Iaido in Northern Virgina

Genghis

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm interested in finding a good Iaido dojo or private senior practicioner with whom to study in the northern VA area (Springfield, Kingstowne, Burke, Franconia, Alexandria, Falls Church, etc). I've tried the phone book and some unhelpful Google searches. Thought a posting might be more useful. Thank you.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's a group in DC that does Iado. I've lost my link to them but I'll certainly try to find it again. I'm in Roanoke and there is absolutely NO-ONE doing iado in this area. Good luck and I'll post for them again asap.

OP
G

Genghis

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, Jeff. I'll continue looking, read about one group in northern VA that's associated with several other traditional arts, but they didn't seem to be a traditional school. I've more expereince with karate than katana, and hope to learn from someone who knows their business. Appreciate your note.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Genghis, you may want to check out Dave Drawdy's Nakamura-ryu Batto-Do group. He is based in northern Virginia, though I don't know exactly where. Dave's an excellent teacher and an overall good guy. I know him from SFI, and have met him in person at the annual Sword Fest in Malvern, PA. He also posted a couple times on MT, under the username "Socho", but I haven't seen him around this board in over a month. You'll probably have better luck contacting him through Nakamura website.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note:
Thread moved to Sword Arts.
G Ketchmark / shesulsa
MT Super Moderator

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There is also Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu in Woodbridge. http://www.eishinkai.homestead.com/ A great group of guys. They are students of Greg Huff-sensei who is a 7th dan Kyoshi(second teaching license) down in North Carolina, who is a student of Maruyama-sensei(10th dan) of Saga City.

socho

White Belt
Reaction score
Genghis said:
... private senior practicioner ...
?? umm, ok. As mentioned and linked above (thanks, guys), we train in Nakamura-Ryu Batto-Do on Saturdays, 1:00-3:00, in Arlington, and Mugai Ryu Iaihyodo on Tuesdays, 7:30-9:30 in Woodbridge. (Also a Fredericksburg Nakamura-ryu class on Wednesdays). Anyone is welcome to visit a class anytime, and to 'try it out' after visiting. No guarantees, classes are usually fairly full.
Those visiting the area who study related or similar arts are welcome to come out on the mat with us anytime. Please contact me in advance, to check on possible conflicting events (Arizona tai kai 25 Aug, demo on Sept 9th, etc.)
Not sure of the status of the Eishinkai group (website not updated in two years, Matt has also moved out of the area), but they are certainly worth checking into. They are also in Woodbridge.
Our Bukokai also offers training in Kyudo, Jodo, Kendo, and Naginata-do, for those interested. Info on the website.

Dave

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
socho said:
Not sure of the status of the Eishinkai group (website not updated in two years, Matt has also moved out of the area), but they are certainly worth checking into. They are also in Woodbridge.

Well, as of last year's Embukai they were still up and running. I know Matt moved away, but was under the impression that the dojo was still up and running under the next senior student. That may not be true however. I think someone would have updated the website if it was shut down. Seriously outdated websites seem to be the norm in our group, but I think a closed dojo would make the todo list.

splice42

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
AntayaSensei said:
Your looking for www.tenshinichiryu.com The Tenshinichiryu protection arts incorporated Iaido. Doshu Shintaku is a very authentic Japanese master..
Hope this helps
AntayaSensei

This is not what you are looking for if you want to study a traditional Japanese sword art. You should note that this style was founded by the current master. There is a paucity of dates on the website, but I would imagine this art was founded no earlier than the late 70s or early 80s? Certainly no more than 50 years old. The style may well be based on traditional arts (the website mentions Eishin Ryu), but make no mistake: this is someone who broke away from his teachers and founded his own style. It's simply not the same as koryu.

Also, to the poster, one should never call themselves sensei or sign their name with sensei. Sensei is something other people call you, never something you call yourself.

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is not what you are looking for if you want to study a traditional Japanese sword art. You should note that this style was founded by the current master. There is a paucity of dates on the website, but I would imagine this art was founded no earlier than the late 70s or early 80s? Certainly no more than 50 years old. The style may well be based on traditional arts (the website mentions Eishin Ryu), but make no mistake: this is someone who broke away from his teachers and founded his own style. It's simply not the same as koryu.

Also, to the poster, one should never call themselves sensei or sign their name with sensei. Sensei is something other people call you, never something you call yourself.

I am a student of Doshu Shintaku, and I can attest to his personal skill, which is very, very good. Shintaku Doshu's Ten Shin Ichi Ryu (TM) is a classical life protection art, and trains in Aikido, Karatedo, Iaido, Kendo, Kobudo, Senbu, as well as Shodo. Ten Shin Ichi Ryu translates as "Heavenly Mind, Harmonious Energy Flow", Doshu describes it as a training system that is best summed up in "Ichi Ryu" which can be described as "one stream through which all divided streams come together". The styles included, as I have seen are taught as seperate styles, with the Ten Shin Ichi Ryu protection arr philosophy applied conceptually and physically, of course there is a personal flair, however. A student of Ten Shin Ichi Ryu will usually focus on one area of study, for instance Iaido, or Aikido, or Karate etc. and train in that art under the guidance of Doshu Shintaku utilizing his Ten Shin Ichi Ryu concepts, and philosophy. He is a phenomenal practicioner, and teacher, and I highly suggest him to anyone insterested in learning the true spirit of traditional Japanese martial arts, and ways...
Best Wishes,
--Josh

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just to be clear though, he did create this style? Nobody was doing it before him?

BTW, an update on the Eishinkai guys. They are definitely still training and their website was recently updated.

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Doshu Shintaku defines Ten Shin Ichi Ryu (TM) as a training method that can be applied to ALL martial arts...He teached Aikido, Iaido, Kendo, Karate (Ryukyu Kempo & Goju), Kobudo, Senbu, and Shodo.
He studied Eishin Ryu Iaido, and Aikido under Michio Hikitsuchi (10th Dan under O'sensei Ueshiba), and Ryukyu Kempo & Kobudo under Oyata Taika.
It is a very unique system, and I have met very few practicioners with Doshu Shintaku's skill level...So Ten Shin Ichi Ryu IS his, but it is developed on and from classical Japanese/Okinawan martial arts. Much more is availabe at www.tenshinichiryu.com
--Josh

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So the Iaido he is teaching is Eishin Ryu? Is he teaching it as it was taught to him or is he teaching a modified form incorporating his Ten Shin Ichi Ryu ideals? If he is still teaching an unmodified version, is he still associated with one of the Eishin Ryu branches, and if so which one? Inquiring minds want to know. It's always interesting to find new Eishin Ryu dojos.

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So the Iaido he is teaching is Eishin Ryu? Is he teaching it as it was taught to him or is he teaching a modified form incorporating his Ten Shin Ichi Ryu ideals? If he is still teaching an unmodified version, is he still associated with one of the Eishin Ryu branches, and if so which one? Inquiring minds want to know. It's always interesting to find new Eishin Ryu dojos.

I believe he also studied aikiken, but I cannot answer the other questions as I honestly have never asked him. Everything he teaches is in line with Ten Shin Ichi Ryu (TM) philosophy and concepts regarding the use of natural laws, mind/body connection, natural (peaceful) mind just to tap the surface on a simplistic level. As far as physical execution of technique I believe it is the same that he learned, but it takes on many new meanings and applications with the Ten Shin Ichi Ryu (TM) philosophy.
I cannot portend to be a master or even adept at the TSIR system, but I really enjoy it, and Doshu Shintaku does things I have never seen other instructors do in my 14 years in the arts..
If you would like to know details please feel free to contact
that is the hombu email, and you can get any info you want from them ;-)
Take care and sorry I could not be of direct help in these issues...
--josh

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think you have answered my question. It sounds as if his Iaido is very heavily influenced by his own theories, which presumably, takes it at least some distance from it's roots in MJER. Thanks for the information.

Latest Discussions