Sparring Footwork Online Resources?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I get a lot of advice on my terrible footwork when point-sparring. So I've been looking around online for resources to try to discover the meaning of some of the comments I get (not just here, but from my dojomates, etc). Comments like 'work the angles'. What does that mean, exactly? Circle more, be less linear. OK, I know what 'circular' means and what 'linear' means, but what does that mean in terms of what foot goes where? I guess I'm looking for something that looks like a dance chart, you know, put this foot here, that foot there, with arrows pointing the right direction, etc. I can move in a circular way, but is it a good way when sparring? I'm just making stuff up without any definite guidance. I do get help in my dojo, but we don't do a lot of point sparring, so I think some of the advice I'm getting has more to do with self-defense and/or continuous sparring. I'm also interested in matching my footwork to my body type; I get advice to jump in the air and change my lead, but frankly, I don't do much jumping; at my age and weight, it's more of a lurch if I try that. Probably better ways for a guy my size to do that without getting nailed with a kick in mid-lurch. I'm just looking for links to any simple descriptions with diagrams or photos. I'm afraid reading "Try working in a circular pattern" or "Work the angles" doesn't really tell me anything. Probably good advice if I knew how to do those things, you know? Just some basic instructions; put this foot here, shift that way, put that foot there. Stuff I can practice shadow boxing at home.

Thanks!

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ooook, youve touched on a huge topic.
For example, Circular and Linear are two different Tactics - It isnt one being right and the other wrong.
And you could pretty much study Angles as an Art unto itself.

I could recommend ways of practicing it, but A: If there are any Online Resources, that would be much better.
B: Itd take bloody forever to type.

Just above all else, make your Sparring work for you. If your like me, and can simply generate forwards momentum, use that. If you like fighting at long range, fight at long range. Short range, short range it is.

Like i say, a big topic.

But simply, Circular Movement generally means attempting to perform kicks like Roundhouses in a full stationary Circle. In defense, it means interpriting everything like a sword swinging through the air.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I get a lot of advice on my terrible footwork when point-sparring. So I've been looking around online for resources to try to discover the meaning of some of the comments I get (not just here, but from my dojomates, etc). Comments like 'work the angles'. What does that mean, exactly? Circle more, be less linear. OK, I know what 'circular' means and what 'linear' means, but what does that mean in terms of what foot goes where? I guess I'm looking for something that looks like a dance chart, you know, put this foot here, that foot there, with arrows pointing the right direction, etc. I can move in a circular way, but is it a good way when sparring? I'm just making stuff up without any definite guidance. I do get help in my dojo, but we don't do a lot of point sparring, so I think some of the advice I'm getting has more to do with self-defense and/or continuous sparring. I'm also interested in matching my footwork to my body type; I get advice to jump in the air and change my lead, but frankly, I don't do much jumping; at my age and weight, it's more of a lurch if I try that. Probably better ways for a guy my size to do that without getting nailed with a kick in mid-lurch. I'm just looking for links to any simple descriptions with diagrams or photos. I'm afraid reading "Try working in a circular pattern" or "Work the angles" doesn't really tell me anything. Probably good advice if I knew how to do those things, you know? Just some basic instructions; put this foot here, shift that way, put that foot there. Stuff I can practice shadow boxing at home.

Thanks!

Too much circling is just as bad as too much linear action. Work your angles, literally. 45 degrees forward & backwards, left & right. Work steping on 45 angles. For example, if you're Right Foot Forward, rather than stepping directly in, step out right foot 45 degrees & bring your back foot with you. That will put you beside them at their shoulder-ish area, ideally. Either strike or then step into them with your Left Foot on a flat to slight angle, which should have you attacking their flank or slightly to their rear. This is in drill work obviously since the target has moved. Or it could be real time sparring if you're quick with it or catch them off guard. Reverse that to a rear angle if they rush an attack in. You'd be amazed at the space you create without actually doing much & the openings created on them might be suprising.

All of this is just my $.02 & an idea. But it works for me.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I appreciate it and I'm sure the advice is excellent, but that's exactly my problem. People keep telling me to do it and even how, but I need like a diagram. I just don't get it when I read the instructions. I need some pictures, like a dance chart.

$mens-footwork-copy.jpg

Stealthy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was looking for a really good clip earlier today for you but I couldn't find it.

Having seen all of your video's and read all of the comments about your footwork I think it is safe to say that all told your issues are really quite trivial.

A common suggestion you get is to turn your rear foot around so it is not completely splade off at 90 degrees. I must admit I personally like to keep my rear foot turned 45 degrees out at the most.

Where you might like to improve your normal fighting stance is the (sideways)distance between your feet. An average fighting stance is feet shoulder width apart(sideways) and one or two shoulder widths apart(on the primal line). Now what you(and everybody else I have met including myself until the tendency is overcome) do is close up the sideways gap between your feet so they are basically in a straight line one behind the other relative to your opponent. This is the main reason you get knocked over sometimes, unless your feet are shoulder width apart(sideways) you have poor balance if you get shoved sideways.

What I used to do is "imagine" there were two lines shoulder width apart in front of me everywhere I walked and then kept each foot on it's own line. I don't see wooden floor boards in dojo's so often these days but if you have them that is great, you just pick two boards shoulder width apart and keep your feet on them while you move around trying to maintain the distance between them. Some people actually put tape all over the floors of their homes so wherever they walk they have shoulder width apart lines to walk on.

As far as your footwork goes you don't have to be very fancy with it just vary it up a bit. Sometimes step in and attack other times hang back and as soon as they start to step in shoot off to one side or the other and attack.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you don't find something today, let me know. My artistic skills stop at signing my name the same way more than 2 times consecutively.

I'll shoot a quick video on my phone tomorrow night at the class I teach & will get it to you.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good footwork will put you at proper distance for attacking or countering at all times. Without the footwork you will be either to close or to far most of the time for optimum striking. Good footwork will also keep you at a distance that is best for reading and reacting. Good footwork will allow you to stay balanced. Moving on angle is needed to keep your opponent from hitting solid or with full power. It keeps them off balance. See vid below for some samples of movement with footwork and angles.
[yt]N5ttYuRv8w0[/yt]

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't like all the bouncy bouncy in the vid, but the concepts were solid mostly. Some things I disagree with, others I'm right there with it. That's to be expected though.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Thanks!
Screw jumping in place!:) Just get into a stance, and while leaving your body weight where it is, bring one foot to the other, and switch feet positions. Jumping is fine for the acrobats, but not safe for a begginer at sparring.
Sean

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't like all the bouncy bouncy in the vid, but the concepts were solid mostly. Some things I disagree with, others I'm right there with it. That's to be expected though.
Well, bouncing is fickle. Ive never done it, and never will. But i understand why people do it. I think it displaces your balance too much - But it makes it easier to suddenly attack unpredictably. Its worth knowing why its done, ever if you disapprove :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good footwork will put you at proper distance for attacking or countering at all times. Without the footwork you will be either to close or to far most of the time for optimum striking. Good footwork will also keep you at a distance that is best for reading and reacting. Good footwork will allow you to stay balanced. Moving on angle is needed to keep your opponent from hitting solid or with full power. It keeps them off balance. See vid below for some samples of movement with footwork and angles.
[yt]N5ttYuRv8w0[/yt]
Notice that 95% of the time, the back foot is around 45 degrees.
Sean

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, bouncing is fickle. Ive never done it, and never will. But i understand why people do it. I think it displaces your balance too much - But it makes it easier to suddenly attack unpredictably. Its worth knowing why its done, ever if you disapprove :)

I used to practice TKD years ago. Bouncing while adding a degree of unpredictability to attacks like you said, it's not really useful except in having your balance constantly off as you mentioned as well, not to mention you are burning energy. Your root is missing & I'm pretty dadgummed certain TKD doesn't practice floating rooting. But considering how TKD is played, it works for them. I personally think bouncing anywhere outside of a competition event is chancey at best. You can stay light on your feet without bouncy bouncy.

Again, just my $.02

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on the type of sparring and what will be most useful in my humble opinion.

If you are going to do point type sparring it is very important to understand your set point (where you can hit him) and your opponents set point. Now, you need to train and drill so you can be outside of someone's set point, but be able to explode into range and hit him first and then explode back out of range. If you are doing contact sparring, you need the same skills but also need to know how to work and stay inside to finish him.

Bridging that initial gap is the most critical skill to hitting your opponent when sparring. It is what allows you to tie up his mind/weapons to employ yours successfully. Here is a clip that goes over basic footwork drills to get started.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends on the type of sparring and what will be most useful in my humble opinion.

If you are going to do point type sparring it is very important to understand your set point (where you can hit him) and your opponents set point. Now, you need to train and drill so you can be outside of someone's set point, but be able to explode into range and hit him first and then explode back out of range. If you are doing contact sparring, you need the same skills but also need to know how to work and stay inside to finish him.

Bridging that initial gap is the most critical skill to hitting your opponent when sparring. It is what allows you to tie up his mind/weapons to employ yours successfully. Here is a clip that goes over basic footwork drills to get started.

That video is extremely useful to me, thank you! I think I have some sort of problem understanding what people are 'telling' me. I need to be shown. Telling me to 'bridge the gap' means nothing to me. I know I have to do it, but how? And saying 'step in' or 'step to the side' or 'work the angles' is just a mystery to me. How? How do I do those things? Show me where to put my feet or I am NOT going to get it. I hate to say it, but when I ask for demonstration, I get more words, and I can't use them; my brain doesn't process written instructions into action that way. I need to be shown. This video does that very well. THANKYOU!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bouncing should be done while practicing as it will help you develop that lightness on your feet. It will make staying on your toes easier. I agree you don't have to bounce when in combat but during practice it builds the calf and leg muscles, as well as builds cardio. You should always be on your toes. Anyone caught flat footed will have terrible footwork. Not to mention their reaction time being slow. Bouncing during practice will also increase your ability to stay balanced as well.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of this is easier to explain if I can also demonstrate...

Footwork is how you move your feet for combat. Three basic steps common to most martial arts are full step, a side step, and an extended step. A full step is just that, one foot moves from behind to in front, or in front to behind, essentially like a normal walking step. A side step (for this purpose; there are lots of ways to achieve it in practice) covers half the distance of a full step, and then moves out. So your back foot may move about halfway forward, and out to the side, for example. An extended step moves the foot several inches, maybe a foot, in some direction, "extending" your stance in the direction of the movement. If you're in a forward stance with the left foot leading, you'd simply push the left foot forward a bit more, like part of a boxer's shuffle step forward. There are intricacies and other pieces to this, but that at least gives us a basis for discussion.

There are essentially 9 directions you can move in. Picture a 8 point star. I'm going to use a clock face for convenience as I discuss this. 12 o'clock is dead forward, 1:30 is about 45 off to the right, 3 is straight to the right, and so on as we go around the clock. You can also move up or down in the center, for example ducking or jumping.

Generally, when people talk about using angles, they're referring to moving diagonally in response to your opponent's actions. So, let's say we're fighting. You 're at my 12, right, and you use a reverse punch (a full step!) to attack me, coming right down that 12 o'clock line. I have several choices... I can stay and place and hope my block is fast and hard enough to stop your punch. Moving straight forward with a full step is not generally particularly wise; it begs for a head on collision. I can move straight back, on 6 o'clock line, but that leaves me vulnerable to successive attacks. I can move to the sides, using that half step I mentioned. This often works, but also can leave you out of range to counter-strike. Moving rearward and to the sides, like on a 4:30 or 7:30 line has the same problem. But... moving forward to either 1:30 or 11:30... that's a magical place. I've greatly reduced their ability to strike, and put myself in a strong position to counterstrike.

When you attack, you can use similar principles. You can come straight down that 12 o'clock line. But a confident, skilled defender can often deal with that one easily. I've literally just put a hand out and let someone run into it! It also leaves your opponent knowing exactly where you are. But... if you come in from 1:00 or 11:00, say... now things are different. You're not right in front of me, I have to find you.

I hope this makes some sense.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You would be better served going on youtube and looking at sparring matches, many sparring matches. See what works. A big guy has to move like a small guy. Before you get to far into foot patterns you need to get light on your feet.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bouncing should be done while practicing as it will help you develop that lightness on your feet. It will make staying on your toes easier. I agree you don't have to bounce when in combat but during practice it builds the calf and leg muscles, as well as builds cardio. You should always be on your toes. Anyone caught flat footed will have terrible footwork. Not to mention their reaction time being slow. Bouncing during practice will also increase your ability to stay balanced as well.
Never really looked at it that way - Interesting

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Another way to look at it (which may or may not help).
In point sparring, when YOU attack, your opponent is usually one of three categories of fighter. A Runner, A Blocker, or a Jammer.
If he's a runner, and he's faster than you, footwork isn't an answer. While you can move forward faster than backwards, a runner will veer off course against a slower fighter. This messes you up. You have to slowly cut down the ring (same as in boxing except using the taped boundaries) and take him out of his game (running)
If he's a runner and he isn't faster than you - advance, advance, advance, slow and small - then blitz.
If your speed is equal - pretend to back off - waiting for him to slow his movement - then blitz. He's now reacting to you at a speed he didn't plan on.

If he's a Blocker - he's a counter fighter. He'll try to take advantage of your attack (kick or punch) or of your step. Good feints help against the kick or punch. The step - you have to maintain your stance when you advance. If you are out of your stance the Blocker will counter the heck out of you. If you are "in stance" you can fire a reverse punch so as to at least get a good ref to call a clash. The more you can do this the more you can get used to his timing.

A Jammer will constantly come in at you while you are moving. He's trying to score right then, or to get you out of stance to score. A good counter strike can beat a Jammer, (as long as your timing is on) They are also fairly easy to feint and intercept with whatever straight strike you throw best.

When HE attacks - you (I don't mean you in particular, I mean anyone) you become a Runner, a Blocker or a Jammer. Same kind of thinking applies, only in reverse.

By categorizing in this way your point sparring can improve some WHILE you are learning new types of footwork to add to your game.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I disagree with the bouncing in practice, except as part of a dedicated drill like jump rope. Practice as you intend to fight. I do agree with staying on your toes, and avoiding being flat-footed. I'm just not a fan of bouncing in a fighting stance; there are other ways to stay mobile and be light on your feet.

You would be better served going on youtube and looking at sparring matches, many sparring matches. See what works. A big guy has to move like a small guy. Before you get to far into foot patterns you need to get light on your feet.

I disagree with this. There are just too, too many bad examples and it's hard to cull them, especially if you're already having trouble understanding footwork. Watch fighters known for good footwork. For Bill, especially, I can't encourage him to watch Muhammad Ali strongly enough. Especially in his prime, he was a big man who moved like a very small man.

I mentioned the star pattern earlier, and I meant to mention an exercise. Practice stepping to each point of the star, with both feet, from your fighting stance and from other stances, figure out how you can move to the points of the pattern. Footwork is an art and it takes lots of work -- but the return on investment for that work is priceless.

Latest Discussions