I'm a homeowner!!!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We just managed to buy a house in the San Francisco area, signed the papers yesterday.

I've lived in San Francisco since 1994. It's one of the most expensive parts of the country to live in, and I had long ago given up hope of ever owning a home here.

My wife and I just signed the papers and we are now homeowners in Daly City, which runs right up to the southern border of San Francisco proper. We are just over the line in Daly City, probably 1/4 mile from the border.

It's a modest little house, needs some work, but we will have an open basement where we can train and I can continue to do my metalworking and sword building, and maybe even set up a short archery range. We've also got a good sized back yard (for the area, anyway) which opens up more opportunities to add on to the house and stuff. We are hoping to turn it into a good home for us where we can be happy to live for many years.

It's been a very stressful month, finalizing the deal and stuff, but there we are.

I know the recession is tough for many people, but we were very careful with our finances, and saved for a long time, and it paid off for us.

My head's still in a bit of a spin, but I'm starting to see straight again.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FC that is wonderful, I hope you and yours enjoy every moment of the new house.:asian:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Congratulations. Even in a tough economy, owning a home is a good investment. I'm really happy for you!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congratulations from here as well. I can bet nothing feels quite as good as having your own house. Little fixer-uppers here and there can help you bond more to it and appreciate it more. Hope you have many happy hours in it.
San Fran huh? Well you've lived there long enough to know that things might get a bit shaky once in while... :lol:

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Congratulations!

I know the recession is tough for many people, but we were very careful with our finances, and saved for a long time, and it paid off for us.

You know you could have got in (over your head) a couple years ago before you were ready and got the same place for a lot more money and at a much higher interest rate! You really missed out.

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Congratulations from here as well. I can bet nothing feels quite as good as having your own house. Little fixer-uppers here and there can help you bond more to it and appreciate it more. Hope you have many happy hours in it.
San Fran huh? Well you've lived there long enough to know that things might get a bit shaky once in while... :lol:

Yup, and we are actually going to have the entire foundation replaced. The house was built in 1927 and has held up pretty well, but the foundation is in a state of deterioration and needs to be replaced and brought up to modern standards for the long haul. We managed to get the seller to concede a significant amount off our original offer, so we could have this work done. We'll end up with an up-to-date foundation here in earthquake country, and that's a very good thing!

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know you could have got in (over your head) a couple years ago before you were ready and got the same place for a lot more money and at a much higher interest rate! You really missed out.

Yes, I am vary aware of that. The house is a foreclosure sale that we are buying from the Bank. The prior owner walked away from it. They bought it a couple years ago for about 60% more than we are paying for it. Ultimately the Bank is taking a big hit, but I'm OK with that. They helped contribute to the financial crisis by happily lending far too much money to people who just could not afford it. I think it is right and just for the Bank to take a loss.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats, FC. MY wife and I are in the market for a house right now. I'm holding out for a full basement which can be subdivided into man cave and laundry room/workshop.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's wonderful, Michael!

Now that you own a house, there's no reason why you need ever again run the risk of thinking you have a free moment to sit and do nothing in... :lol:

...on the other hand, having your own place does give you a tremendous sense of liberation from the whims of landlords, and you no longer have to be frustrated because your decoration/remodeling/improvement ideas are all out of bounds—you own it and can do what you want with it. Great feeling!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One more thing, but something you aren't likely to run into in SF, but when I was out shoveling the 14-16 inches of snow from my driveway the other day, I just kept reminding myself that it was MY DRIVEWAY (and good exercise)! ;)

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One more thing, but something you aren't likely to run into in SF, but when I was out shoveling the 14-16 inches of snow from my driveway the other day, I just kept reminding myself that it was MY DRIVEWAY (and good exercise)! ;)

Oh yeah, there are REASONS why I moved away from Wisconsin...:rofl:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Righteous! Congrats!!!

Good luck with all your renovations, seriously. You got in at a great time!

Latest Discussions