Immigrants Lawyers Challenge Tactics

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this today. This happened a while back, but it appears to be just getting to court.

Lawyers representing a group of immigrants facing deportation are aggressively challenging the tactics used by federal immigration agents in raids last summer in New Haven.

The lawyers want the cases dismissed, claiming Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents violated the immigrants' constitutional rights by illegally entering their homes, arresting them without warrants and using racial profiling to target them.

Over the objections of ICE attorneys, Judge Michael W. Straus granted the hearings and heard six men testify Monday in federal immigration court in Hartford. Eleven more immigrants will have hearings during the coming weeks before Straus rules on the cases.

Now, if the LEOs doing this operation did not have warrants, shame on them, as their case probably would've been a bit stronger, and we know the lawyers for the illegals will attack that. Of course, I had to laugh to myself when I was reading this....the cops don't have the right paperwork, but then again, neither to the illegals.

Now, I have no issue, if someone wants to move to the US and better their life and the lives of their family. But, its when they sneak in, and basically don't do the right thing, and that being make sure they take the proper steps to becoming a legal US citizen.

Of course, the other part of this that I find laughable is when the lawyers for the illegals, were talking about their rights. Hmmm...how can you have rights in the US, if you're not a legal US citizen?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this today. This happened a while back, but it appears to be just getting to court.

Now, if the LEOs doing this operation did not have warrants, shame on them, as their case probably would've been a bit stronger, and we know the lawyers for the illegals will attack that. Of course, I had to laugh to myself when I was reading this....the cops don't have the right paperwork, but then again, neither to the illegals.

Now, I have no issue, if someone wants to move to the US and better their life and the lives of their family. But, its when they sneak in, and basically don't do the right thing, and that being make sure they take the proper steps to becoming a legal US citizen.

Of course, the other part of this that I find laughable is when the lawyers for the illegals, were talking about their rights. Hmmm...how can you have rights in the US, if you're not a legal US citizen?
We do grant some rights to anyone who happens to be here in the US, whether or not they're here legally or a citizen. But ICE has broad powers to pursue those illegally present, as well. There's not a lot information given regarding the process used here -- but I suspect that they had either administrative orders of deportation, or were going after people who didn't show up for deportation hearings.

What I get a laugh out of is the idea that the ICE agents were improperly racially profiling! Race is a valid element of the profile of an illegal alien; depending on where you are, I suspect that more than 3 out of 4 illegal immigrants happen to be Latino. You'll have some Eastern Europeans or other Europeans... and Nigerians (and other Africans), and so on... but the majority of illegal immigrants are probably from Central and South America.