I'm home from hospital

Olde Phart

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Tonight's a dojo night. Another night of standing around and feeling basically useless.
You're absolutely right. And I have to take 2-3 breaks in an hour class. Triple bypass surgery about a year and a half ago. So? I'm there because my dojang is a family. I care about them and they care about me. I'm also the oldest student they have (at 67). My instructor tells me I am missed when I am not there. I'm not the best, can't kick as high as the youngsters. But . . . I AM THERE where I am supposed to be. I've been told by others that many of them look up to me. One of these days I'm sure I'll have to set this all aside. But, that day ain't here yet! You're not useless . . . you're a valuable asset.

Olde Phart

Orange Belt
Reaction score
To add a bit more . . . all you have to do to prove your worth and ability is to step up to a newbie and adjust their hand a bit or remind them to square their shoulders . . . hints that will aid them for many years to come. What worth does your ability and knowledge matter if you won't share it with others?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's been 20 days since the cardiac ablation. I was in normal sinus rhythm for 10 days. Then the atrial fibrillation returned, and with a vengeance. Whereas before I had been asymptomatic, now I was feeling the AFib. It was like my heart was doing flip-flops in my chest. I'm taking twice-a-day Flecainide to try to force my heart back into rhythm, but it didn't seem to be working. At night, I really felt sometimes like maybe I would not wake up. I told the doctor, and sent copies of the ECG output my handy little portable ECG tester was showing, and they agreed I was back in AFib and told me to keep taking the blood thinners and Flecainide and don't worry about it. Fun.

However, yesterday I went back into normal sinus rhythm again spontaneously and I've stayed there for over 24 hours so far. So I'm hoping for the best.

I was never given a high chance of this working, since I was apparently in atrial fibrillation for so long to begin with. So I guess I should simply be grateful.

Anyway, just an update. Tonight's a dojo night. Another night of standing around and feeling basically useless.
No chance of cardioversion?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is there an opportunity to be a mentor or assistant?
I'm an instructor in addition to being a student. I volunteer my time to help teach the kids and the lower belt adults. However, about all I can do is watch them do their basics and kata and make corrections at the moment. I can't jump up and demonstrate the moves, and I can't hit or be hit. No sparring, no bag work, no warmup exercises like pushups or situps, etc.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No chance of cardioversion?
I had electrical cardioversion twice prior to my cardiac ablation; I went back into sinus rhythm for 2 seconds, so it failed. That's why I had the ablation, it was the only option left.

During the ablation, they hit me with the cardioversion shock to stop/restart my heart four times, and the last time, my heart went back into normal rhythm. It stayed there for 10 days.

I am now taking Flecainide, which is a type of 'chemical cardioversion'. The initial prescription is for 45 days, I'm on day 20.

I don't know what happens after that.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had electrical cardioversion twice prior to my cardiac ablation; I went back into sinus rhythm for 2 seconds, so it failed. That's why I had the ablation, it was the only option left.

During the ablation, they hit me with the cardioversion shock to stop/restart my heart four times, and the last time, my heart went back into normal rhythm. It stayed there for 10 days.

I am now taking Flecainide, which is a type of 'chemical cardioversion'. The initial prescription is for 45 days, I'm on day 20.

Ok, I hope all the best for you. Good luck. Dont get too down about it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm an instructor in addition to being a student. I volunteer my time to help teach the kids and the lower belt adults. However, about all I can do is watch them do their basics and kata and make corrections at the moment. I can't jump up and demonstrate the moves, and I can't hit or be hit. No sparring, no bag work, no warmup exercises like pushups or situps, etc.
Great. You are doing alot so don't feel useless.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score

One day at a time, bud. Big deep breaths, drink as much oxygen as possible while you're still living. Your heart might be in rough shape, its mission seems to be doing better than Artemis for the time being.

Is that some sort of AI-produced image of you in the avatar slot?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One day at a time, bud. Big deep breaths, drink as much oxygen as possible while you're still living. Your heart might be in rough shape, its mission seems to be doing better than Artemis for the time being.

Is that some sort of AI-produced image of you in the avatar slot?
It is. I asked DALL-E to draw in the style of Banksy a 60 year old bald bearded man in a karate gi. Turned out to look like me.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's been 20 days since the cardiac ablation. I was in normal sinus rhythm for 10 days. Then the atrial fibrillation returned, and with a vengeance. Whereas before I had been asymptomatic, now I was feeling the AFib. It was like my heart was doing flip-flops in my chest. I'm taking twice-a-day Flecainide to try to force my heart back into rhythm, but it didn't seem to be working. At night, I really felt sometimes like maybe I would not wake up. I told the doctor, and sent copies of the ECG output my handy little portable ECG tester was showing, and they agreed I was back in AFib and told me to keep taking the blood thinners and Flecainide and don't worry about it. Fun.

However, yesterday I went back into normal sinus rhythm again spontaneously and I've stayed there for over 24 hours so far. So I'm hoping for the best.

I was never given a high chance of this working, since I was apparently in atrial fibrillation for so long to begin with. So I guess I should simply be grateful.

Anyway, just an update. Tonight's a dojo night. Another night of standing around and feeling basically useless.
I'm sorry things went a bit backwards Bill... I'm hoping it's part of the process of thing adapting within your body. Glad things stabilised again though, keep on keeping on mate.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
My good buddy has a plaque in his foyer that states “Recount Your Blessings”. It Would appear that you might have many young eyes on you, learning how to handle a setback. Teach them well. A speedy recovery to you.

Latest Discussions