Ideas for New DoJang

toddfletcher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I have the opportunity to build my own DoJang on land I have. I presently rent space in town.

Since I don't have to buy land, the cost should be pretty low. But I am looking for comments and ideas on how to build it. I have looked into traditional Hanok, simply steel buildings, etc...

If you could build your ideal DoJang, what would you do? (flooring, heating, size, shape, etc...)

Thanks in advance!!

-Master Todd

rframe

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'd favor a generic steel or wood clear span construction for flexibility. You can build internal non-structural walls in any layout or shape (straight, curved, etc) you want, or move them later. This would make it easy to decorate in any style you want with modern or traditional facades for the look/feel you're going after.

For the training floor I'd go with a seamless floor mat cover, easy to keep sanitary by mopping down without crud falling in the cracks.

Here's an interesting video showing how the Gracie Academy did their flooring. It's versatile, can be converted to regular carpet for banquets, parties, etc and is more affordable than buying a bunch of modular mats.

Last edited by a moderator:

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you want to save money on the flooring try having old tires underneath providing the springiness of the floor.

Check with local fire marshall before doing this. In the good old days, we trained jiu jitsu on a matted area that consisted of several inches of sawdust covered by a pool cover. Can't do that no more.

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would probably go with a rectangular shape, is this just a place for you to train, or are you planning on having students? How many people will be training at a time will to a large extent dictate how large you'll want to go.

I would build it with maybe 12' ceilings to have more than enough room for weapons practice without worrying about hitting the ceiling or lights - better higher than you need than too low.

Heating requirements will vary hugely depending on where you are, we can get away with not a lot in the PNW, if you're in northern Minnesota you're going to need a lot more insulation and higher BTU heaters.

We do a lot of rolls and throws in Hapkido, so I'd have to have a padded floor (getting to old to roll on cement every day!), if you're doing TKD you may only need a wood floor, that's what we had at the first two TKD schools I trained at.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My ideal? A big open square or rectangle, with puzzle mats on most of the floor as well as an area with thicker grappling/crash mats. Also, some big mats in different shapes. Mirrors and a handrail along at least one wall. Hanging punching bags as well as freestanding. Oh, and dedicated changing rooms with a shower!

ETA: But realistically - it sounds like this is a place you're going to be teaching out of, so the #1 most important thing is that it passes code. Talk to your local permitting office, and find out what you need to do to build a commercial-use building on your land.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I was building my own DoJang I would definitely go with an architectural style based on hanok. I wouldn't worry so much about mats, unless you're specifically doing hapkido or some other throw-heavy art. A good sprung wooden floor is the best training surface for a primarily striking art like Taekwon-Do or Tang Soo Do. Floor size would depend on whether or not you're planning for it to be a largely private training area or are actually going to hold classes in it. Mirrors along one wall are invaluable. A nice hanging portrait of the founder of your style would be good, too. Not too busy in the interior, though. Spartan is preferable to being lined with banners everywhere, IMO. Pax, Chris

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What capacity you looking towards? What is your area like? (commercial, schools, industrial etc?)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been building my own personal dojang in my basement. Essentially four walls, wood floor, stretching bar and bags. Enough room for forms and to practice kicks etc. The only draw back is that the ceiling is too low for weapons work. Still after about a year of basement renovation the sheet rock goes up this week and a ceiling within 2 wk and I'll have my man cave/dojang. It feels like a nice little indulgence.

OP
toddfletcher

toddfletcher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You guys are great! Thanks for the many replies.

This will be for teaching. I lease space that will be over the Oct. Also, i am about to absorb another school, so will need more space. I think 2000 to 2500 sq ft would be nice.

I have heard of the tires. Does it smell odd? I am in a cold climate area, so i like the idea of heated floor, maybe wood. I lived in Korea for several years as a kid, and remember enjoying the heated floors there.

Good ideas. I like simple. I will try to post updates here when i begin.

Let me know if you have any other ideas!

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been building one in my barn as well. I've found the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store to be an invaluable source for things like doors and windows. Also Craigslist.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So I have the opportunity to build my own DoJang on land I have. I presently rent space in town.

Since I don't have to buy land, the cost should be pretty low. But I am looking for comments and ideas on how to build it. I have looked into traditional Hanok, simply steel buildings, etc...

If you could build your ideal DoJang, what would you do? (flooring, heating, size, shape, etc...)

Thanks in advance!!

-Master Todd
Sounds great! What art or arts are you going to teach in the building?

Latest Discussions