If

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you are a TKD person than explain to me when you feel everything inside of TKD clicked with you and how far along in your training wheather sport or Traditional did it take place. What was it when it clicked and how did your training change from that point on.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it started clicking around green belt, but it wasn't "there" until I got my brown belt (2nd kup). The moves and the forms and lesser things of what I was doing just started to make more sense. I mean more than doing a front kick or whatever. I was able to break things down more. See where things were coming from. Visualize better... It started to feel more natural after a while.

wayofhandandfoot

White Belt
Reaction score
It clicked for me while 1rst dan. i was 6years deep in training. I didn't realize that i was doing the movements of tkd while walking straight and changing directions in my walk. I started breaking down the forms and seeing what used to be a block i use as strikes and breaks. (It clicked when i was studying my poomse and wondered why the form had me blocking after my finishing strike. Such as the beginning of koryo.) i then saw that the 270 turn in the middle of the previous forms can be used as a take down. and truly moving from the hips made things faster, stronger and more solid.

It took a while for those things to click.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it depends on what "clicked." In my opinion enlightenment (in just the basic sense of the word, not in an extreme Buddhist way ;) ) comes many times in someone's life, when you get that "ah-ha!" I remember being a brown belt and feeling like I finally had a good grasp of the basics. I remember as a 2nd dan feeling real power and purpose in Tae Geuk forms (before I had done them with great technique, and good snap, but didn't really THROW myself in to the form). I remember as a 3rd Dan feeling ki energy in my poomse (had felt it in Tai chi forever, but this is the first time it switched over to hard style). I remember as a 3rd the first time I felt no pain while in a horse stance forever (that was awesome!!!!) And just recently I have felt like all my basic techniques really are SOMETHING. Not wanting to appear like I think I "have it all down" - I KNOW that is not the case. but I just feel really GOOD about everything right now, you know? probably not a coincidence that this has coincided with my Sahbonim telling me to promote to 4th dan this year. :)
Many things have clicked over the years, and many more will (I hope!) I think that is one thing that is so great about martial arts. There is always more out there to "click." And most things "click" several different times. The many layers of the study is what truely makes it a life time pursuit- and make it something WORTH pursuing.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think as an orange belt, 6th gup for me. I mean I already had a ton of judo and wrestling under my belt. I also had a fair amount of hapkido so I think honestly that it all just started clicking quicker for me than it did for others in my peer rank. I understood the reasons why we did a lot of the drills etc. Afterall, getting a dan should be like getting a university degree. How do you do that? Answer: One bite at a time.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to answer that question. I've had a number of times where things have clicked. I came to TKD with a lot of experience in other MA's. I've basically never found an MA I didn't get something out of.

I can remember thinking the white belt stuff coming very easily (to the chagrin of my higher ranked classmates). That was embarassing because it looked like I was showing off (but I really wasn't trying to do so). Then I got into a mental slump because I wasn't feeling challeneged. I go thtrough that in a "click" when I learned to look deeper into what I was doing and started tieing it together more strongly with my past influences.

I had another click moment when I finally learned to accept that what I could do at 16 was no longer what I could do at 36. I learned how to work more efficiently and I mproved my speed, strength adn stamina as a result. My sparring and hoshinsul came together better.

I'm now working through another "click" moment as I recover from knee surgery. I can't physically train, but am really working the creative visualization and planning for my return to class in a few weeks. I need to be able to handle the disparity of where I am mentally with where I am physically and not let that get me down.]

Peace,
Erik

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've been training for a while, I've reached the dan levels and one thing I've come to understand is that the learning is infinite. Just when you think you're really good at our art, you're humbled by those higher than you because you're reminded, and it's true, that there are still so many areas that you need to master or at least get better at in our art.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a lot of clicks: my ankles, knees, right hip, lower back, wrists and hands when I make fists. :)

As an instructor, there is absolutely no greater joy than seeing a student have an "oh, NOW I get it" moment.

As an eternal student, I am happy that I get something new now and then. Some of the techniques we do seem to have few applications. I get more "clicks" now when I see the same techniques applied slightly differently at new targets. This is one of the benefits of cross-training in other arts. You get to see your original art in a slightly different light. If you've ever taken a foreign language, you learn a little bit more of your original tongue. Same thing.

Miles

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
It hit me when I did not get basic form two then the two hundredth time as Eimirl would say BAM it hit me and it still does to this day. 3 dans latter All the best in the arts

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, I caught the bug by about green belt, but I wouldn't say my movements/understanding really clicked until about red belt (but I would have been 15 at the time, so maybe immaturity had something to do with the late clicking).

However, I feel like I had another revelation/clicking just after my 3rd Dan where everything seemed to become another level clearer (i.e. my mind sort of freed itself from worrying about thinking too much about each move all the time and just started doing them, leaving me to focus on strategy or minor adjustments in technique without having to concentrate on just getting through it).

Anyone else had two levels of clicking? :)

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Day one. Never looked back. Trained 3 x a week from the start, even when other students in schoo were doing football, soccer, baseball etc. I was 14 years old and knew immediately I belonged there.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I caught the bug at my first seminar when I got a gold medal, I wouldn't say anything has totally "clicked yet" in a major way though, little "clicks" yes as in certain techniques have clicked and patterns have clicked but no major all encompasing "click" yet.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say green belt, for me. I trained at the dojang with my best friend. He was a natural athlete. And I....was not. At green belt, he quit! I was really having a hard time cuz he would help me a lot. But I realized that I really loved doing this stuff. It had become my thing. I started to "get" poomsae & even a few advanced kicks. "Thinking Taekwondo" (rather than just "doing it" & going thru the motions) began to happen.

Years later, my buddy & his son became my students! That was fun for us all.

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It didn't "click" for me until I started again in 2005. Though, that COULD be because I was SLIGHTLY older and just a LITTLE bit more mature.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
It clicked in 1986, when I was a red belt. At that point, I didn't know the difference between "traditional and sport" (and I don't think there was then) but it didn't matter. My entire TKD world was in the school with my instructor as my God like person. Things were so simple back then, no pads, there was one guy (in my world) making up the rules, everything made sense.

After I made 1st Dan I learned of the ATA politics, the ITF - WTF split, and just how many TKD school's of thought there are. It was an eyeopener to say the least.

Latest Discussions