If You Aren't Recording Class: You are Missing out

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't realize there was a site subscription. I've been using it for about 6 years without it. I've saved some videos to my computer by exporting them to my camera roll (or whatever it's called) on my iPhone. I'm sure there's a way to email the videos.

It doesn't have to be a long video session to be effective. Record a form or two (if you do forms). Record a few minutes of sparring.

You don't have to do everyone the same day/class. I'm sure you know your students well; record one for a few minutes, then after class review it with him/her. It realistically should only take a minute or two of sparring to see the mistakes they're making. It's not like a pro fighter/athlete analyzing hours of film.

My idea for someone like you is to keep your phone in an accessible place and grab it when you have a chance to do so. Record for a minute or two and show the student after class. Most students make the same mistakes over and over in sparring, such as posture, timing, etc. It gives them a chance to see exactly what you're seeing.

A phone is good enough. An iPad is better as the screen is bigger. I haven't put it on anything other than my iPhone, but as with other apps I'm pretty sure I can put the app on my iPad that has the same Apple ID.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm pushing it on you. It's just a great tool that's not as intimidating nor difficult as you may think it is.
I agree it's a great tool, and I like the idea of the app. Now if I can just get myself to remember to use it. My iPhone sits during every class in one of those convenient locations you mentioned. Sometimes there's even a tripod sitting next to it. And yet, I keep forgetting the damned thing is there. I think I enjoy classes too much.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As for recording, the staff at classes film and post publicly. I do often record my heavy bag sessions, but it's unfortunate that kicking is not allowed on the bags.

Grange

White Belt
Reaction score
We'll video sparring matches in Wu Ying Tao, but haven't used it much with Anis Jitsu. Watching our grappling matches seems like a good idea. Our sensei will often watch us grapple and then offer his critique at the end, and we often discuss the roll after time expires or a submission.

OP
S

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've recorded parts of classes. Not having a permanent location to set up cameras, it's a pain. Setting up one to catch one area of the room takes several minutes, and students somehow usually end up with their backs to it, or the group practicing technical details (so no flow to the movement) end up in front of it. And, frankly, many times I just forget to set the damned thing up.

There are specific exercises I'd like to record, where the video has the most value. These would be analogous to free rolling in BJJ. Since I don't always know what exercises we'll be doing (very small classes mean a single student's back pain can change my class plan), I haven't gotten into a rhythm of recording these. Once I have the new website up and running and add some membership features to it so I can post the videos for students to study, I'll have to do better.

I feel your pain. I am in a small class too. I have found that the only time that really works for us, when we have an odd man out who can step up and record

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions