, like you CAN thrust with an Autolock -- but you can't with an ASP or other friction lock baton.

The bottom line is -- like so much -- you gotta find what'll work for you in your situation.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've never carried a sap. My image of it is all from the movies--a K.O. weapon to be used from behind. Has anyone used one in self-defense?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never carried a sap. My image of it is all from the movies--a K.O. weapon to be used from behind. Has anyone used one in self-defense?

They're remarkably versatile and useful. A good sap can be anything from gentle remonstrance to deadly force depending on what part of the body you hit with what part of the sap, bruise, break, concuss, kill, cause pain or deaden a limb for a while. Hit someone in the back of the head and the results are going to be in the concussion to death part of the spectrum. Whack a bicep or thigh and it will be towards the other end.

Unfortunately, saps are illegal to carry most places and illegal to own in many. I happen to be lucky enough to live in an area where they can be carried legally as long as they are not concealed. Of course, if you carry one you run a serious risk of getting Officer Friendly's undivided and unsympathetic attention.

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Any weapon is a balance; expandable batons are, by definition, not as solid as a hickory stick or other solid stick. But you can carry it around a whole lot easier than a straight stick... Which means that it's got a much better chance of being with you when you need it, instead of strapped on top of your war bag. Within the expandables, you've got other tradeoffs, like you CAN thrust with an Autolock -- but you can't with an ASP or other friction lock baton.

The bottom line is -- like so much -- you gotta find what'll work for you in your situation.

I have to disagree about the thrusting. I've been practising fencing-like thrusts on heavy bags for a while and it has not once "un-locked" on me. To "un-lock" the baton you must strike a hard un-movable surface. The only reason that it would "un-luck" is because one did not use enough force (Perhaps from momentum) to lock the rods into place well or it was oiled or something along those lines.

One can get quite accurate with the thrusts. Targeting the throat, the eyes, or other soft areas would not "un-lock" it. The solar plexus and the skull are more risky, but one can lock it again easily using momentum and it is also possible to lock it as you strike. And if collapsed the handle can be used as a "pocket stick".

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I also thrust all the time on a heavy bag with no problem. As a matter of fact I need concrete or something similar to collapse my ASP.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brian,
That is why I stand by that ole 12" steel ball stick of mine.

That is a brutally effective tool!
icon6.gif

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Duuuuude...I would rather cut out my tongue that disagree with a Dark Lord, but Asp sucks...I have carried an Monadnock expandable for years and never had a problem..PLUS to close it its just a push of a button, no wacking it on the ground..We all have our likes and dislikes..And I STILL carry my old PR-24 in my cruiser case every shift..

Hey Drac that is fine everyone has to use what they like. I do not like the feel of the Monadnock as well. I do agree that closing an ASP is a pain at times when closing it. However, they have never malfunctioned for me in any way. I like the ASP because it is closer to the stick that I am familiar with and that is one of the major reasons why I like them. I have also probably spent several thousand hours banging on a heavy bag with them so I am pretty familiar with it by now.

On a side note the old PR-24 is a great old trusty tool. Technologically the Monadnock is a step up but that old trust one is still a good one.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On a side note the old PR-24 is a great old trusty tool. Technologically the Monadnock is a step up but that old trust one is still a good one.

I couldn't agree more..I carried it as an Aux Officer before I carried a sidearm...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The headache, in my opinion (and that of a few DT instructors plus other cops that I've chatte with), of the PR-24 is that it takes more training to be safely effective, and it requires that the user practice more consistently to maintain that effectiveness. Look at the Rodney King video; PR-24s were used, and nobody was using them effectively. There's very little, outside of the circular/rotational strikes using the side-handle, that you can do with a PR-24 that you can't do with a straight stick. (As an aside... there are collapsable models of the PR-24.)

Batleth

White Belt
Reaction score
I usually carry a mini-mag, or a kubaton. When I'm at work (I'm a RN-Paramedic) I usually carry a pair of those curved EMT shears. They make a great impact kerambit.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have a few pieces that I have carried at various times in the past and still keep close.

Worden Travel Wrench -- One in the visor of the car, and one in the gear bag for training. I like it and train with it often.

Keating Stinger -- Light and easy to carry with a Rivercity sheath I got it with. I like it and carry one in the gear bag to train with. I put the keychain sheath on the keys from time to time, but it's not EDC.

Combative Customs cane -- This has been going everywhere lately. It's bulletproof and low key. I make these BTW. It's .750 solid fiberglass with a red Oak handle.
cane1.jpg

Saps -- What can I say... I made these too.:D
I don't carry one, but feel they are would be much better than a knife when used properly. They do not need to be used with lethal intent to be effective, and would expose you to much less bio-hazard should you employ one. They have certainly been making a comeback in popularity.
forsale.jpg

Bill, I like the cane. Looks very low key , most ordinary folks wouldn't ping to it's potential.

Bill Bednarick

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bill, I like the cane. Looks very low key , most ordinary folks wouldn't ping to it's potential.

Yup that it the point of it. Unseen, yet powerful.

I cut down a 2" Poplar tree with the one in the picture. Took 3 hits, but hey it is a TREE after all.
My wife suddenly understood why I had this particular "stick" along for our walk after she saw that.;)

Latest Discussions