Chuck Norris article

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The Most Underrated Part of the Inauguration
by Chuck Norris

01/27/2009

"I know inaugural news and commentary are already passé. But I could not find one report this past week that caught what I believe was the most subtle, strategic and possibly subversive moment of the inauguration ceremony. Did you catch it?

Like most news agencies, U.S. News & World Report reported that the Rev. Rick Warren's invocation "clearly opted for a conciliatory tone that eschewed any mention of culture-war issues." But Warren hardly was pacifying the elites or anyone else -- if you truly understand what he prayed. The invocation seemed like a rather benign blessing that even his most ardent foes could have interpreted as inclusive. But the real portrait of his [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]prayer[/color][/color] was quite to the contrary.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=30437

Isn't that awesome guys!! God Bless Rick Warren, Chuck Norris, and God Bless America!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
honestly, I'm indifferent to it.

But one thing is certain for me: I don't look to Chuck Norris for spiritual or religious guidance. Or anything else, for that matter.

I hesitate, and even cringe, at statements like "God bless America" because I am thoroughly unconvinced that The United States of America holds any special place in the mind and heart of God or whatever supreme being may or may not exist.

I'm an equal opportunity doubter tho, as I am likewise unconvinced that any other nation, religion, political party, or other special-interest group holds a special place in the heart or mind of God or whatever supreme being may or may not exist.

If he's really out there, I suspect he's watching us scurry about with quite a sense of amusement.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Usually, when I hear the words, Pray, Chuck, and Norris together they usually say something to the affect that, I pray that Chuck Norris doesn't kill me.

rhn_kenpo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm a Christian and generally like what Chuck Norris advocates.

But I don't follow him on this one.

Warren's prayer was well done, but it was also totally conventional and predictable. Reciting the Lord's Prayer is hardly a daring or groundbreaking move. That is not a pejorative, just a fact. 99.9 out of 100 pastors giving an Presidential inaugural invocation would have done the same thing. His message was sincere, approriate for the occasion and (in my view) absolutely correct. But there was nothing shrewd or even complex about his message.

OP
Brian S

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score

But one thing is certain for me: I don't look to Chuck Norris for spiritual or religious guidance. Or anything else, for that matter.

It was just a good article(I felt). Nothing more. Chuck Norris is not a pastor at my church, I think.

I hesitate, and even cringe, at statements like "God bless America" because I am thoroughly unconvinced that The United States of America holds any special place in the mind and heart of God or whatever supreme being may or may not exist.

God bless America is more of a request TO God, in this case, by me.

I'm an equal opportunity doubter tho, as I am likewise unconvinced that any other nation, religion, political party, or other special-interest group holds a special place in the heart or mind of God or whatever supreme being may or may not exist.

If he's really out there, I suspect he's watching us scurry about with quite a sense of amusement.

God does have a sense of humor. Look at all of us!!

OP
Brian S

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm a Christian and generally like what Chuck Norris advocates.

But I don't follow him on this one.

Warren's prayer was well done, but it was also totally conventional and predictable. Reciting the Lord's Prayer is hardly a daring or groundbreaking move. That is not a pejorative, just a fact. 99.9 out of 100 pastors giving an Presidential inaugural invocation would have done the same thing. His message was sincere, approriate for the occasion and (in my view) absolutely correct. But there was nothing shrewd or even complex about his message.

I believe it was. If you examine the Lord's prayer, it is highly complex.

HeartofJuyoMk2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:

Completely true in my opinion. First off, I don't like the entire notion that the US is a solely Christian country, and it galls me what has been carried out for certain twisted Christian values. I myself am Jewish, but not truly following.

What I mean is that somehow nations such as the US which do a supreme job of screwing things up seem to believe that they have the right to because of a set of "laws" that most of the world doesn't even subscribe to.

I also cringe at the pledge of allegiance because it feels to me like subliminal "YOU WILL SERVE US" messages. We work in this country, we pay taxes, we vote, and we built this country. The government owes us as well.

Enough of my rant however, Chuck Norris isn't a senior political analyst for the NY Times or the BBC, so until I hear it from somebody who specializes in politics, I don't believe the invocation had any real political substance, besides the fact that the conservative right-wing minister was supposedly used to draw parties together... while only pissing off a whole mess of people.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
You people need to get a grip. Guy posted an article that he liked. Didn't post it in the Study, which I take to mean he didn't care to debate the subject. Do you have to pee in the punchbowl, or can you let the guy share an article with likeminded folks at MT?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You people need to get a grip. Guy posted an article that he liked. Didn't post it in the Study, which I take to mean he didn't care to debate the subject. Do you have to pee in the punchbowl, or can you let the guy share an article with likeminded folks at MT?

OH MAN!!

There you go getting all reasonable and diplomatic like on us :D

Latest Discussions