pictures/photos of japanese dojos?

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone here knew of any references (online preferably but i'd be fine picking up a good book you could recommend) of traditional japanese karate dojos, most likely found only in japan or okinawa.

i ask just out of personal interest. i'm fascinated with the architecture and design of them.

thanks!

M

Mike Clarke

No worries!

If you're ever down this way the door is always open with a friendly welcome.

Mike.

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by tarabos
just wondering if anyone here knew of any references (online preferably but i'd be fine picking up a good book you could recommend) of traditional japanese karate dojos, most likely found only in japan or okinawa.

i ask just out of personal interest. i'm fascinated with the architecture and design of them.

thanks!

Up until about 5 years ago the JKA (Japan Karate Assoc.) honbu dojo was located in a converted bowling alley.

Most Japanese dojo don’t look like much; sorry to say they don’t look very Asian in many cases. Some of them are pretty crowded with wall-to-wall equipment, with either wood floor or rubber moveable mats and are not much to look at.
I teach at the Kamakura Budokan which is VERY Asian looking......this is the exception and not the rule

R

RyuShiKan

This is one place I teach.......Camp Zama.

Attachments

• $newdojo.jpg
    $newdojo.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 369
R

RyuShiKan

This is where I teach on the weekends.

Attachments

• $kamadojosmall.gif
    $kamadojosmall.gif
    44.3 KB · Views: 355
R

RyuShiKan

Outside of same place.

Attachments

• $kamagif.gif
    $kamagif.gif
    40 KB · Views: 373
K

Kirk

Are these the places that "don't look like much" to you? Cause
I'm in awe! The floor looks like a fricken mirror!

Pretty amazing, thanks for sharing.

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Kirk
Are these the places that "don't look like much" to you? Cause
I'm in awe! The floor looks like a fricken mirror!

Pretty amazing, thanks for sharing.

That is the new US $14,000,000 Budokan in Kamakura.
The Budokan photos are the exception.......most places in Japan are not that nice.

OP
tarabos

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
thanks for the input RSK...

and exception or not, i agree with Kirk...that's one nice establishment you teach in there. put up some more pics if you have them!:D

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A new training hall may open in London:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?nn20030531b8.htm

According to Phillida Purvis, leader of the Japan center project team, the focal point would be a martial arts hall where members of the public would learn not only popular martial arts such as judo, karate and aikido, but also kendo, "naginata" (which uses swordlike weapons) and "kyudo" (archery). There is no place in Britain where all of these programs are offered under one roof.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Uh, Oh, sounds like Wal-mart is getting into the martial arts world!;) But really, that would be a good place to have around if you were interested in diversifying your skills without having to drive all over the country looking for different instructors.