Ice Fishing

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I got out for my first ice fishing outing this year. Temp was in the 20s and we had about five inches of ice. There was lots of slush from the recent storm we had. Hopefully, we get some colder weather to firm things up a bit. We caught two walleyes. Both were too small to keep. Anyone else ice fish?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gave not been in years, the last time was in 1982 and it was me my father and grandfather. It was a great time but did not catch a thing.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I just can't get my head around it. Standing out on a frozen lake holding a pole in the hopes of getting a fish before hypothermia sets in? It just doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

But then, I'll never be a real fisherman. I freely admit that the one that got away last time was smaller than the one I landed....

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I just can't get my head around it. Standing out on a frozen lake holding a pole in the hopes of getting a fish before hypothermia sets in? It just doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...166&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

I come from the land of the ice and snow
Where the midnight sun and the hot springs flow...

You can always psych yourself up to it.

Seriously, you don't even have to fish outside anymore. The ice gets so thick up here that entire towns are built upon it.

tq_003004_g.jpg

Hey, these guys are trolling!

ice%20fishing%20dudes.jpg

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
duluth.preview.jpg

This was the scene last winter. You could ice skate for four miles in any direction and the water was so clear that you could see the fish under the ice like looking through aquarium glass. That meant that they could see you, but it was still cool.

PS - my old house was right across the lift bridge. Five years ago, I was able to get out every night in order to bring up a couple of herring...

HebrewCossack

White Belt
Reaction score

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seriously, you don't even have to fish outside anymore. The ice gets so thick up here that entire towns are built upon it.

Don't tell me that's a satellite dish on the top of that one mobile home. . . errr. . . I mean ice fishing shanty. It's kind of like one of my friends pulling his fifth wheel 'camper' complete with its microwave and TV and calling that camping!

I too come from the land of ice and snow

Thanks, now you've Planted Immigrant Song in my head. ;)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have not been ice fishing in many years. Not enough beer to keep me warm on a cold frozen lake.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Never been ice fishing. I have no desire to go. I just don't do well in cold weather. I DO love to fish, though. Used to love fishing when I was stationed at LeJeune and especially in GTMO. Nowadays, the wife and I will take a kayak trip down the James river and fish for small mouth bass or hit nearby Smith Mountain Lake for largemouth, muskie and time together.

Latest Discussions