Im in a conundrum

OldManJim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Okay so heres what I got going on. Im 47, have a stressful job and decided i was going to start MA again after a long lay off. I have diabetes as well. So back in 2013 I received my last martial arts belt, an intermediate upper level belt in Chun Kuk Do now Chuck Norris System. Flash forward 8 years and I decided for my sanity and health to start anew. There are plenty of options around me and alot to choose from in my area. I had dabbled in bjj for a few months in 2014 but then moved away to a different state for work. So I have been for quite some time following the different dojos on social media. I had always wanted to try Aikido so for the past year I watched this instructor who has studied for 14 years from a different country bounce from place to place because he couldnt afford his own dojo. Finally he opened up and for the past month I was pretty much his only student besides 2 children he taught before the adult class. I was learning Kendo and Aikido 3 times a week for 120. I bought a bokken and a Hakama. Now he is closing because he can no longer pay the rent because he said he thought the location would be better but it just didnt work out for him. He was not a member of the Aikikai and he said they really did not like his style of aikido because he didnt believe in the "dancing" styles as he called it. His style was kind of hard but it was aikido best i could tell. this guy used to train in the park by himself in the winter and rain so he was really stron and technical. Anyways he said he doesnt know when I can continue, he doesnt know what will happen, he is moving to a home as well instead of the apartment he and his wife live in. At this point I really cant count on anytime soon. So here are my choices...ITF American TKD $100 month no contracts, quit when you want for 3 days a week. A place thats around 145 mth that teaches hapkido and pasaryu whatever that is, tons of bjj places and a traditional American karate school. The 2 bjj places im looking at charge different prcies. One is a direct black belt under Pedro Sauer and he charges the same as the aikido guy for 4 days a week. The other is Machado/Erik Paulsen school and hes $127 if you take bjj, 140 if you take bjj with Muay Thai. The money is really not what im looking at, its just the face I want to do something worthwhile. I thought about the TKD but Im not too keen on basically starting over with the kata and all that like i did in Chun Kuk Do. Im also wondering if its great for self defense. I guess it really comes down to what I want but its hard to make up my mind. What would you guys suggest for someone who got out of the game, came back and is now out again?

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As you said. It's about what you want, and only you can answer that. I'd definitely suggest taking each school up on any free trial classes they offer.
Some things to consider:

- Did you like the culture/atmosphere in the school?
- Is your goal fitness? (then maybe the striking schools... though depending on the instruction, these can be hard on a post 40 body).
- Self-defense? (Then the grappling schools would likely round out skills for self defense that may not have been focused on in your previous stand up focused training).
- If it's for general stress relief; then maybe sticking closer to skills you're already more familiar with (traditional striking like TKD or Karate...I find Forms/Kata practice to be a great tool in dealing with stress).

As I tell any student who's moving away to a new town... don't worry about the name on the door. Find a good instructor and school that you like.

OP
O

OldManJim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As you said. It's about what you want, and only you can answer that. I'd definitely suggest taking each school up on any free trial classes they offer.
Some things to consider:

- Did you like the culture/atmosphere in the school?
- Is your goal fitness? (then maybe the striking schools... though depending on the instruction, these can be hard on a post 40 body).
- Self-defense? (Then the grappling schools would likely round out skills for self defense that may not have been focused on in your previous stand up focused training).
- If it's for general stress relief; then maybe sticking closer to skills you're already more familiar with (traditional striking like TKD or Karate...I find Forms/Kata practice to be a great tool in dealing with stress).

As I tell any student who's moving away to a new town... don't worry about the name on the door. Find a good instructor and school that you like.
Thanks for your reply. I’m very skeptical of the striking schools like TKD. When I was in CKD it seemed like I was 4 belts away from a black belt and we did lots of 1 steps and sparring. We had a new student come in and was pretty good at boxing and he pretty much destroyed me during sparring. On the other hand we had a lady and her young son join who were both TKD black belts and I could hold my own with her during sparring. The last time I checked that particular instructor was still teaching CKD but mostly had moved on to Gracie JJ as he obtained his brown belt. I guess I just felt like the striking arts like CKD which is basically tang soo do 2.0 never gave me a solid base in striking. Now I’m not saying its like that everywhere but it left me with this feeling that all the time could possibly be wasted in a stand up style. Yes I know aikido is a joke in some circles but I liked the trad aspect and the kendo part as well. I’m not puthing any style or school or instructor down, please don’t think that. I’m just expressing my own thoughts and feelings on it. Where I came from your choices were limited, now there’s so many it’s hard to figure out what’s worth putting the time in, especially with having dabbled in several arts already.

OP
O

OldManJim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What's the traditional karate school you spoke of?
It’s just listed under American Open Style Karate. The instructor originally started studying TKD and got his BB in 1974. Then he studied under a guy named Jerry Piddington. His style is his last name plus American Karate. So for example John Doe American Karate. He is part of the US Karate Association whatever that is. That’s from something I found on website

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If money is not a big issue, I don't understand your emphasis on it in your post. I charge very little to train a small group that meets in a garage, a warehouse and a park. I have been criticized by colleagues for not charging a lot saying that I cheapen my art.

The guy who says that charges a hefty fee. But he is a full time instructor and school owner with a lot of expenses. He charges what he has to. I live in a different state and charge what my students can afford. Moreover, we have different philosophies. He feels that if you are at the upper end of the price range, people of a higher caliber will choose your school over others that charge less. His philosophy is that "Nobody worth a damn will pick the cheapest option for anything they buy".

I don't think like that. And yeah, I've taught people who struggle financially and made arrangements so they can continue even when they are between jobs or whatever. Call it a weakness on my part.

So, Looking for a new school, I'd say forget about the money aspect and go for what you want. If you really like the independent Aikido guy, ask if he will train you on a private or semi-private basis. Maybe from his home ...or yours. IMO semi-private is preferable since you will have a training partner to practice with. If he will go for it ...contact your old classmates or any friends who might go in with you.

If that doesn't work, pick a solid school with a teacher you like who teaches what you are interested in ...and ideally someplace not too far away, so you can commit to attending regularly.

And post again and let us know how things turn out! :)

OP
O

OldManJim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If money is not a big issue, I don't understand your emphasis on it in your post. I charge very little to train a small group that meets in a garage, a warehouse and a park. I have been criticized by colleagues for not charging a lot saying that I cheapen my art.

The guy who says that charges a hefty fee. But he is a full time instructor and school owner with a lot of expenses. He charges what he has to. I live in a different state and charge what my students can afford. Moreover, we have different philosophies. He feels that if you are at the upper end of the price range, people of a higher caliber will choose your school over others that charge less. His philosophy is that "Nobody worth a damn will pick the cheapest option for anything they buy".

I don't think like that. And yeah, I've taught people who struggle financially and made arrangements so they can continue even when they are between jobs or whatever. Call it a weakness on my part.

So, Looking for a new school, I'd say forget about the money aspect and go for what you want. If you really like the independent Aikido guy, ask if he will train you on a private or semi-private basis. Maybe from his home ...or yours. IMO semi-private is preferable since you will have a training partner to practice with. If he will go for it ...contact your old classmates or any friends who might go in with you.

If that doesn't work, pick a solid school with a teacher you like who teaches what you are interested in ...and ideally someplace not too far away, so you can commit to attending regularly.

And post again and let us know how things turn out! :)
I actually did send him a message asking if he would do private lessons. I sent in Spanish so it wouldn’t get mistranslated. He said of course he would continue to teach me, he just needs to find a spot, consider it like a small vacation and to keep practicing the fundamentals he showed me in the last class as they are the basis of Aikido and Kendo and he would see me soon. Now I feel kind of guilty like I gave up on him because I might miss training for a bit. He told me in the last class that I was as dedicated as the students he taught in Cuba. Maybe you’re right maybe I just need to practice at home what he taught me 3x a week and give the guy a chance. I mean he used to goto the park summer fall and winter and practice by himself rain or snow. He’s definitely no McDojo Sensei. He told me he does 600 Subarito (huge wooden sword) every morning before work. His Sensei in Cuba made them do 1000 before they even trained. So maybe I am cutting him short. I’m going to wait a bit and see what happens

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I actually did send him a message asking if he would do private lessons. I sent in Spanish so it wouldn’t get mistranslated....
Debe continuar entrenando con el sensei ese, y así se puede dominar Aikido y español a la misma vez. ¡Qué padre! ;)

OP
O

OldManJim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Debe continuar entrenando con el sensei ese, y así se puede dominar Aikido y español a la misma vez. ¡Qué padre! ;)
Lol I have to use google translator but yes I agree!

OP
O

OldManJim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There are other aikido schools around me but the drive is about 30 mins away on the Interstate. By the time I got home from work and tried to get there during rush hour traffic it’d be hard pressed. Once before I asked about their school and they told me in order to join I had to come in for an “interview“ wth that meant I have no ideal.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Any reason why?

Chuck does the bjj. Technically it should round off the Chun Kuk Do.

And you get the Thai in the same building.

And you don't have to learn new katas. Because there shouldn't be any.

And if your striking is good. Then your thai is good. You don't have to be strictly Thai to do Thai. So you won't be starting from scratch. It is more of a progression of ability than form. Sort of.

And with the BJJ. A BJJ belt is a BJJ belt everywhere. So if you move again then you don't really have this issue again.

You can then just train at a place that suits you rather than having to match systems.

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
And you don't have to learn new katas. Because there shouldn't be any.
🤣 knew you couldn't resist.
And with the BJJ. A BJJ belt is a BJJ belt everywhere. So if you move again then you don't really have this issue again.

You can then just train at a place that suits you rather than having to match systems.
Everything else you said I completely agree with. If the goal is to round out skills, the bjj/mt school makes the most sense.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
🤣 knew you couldn't resist.

Everything else you said I completely agree with. If the goal is to round out skills, the bjj/mt school makes the most sense.

Well you might need to know the little dance they do before the fight. But that honestly shouldn't take that long.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Then he studied under a guy named Jerry Piddington
I remember him! Even though I was a West Coast guy, Jerry made the rounds all over in the late 1960's, early 70's. He was the real deal and a personality. I don't remember what traditional style he was back then, but was well respected for his fighting ability.
we have different philosophies. He feels that if you are at the upper end of the price range, people of a higher caliber will choose your school over others that charge less.
Grifters have a term for this - "marks." ;) I would however, put out that "higher caliber" here should refer to income, not personal quality. The other guy's philosophy is generally true, though. Sales/marketing people know that a buyer's perception of value is often based on price, but does not necessarily apply to certain TMA sensei that teach for reasons other than income.

Last edited:

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay so heres what I got going on. Im 47, have a stressful job and decided i was going to start MA again after a long lay off. I have diabetes as well. So back in 2013 I received my last martial arts belt, an intermediate upper level belt in Chun Kuk Do now Chuck Norris System. Flash forward 8 years and I decided for my sanity and health to start anew. There are plenty of options around me and alot to choose from in my area. I had dabbled in bjj for a few months in 2014 but then moved away to a different state for work. So I have been for quite some time following the different dojos on social media. I had always wanted to try Aikido so for the past year I watched this instructor who has studied for 14 years from a different country bounce from place to place because he couldnt afford his own dojo. Finally he opened up and for the past month I was pretty much his only student besides 2 children he taught before the adult class. I was learning Kendo and Aikido 3 times a week for 120. I bought a bokken and a Hakama. Now he is closing because he can no longer pay the rent because he said he thought the location would be better but it just didnt work out for him. He was not a member of the Aikikai and he said they really did not like his style of aikido because he didnt believe in the "dancing" styles as he called it. His style was kind of hard but it was aikido best i could tell. this guy used to train in the park by himself in the winter and rain so he was really stron and technical. Anyways he said he doesnt know when I can continue, he doesnt know what will happen, he is moving to a home as well instead of the apartment he and his wife live in. At this point I really cant count on anytime soon. So here are my choices...ITF American TKD $100 month no contracts, quit when you want for 3 days a week. A place thats around 145 mth that teaches hapkido and pasaryu whatever that is, tons of bjj places and a traditional American karate school. The 2 bjj places im looking at charge different prcies. One is a direct black belt under Pedro Sauer and he charges the same as the aikido guy for 4 days a week. The other is Machado/Erik Paulsen school and hes $127 if you take bjj, 140 if you take bjj with Muay Thai. The money is really not what im looking at, its just the face I want to do something worthwhile. I thought about the TKD but Im not too keen on basically starting over with the kata and all that like i did in Chun Kuk Do. Im also wondering if its great for self defense. I guess it really comes down to what I want but its hard to make up my mind. What would you guys suggest for someone who got out of the game, came back and is now out again
Okay so heres what I got going on. Im 47, have a stressful job and decided i was going to start MA again after a long lay off. I have diabetes as well. So back in 2013 I received my last martial arts belt, an intermediate upper level belt in Chun Kuk Do now Chuck Norris System. Flash forward 8 years and I decided for my sanity and health to start anew. There are plenty of options around me and alot to choose from in my area. I had dabbled in bjj for a few months in 2014 but then moved away to a different state for work. So I have been for quite some time following the different dojos on social media. I had always wanted to try Aikido so for the past year I watched this instructor who has studied for 14 years from a different country bounce from place to place because he couldnt afford his own dojo. Finally he opened up and for the past month I was pretty much his only student besides 2 children he taught before the adult class. I was learning Kendo and Aikido 3 times a week for 120. I bought a bokken and a Hakama. Now he is closing because he can no longer pay the rent because he said he thought the location would be better but it just didnt work out for him. He was not a member of the Aikikai and he said they really did not like his style of aikido because he didnt believe in the "dancing" styles as he called it. His style was kind of hard but it was aikido best i could tell. this guy used to train in the park by himself in the winter and rain so he was really stron and technical. Anyways he said he doesnt know when I can continue, he doesnt know what will happen, he is moving to a home as well instead of the apartment he and his wife live in. At this point I really cant count on anytime soon. So here are my choices...ITF American TKD $100 month no contracts, quit when you want for 3 days a week. A place thats around 145 mth that teaches hapkido and pasaryu whatever that is, tons of bjj places and a traditional American karate school. The 2 bjj places im looking at charge different prcies. One is a direct black belt under Pedro Sauer and he charges the same as the aikido guy for 4 days a week. The other is Machado/Erik Paulsen school and hes $127 if you take bjj, 140 if you take bjj with Muay Thai. The money is really not what im looking at, its just the face I want to do something worthwhile. I thought about the TKD but Im not too keen on basically starting over with the kata and all that like i did in Chun Kuk Do. Im also wondering if its great for self defense. I guess it really comes down to what I want but its hard to make up my mind. What would you guys suggest for someone who got out of the game, came back and is now out again?
Are you into it for the self defense or the conditioning? Is this Machado/Erik Pauline’s school in Fullerton?
Okay so heres what I got going on. Im 47, have a stressful job and decided i was going to start MA again after a long lay off. I have diabetes as well. So back in 2013 I received my last martial arts belt, an intermediate upper level belt in Chun Kuk Do now Chuck Norris System. Flash forward 8 years and I decided for my sanity and health to start anew. There are plenty of options around me and alot to choose from in my area. I had dabbled in bjj for a few months in 2014 but then moved away to a different state for work. So I have been for quite some time following the different dojos on social media. I had always wanted to try Aikido so for the past year I watched this instructor who has studied for 14 years from a different country bounce from place to place because he couldnt afford his own dojo. Finally he opened up and for the past month I was pretty much his only student besides 2 children he taught before the adult class. I was learning Kendo and Aikido 3 times a week for 120. I bought a bokken and a Hakama. Now he is closing because he can no longer pay the rent because he said he thought the location would be better but it just didnt work out for him. He was not a member of the Aikikai and he said they really did not like his style of aikido because he didnt believe in the "dancing" styles as he called it. His style was kind of hard but it was aikido best i could tell. this guy used to train in the park by himself in the winter and rain so he was really stron and technical. Anyways he said he doesnt know when I can continue, he doesnt know what will happen, he is moving to a home as well instead of the apartment he and his wife live in. At this point I really cant count on anytime soon. So here are my choices...ITF American TKD $100 month no contracts, quit when you want for 3 days a week. A place thats around 145 mth that teaches hapkido and pasaryu whatever that is, tons of bjj places and a traditional American karate school. The 2 bjj places im looking at charge different prcies. One is a direct black belt under Pedro Sauer and he charges the same as the aikido guy for 4 days a week. The other is Machado/Erik Paulsen school and hes $127 if you take bjj, 140 if you take bjj with Muay Thai. The money is really not what im looking at, its just the face I want to do something worthwhile. I thought about the TKD but Im not too keen on basically starting over with the kata and all that like i did in Chun Kuk Do. Im also wondering if its great for self defense. I guess it really comes down to what I want but its hard to make up my mind. What would you guys suggest for someone who got out of the game, came back and is now out again

OP
O

OldManJim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Are you into it for the self defense or the conditioning? Is this Machado/Erik Pauline’s school in Fullerton?
Kinda both. More for self defense. No it’s not in Fullerton

Latest Discussions