I'm on a roll. and it isn't a good one.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last week I nearly took the tip of my finger off restoring a car. I just got back in the dojang Thursday and last night I dropped my bike and took 14 stitches up my heel, just missing my achilles tendon (which granted would have been much worse). Superficial as they are (relatively speaking), I hate the down time. It takes forever to get back. I really need to stop these dangerous activities and just stay on the mat where it's safe. :soapbox:

On the humorous side, I've been driving my manager in because he strained his achilles tendon and is walking with a cast. His manager just tore his quad goofing around and is also in a cast. Our entire management is limping. We look pretty silly really. What a team.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yikes! I hope you heal up quickly! Kinda funny how you and your boss are a team in more ways than one...LOL

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good question. The pressing question is where is it going to end?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
While your wound may slow you down some, it doesn't necesarily mean you can't work out at all.

Last August I had 18" of gut removed (metastatic CA). 10 inch midline incision, from pubes to above my navel. I was released on Tuesday and 2 hours after I got home, said "Come on Sue, it's time to go to the dojang". I didn't do much. I sat in the back, mostly, and offered comments and suggestions to the people who were working out. By Thursday I was back in uniform, teaching more actively. No, I wasn't sparring. No, I couldn't kick high or put much power in any technique. By the time I took the stitches out, I was doing the full workout. 6 weeks after surgery, I tested for 1st geup.
I'm no superman, not am I a masochist. But by not stopping, by doing as much of the workout as I could, I minimized how much I lost during my recovery.
Protect your heel, yes, so you don't rip out the stitches, but don't let it keep you from training.

People are told things like "you can't lift more than 5lbs for 6 weeks." This is nonsense. The idea that you're a frail fragile flower for 6 weeks and then *boom* you're all better is patently ludicrous. Be sensible. Start out light and listen to your body. Do as much as you can, and you'll feel better, you'll lose less ground, and you'll heal faster.

Oh, and of vital importance.... what are you restoring, and is it a stock resto or a resto-mod?

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Loved the post, Dirty dog! Thanks for the encouragement! Right now my biggest concern is infection, given it's right on top of my achilles tendon. They loaded me with antibiotics and told me not to do anything that might open up the stitches. No riding no MA, not even walking if I can avoid it. As of last night, I found even minimal walking was straining the top stitch, so I'll heed their advise for now. To your point though, I'm not one to stay put just 'cause someone said so.

I'm restoring a '68 Mustang as a mild resto-mod. I let the car I'm working on dictate what type of restoration it's going to be. Resto-mods allow for some imagination, but if you have a pedigree vehicle like a true Camaro SS or Shelby GT500, true restoration is the only way to go. This car was bastardized for years and was plain jane to start, so it's a great candidate for a resto-mod. I'm doing a '68 Camaro next. :ultracool

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The first car I ever built was a '69 RS/SS Camaro. Bought it from the salvage yard on its way to the crusher. It was a shell. No driveline, no front clip, no interior.
No point in a resto... :(

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The first car I ever built was a '69 RS/SS Camaro. Bought it from the salvage yard on its way to the crusher. It was a shell. No driveline, no front clip, no interior.
No point in a resto... :(
The problem with the early Camaros is that neither the serial number or assorted tags provided support what trim level it was, nor is there any true source of verification like a Marti Report for Fords. However, '69 being the most popular of the 3 yeears, if that car had original supporting documentation, even in the condition you mentioned would be worth about 8K. More if it had an original 396.

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
While your wound may slow you down some, it doesn't necesarily mean you can't work out at all.

Last August I had 18" of gut removed (metastatic CA). 10 inch midline incision, from pubes to above my navel. I was released on Tuesday and 2 hours after I got home, said "Come on Sue, it's time to go to the dojang". I didn't do much. I sat in the back, mostly, and offered comments and suggestions to the people who were working out. By Thursday I was back in uniform, teaching more actively. No, I wasn't sparring. No, I couldn't kick high or put much power in any technique. By the time I took the stitches out, I was doing the full workout. 6 weeks after surgery, I tested for 1st geup.
I'm no superman, not am I a masochist. But by not stopping, by doing as much of the workout as I could, I minimized how much I lost during my recovery.
Protect your heel, yes, so you don't rip out the stitches, but don't let it keep you from training.

People are told things like "you can't lift more than 5lbs for 6 weeks." This is nonsense. The idea that you're a frail fragile flower for 6 weeks and then *boom* you're all better is patently ludicrous. Be sensible. Start out light and listen to your body. Do as much as you can, and you'll feel better, you'll lose less ground, and you'll heal faster.

Oh, and of vital importance.... what are you restoring, and is it a stock resto or a resto-mod?

I agree. You shoudl still head over to the dojang and observe classes.
It would not hurt to also to learn more about martial arts.

Bruce Lee wrote a ton on Jeet Kune Do after aggravating his sciatic nerve and taking an extended amount of bed rest.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe NOW it would, but when I bought it from the salvage yard in 1975, it was worth bumpkiss.
You can pick out the RS/SS by the options. Things like the hidden headlights.

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe NOW it would, but when I bought it from the salvage yard in 1975, it was worth bumpkiss.
You can pick out the RS/SS by the options. Things like the hidden headlights.

I know. In '79, I let me '68 go because there was a $200 storage fee attached to it when I had it towed which I refused to pay because it was more than the car was worth. Lol.
But, aftermarket is such a lucrative business, there's nothing that isn't reproduced. Knowing which options went with which car would make you hard to fool, but does not provide proof of pedigree.

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree. You shoudl still head over to the dojang and observe classes.
It would not hurt to also to learn more about martial arts.
My initial post was simply in reference to the physical down time. I haven't, and wouldn't, disassociate myself from the art; Especially since it's my school.

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hope you're bike is OK.
The bike is fine, but I'll pass along your sympathies. :)

I had a 69 Mustang. Sexy car that thing was..wish I still had it.
Was it a Sportroof or coupe? My all time favorite muscle car is a '69 Mustang Mach 1. Unfortunately, the only way I'm getting one is if I give up my beloved Nike. Ain't happening...
TT-09-12-08-0090-72.jpg

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
The bike is fine, but I'll pass along your sympathies. :)

Was it a Sportroof or coupe? My all time favorite muscle car is a '69 Mustang Mach 1. Unfortunately, the only way I'm getting one is if I give up my beloved Nike. Ain't happening...
TT-09-12-08-0090-72.jpg

You have good Taste in Cars, Good Sir :)
I just had to mention that.

*Ahem*

Hope your Bike gets well soon :D

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My initial post was simply in reference to the physical down time. I haven't, and wouldn't, disassociate myself from the art; Especially since it's my school.

Understood. I was never suggesting you should disassociate yourself from your art. Dan Inosanto has a JKD concepts school but he learns from other styles. In fact he started up as a white belt at the Machado Brothers. He has not disassociated from his art.
Just suggestions on what you should do with the down time time. As I mentioned before, when Bruce Lee hurt his back, he used the time to learn more by reading and research.

Latest Discussions