Im in Phoenix, any MA school recommendations?

Marshallbd

White Belt
Reaction score
I am currently living in phoenix AZ and was wondering if anyone could recommend a could traditional school for me to check out. Just trying to weigh all the options. Not interested at all in Tae Kwon do. Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

SuitableScroll

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Eric Kruk, he teaches Baringin Sakti Harimau Minangkabau Pencak Silat and Southwest Tactical Knife Systems either in or near Phoenix... Last time I checked he was still in Phoenix. He is a good instructor from what I have seen of him.

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I hope you are enjoying our wonderful heat!

As noted above you do not specify what exactly you are looking for. You did however post this in the japanese karate section. There is one legendary traditional japanese karate name in Phoenix since '64 and that is Koyama:

http://www.arizonakarate.com/

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Eric Kruk, he teaches Baringin Sakti Harimau Minangkabau Pencak Silat and Southwest Tactical Knife Systems either in or near Phoenix... Last time I checked he was still in Phoenix. He is a good instructor from what I have seen of him.

I believe Eric is in Tucson. Still that would be a drive well worth it! ;)

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not sure the OP is still looking two years later… but… also not sure I'd recommend that school, based on the website… too many red flags…

The OP also asked specifically about traditional schools, and I see nothing traditional about that one.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah… I mean, the linked school claims to include Ninjutsu (Bujinkan from the looks of things), Iaido (no mention of which form, so I'd assume Seitei, but who knows?) which could be kinda considered "traditional" (well, the Iai… unless it's more a made up thing, which I also wouldn't rule out)… but has almost no mention of any actual training in such things, rank achieved, experience, or anything else… which is but one of the red flags mentioned.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Again, I am late to the party. I am putting this here for anyone in the Phoenix area who might find this thread in the future and be interested in a legitimate place to train:

Arizona Isshinryu Karate Academy - Kids Martial Arts Classes - Chandler, Arizona

"Sensei Shannon Wells is Arizona Isshinryu Karate Academy's lead instructor. Sensei Shannon began studying Isshinryu in 1983 under Senseis John and Cindy Ingram in New Port Richey, Florida. She has over 25 years of experience in Isshinryu Karate, and has been teaching for more than 16 years. She currently holds a 5th Degree Black Belt and is promoted and trained by Master Harold Mitchum."

In addition to her own bio on her dojo webpage, I am familiar with several very high-ranking and legitimate Isshin-Ryu instructors who know her and say she is the real deal. Although I do not know her, I can recommend this dojo based on my respect for those who do know her and have directly told me that her dojo is the genuine article.

In my own opinion, it is hard to get better Isshin-Ryu instruction than from a student who trains in the Master Mitchum lineage. Full disclosure, this is my own lineage as well. I mean no disrespect to anyone who trains in other lineages.