I thought I could try this forum

tigdra

Green Belt
Reaction score
I posted this in the northern chinese forum but got no response

I am trying to find out what is the difference between Faan Tzi Ying Jow Pai and Shang Tung Eagle Claw. I have found the requirements (name of the forms) for the Faan Tzi system but I can't kind any lists of the Shang Tung system. It would be great if someone could explaine to me the difference but more importantly provide me with a list of the Shang Tung Eagle Claw System.

so one please just give a response even "sorry dude dont know what the ****!! your talking about.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry dude, I am not nearly as knowledge on the different styles as some on this board are. Hang in there, maybe Xue Sheng, Flying Crane, 7*, clfsean, or one of the other more experienced will see the thread. :asian:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Eagle Claw
http://www.answers.com/Eagle%20Claw

Faan Tzi Ying Jow Pai
http://www.answers.com/topic/fanziquan
Northern Eagle Claw or Ying Jow Pai

Shang Tung Eagle Claw???
Are you sure this isn't Shandong Eagle Claw? There is a Shandong Eagle claw system, but I know little about it.

Or could it be Shum Leung? Shum Leung founded the 1st Eagle claw school in NYC

The big issues with researching Chinese martial arts, for all intensive purposes, are all….spelling.

Is it spelled correctly? What you hear and what you spell are generally 2 different things.

What is it spelled in “Pinyin” or “Wade Giles” ? And it helps to have both spellings, particularly for a Southern system

And if all else fails you need the actual Chinese characters.

Examples
“Xie xie” is mandarin for “thank you”, it is actually pronounced “shay shay”

Hsing i (wade Giles) and Xing I (pinyin) are the same and pronounced "Shing ee" and it is actually in pinyin Xingyiquan

Pinyin for Tai Chi Chuan is actually Taijiquan

Wing Chun - Simplfied Chinese: 咏春; Traditional Chinese: 詠春;

And there is one other thing to make it even harder, what dialect is it in.

Example for Wing Chun
Wing Chun or Ving Tsun - Cantonese
Yong Chun Quan - Mandarin

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I knew XS would come through with something. :D

(Forgot to mention pstarr in that group of CMA knowledgables earlier too. He's another one that may chime in.)

OP
T

tigdra

Green Belt
Reaction score
thank you jade tigress and xue sheng

the sytem of eagle claw is correctly spelled, if I am not mistaken Yeuh Fei developed.

The shang tung system has a website http://www.winglungkungfu.com/miami/eagleclaw.htm

Maybe with this information Xue sheng you could help me understand if there is a connection between styles or not.

Gaoguy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Shum Leung is a fanzi eagle claw guy. Fanzi is a typical northern style that adds solid basic gongfu to the more specialized eagle claw (chin na). It's sort of like the way Ken Takhoi added pigua to his monkey boxing. If you'll notice they mention fanzi on the "shang tung" site.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Gaoguy said:
Shum Leung is a fanzi eagle claw guy. Fanzi is a typical northern style that adds solid basic gongfu to the more specialized eagle claw (chin na). It's sort of like the way Ken Takhoi added pigua to his monkey boxing. If you'll notice they mention fanzi on the "shang tung" site.

Saw that and that is the connection.

But I am still thinking Shang Tung is Shandong.

The reference to mountains makes me think that as well.

And just about every other art in China claims lineage to Yeuh Fei so that I am taking with a grain of salt. The last one I saw that made that claim the guy in the lineage that was supposedly a student of Yeuh Fei was born a few hundred years after Yeuh Fei was killed. But it is possible that it is the truth.

Gaoguy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sure, it's Shandong but I suspect that is only a brand name. What they do is Lau's yingjow.

Latest Discussions