I'm wondering...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been reading all over the place, people blogging about Palin and screaming about her lack of Experience... but then you read their other posts and they are all about the God-Candiate Obama.

WTF?

I understand Brak has a SMIDGE more Political experience than Palin, but C'mon? Really?

What gives?

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Honestly, I've seen quite a bit of "dirt" being kicked around regarding Palin, including not only her lack of experience, but things that she has done as governor, as a mother, and every other aspect of her life...including her family's lives. But there is nothing regarding the Democratic VP.

In my opinion, things are happening like this for two reasons.
First, it is painfully obvious that Palin was chosen as a political tactic. It had nothing to do with her record or her ability to do the job. The republicans chose her to try to win the minority vote or "balance" the tickets. And even if this isn't what was done, it sure does smell like it, and I believe that is the perception that a great deal of the country has. So while it was for many reasons a very good political tactic, it may backfire in other areas.
Second, I know that there is mud being slung from both sides, but as a "third party observer" (i.e. someone who doesn't care too much nor place too much opinion in the election), the McCain side is being much more vocal about it. Almost every McCain commercial has dealt with how terrible Obama is, while most of Obama's commercials deal with change and policies (and pretty pictures and video). There are not nearly as many Democratic advertisements that put down the other side. Unless they're just not airing them here! It is also very evident in the speeches....a huge portion of the interviews and speeches from the RNC were weighted very heavily toward putting down the democrats. I didn't see as much on the DNC side, but it was still certainly there.

just one opinion.....

Personally, I wish that both sides would just play it straight and let the candidates positions and actions speak for themselves. It makes me support someone less who feels that they have to sling mud to win.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What I have seen from the beginning of the campaigns to the delegates being nominated to now is an overabundance of pro Obama by all the media. If you go back I think you will see that his name has been presented by the media about 8 – 10 times as much as anyone else. It is a strange and not really subtle way of brain washing the public.

As for foreign policy well neither has much experience but then one is running for president the other for vice president. Which should have more experience when dealing with foreign powers

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What I have seen from the beginning of the campaigns to the delegates being nominated to now is an overabundance of pro Obama by all the media. If you go back I think you will see that his name has been presented by the media about 8 – 10 times as much as anyone else. It is a strange and not really subtle way of brain washing the public.

As for foreign policy well neither has much experience but then one is running for president the other for vice president. Which should have more experience when dealing with foreign powers

Very true, although completely to be expected based on the historical nature of him running. Plus, consider that everyone already knows who John McCain is based on him already having run for the nomination. I would venture to say that the majority of people had never really heard of Obama before this....

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
From The Washington Post's Ombudsman on August 17, 2008:

Democrat Barack Obama has had about a 3 to 1 advantage over Republican John McCain in Post Page 1 stories since Obama became his party's presumptive nominee June 4. Obama has generated a lot of news by being the first African American nominee, and he is less well known than McCain -- and therefore there's more to report on. But the disparity is so wide that it doesn't look good.
This is not just a Post phenomenon. The Project for Excellence in Journalism has been monitoring campaign coverage at an assortment of large and medium-circulation newspapers, broadcast evening and morning news shows, five news Web sites, three major cable news networks, and public radio and other radio outlets. Its latest report, for the week of Aug. 4-10, shows that for the eighth time in nine weeks, Obama received significantly more coverage than McCain.

Just food for thought about ads and coverage...

Could the Republican Party perceive a need to be very aggressive in their ads to counter press support of Obama?

Personally... I'd rather see ALL the candidates focus on the issues, and tell me why I should vote for them, instead of why I shouldn't vote for the other guy... But that's just my crazy way of thinking.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Could the Republican Party perceive a need to be very aggressive in their ads to counter press support of Obama?

Personally... I'd rather see ALL the candidates focus on the issues, and tell me why I should vote for them, instead of why I shouldn't vote for the other guy... But that's just my crazy way of thinking.

Just like they said....there's more to report on. It seems to me that the best course of action would be to win back the media through being a good candidate, not slinging mud...

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
From The Washington Post's Ombudsman on August 17, 2008:

If any candidate were to focus and really address an issue, then we might be able to make an educated decision. Let's not get into that...it might be dangerous.

I read, in scientific american, a short review of a book wherein the author decided that we americans have a inefficient method of choosing our pres, and that third party candidates draw votes away from someone who might otherwise win (e.g. gore and nadar/bush h and Perot (2nd term)--this was considered "bad" by the author. You know what? I really don't want a more efficient way to elect a pres; I want a better way to learn about the real candidate: motives, intention and so on.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe this is a little off topic, but I see it this way:

Experience is one thing, but more important, IMO, is your vision for America. A smart president will surround himself with qualified people who can get the job done, and execute his vision. That's what a cabinet is for, that's why you have experts and consultants. No single person can do it all by himself. But if the president's vision for America is unacceptable, you can't correct that--not with experience, and not with his cabinet.

I'm thinking about what kind of an America I want to live in, and what I'd like to leave for my children. So I'm looking for a smart candidate whose vision I respect who will surround himself with good people who will do their best to make it happen.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been reading all over the place, people blogging about Palin and screaming about her lack of Experience... but then you read their other posts and they are all about the God-Candiate Obama.

WTF?

I understand Brak has a SMIDGE more Political experience than Palin, but C'mon? Really?

What gives?

He does? Since when?

I couldn't care less for either the Dems or the GOP in this election, but as an unbiased observer it seems to me that she has a heck of a lot more experience governing than Obama.

She also has a track record of legislation that you can judge her on, where's Obama's? Even when he served in the IL state senate he voted "Present" most of the time instead of "yes" or "no".....so where does he stand?....on anything? I guess we'll just have to take him at his word since he doesn't have a track record to judge him by. ROFL

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score

What gives?

no, he really doesnt.

He has never been the "top guy" in ANYTHING

he has nothing, no ideas other than raise taxes and "change" but no details about HOW he is gonna change things other than admitt defeat in iraq and raise taxes

then he goes and gets one of the most senior senators, not exactly a recipe for change

Obama has gotten this far on reading good speeches, running against the she devil, and white people trying to prove how they are not racist.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Second, I know that there is mud being slung from both sides, but as a "third party observer" (i.e. someone who doesn't care too much nor place too much opinion in the election), the McCain side is being much more vocal about it.

you are completely wrong

there is 100 times as much dirt being flung by the democrats, btu they are being smart about it, the candidate isnt doing it, their lackeys in the MSM, and the blogosphere are doing it for them.

go read Daily POS or DemocraticUnderground sometime......much less moveon or huffington post

Latest Discussions