IKKA Forum

P

ProfessorKenpo

I guess they took it off for awhile to straighten out the ordeal with Mr. Bennett's people. It was getting a little old but funny nevertheless.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

B

Billy Lear

I saw alot of mud-slinging going on over there too. Something about Shihan Bennett? What is a Shihan anyway? I've never heard the term. :confused:

TheEdge883

Green Belt
Reaction score
In Mr. Bennett's school, 'shihan' is a japanese title that stands for a master instructor over all the instructors in the school. Mr. Bennett is known around here for old school martial arts, which means he will probably takes the title thing seriously (black belt instructors are refered to Sensei, instructors in training are Sempai, that kinda stuff). It's kinda cheesy, but I figure whatever gets the job done.

G

gravity

Shihan is a japanese term usually refering to a japanese martial arts master 6 dan (degree) and above. 1st to 5th dan (degree) are refered to as Sensei. Sempai is assistent instructor. These are the aquivalent terms to Chinese Martial arts , Sihing (older brother- assistant instructor, Sifu - teacher, Sigung - teacher's teacher (grandmaster) & Sijo - Grandfather (Founder of the art)

Can be confusing at times :asian:

K

Kirk

Originally posted by TheEdge883
In Mr. Bennett's school, 'shihan' is a japanese title that stands for a master instructor over all the instructors in the school. Mr. Bennett is known around here for old school martial arts, which means he will probably takes the title thing seriously (black belt instructors are refered to Sensei, instructors in training are Sempai, that kinda stuff). It's kinda cheesy, but I figure whatever gets the job done.

So what's the story there? It seems there was some kind of
exodus from one of his schools? :confused: Seems those that
left are quite bitter.

B

Billy Lear

Originally posted by Kirk
left are quite bitter.

It doesn't matter to me... I don't know them nor do I care to know them. Hell, I'm glad I don't have a school in that area... It sure sounded like some of them were leaving, and that means shopping for a new place to call their Kenpo home. I feel sorry for that guy/gal (the potential new instructor)... With students like that who needs enemies?

Sincerely,
Billy

TheEdge883

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk
left are quite bitter.

I'll email you later with the details (it's pretty interesting), I don't like to name names on public forums. There really isn't any exodus at Mr. Bennett's school, his school is easily the most successful school in Utah.

TheEdge883

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Billy Lear
It doesn't matter to me... I don't know them nor do I care to know them. Hell, I'm glad I don't have a school in that area... It sure sounded like some of them were leaving, and that means shopping for a new place to call their Kenpo home. I feel sorry for that guy/gal (the potential new instructor)... With students like that who needs enemies?

Sincerely,
Billy

Yeah, again it's too bad. Because of all the crap that has gone on, it has damaged the reputation of both instructors. But again, there hasn't been any exodus from the school, the martial arts program has been just as strong as it has been. The problems that are happening are just with a couple of people who have been kicked out of the school (drugs, cheating their students and the other instructors out of a LOT of money, and other things).

Latest Discussions