I need help writing a dissertation on the origins of Okinawan Karate

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, during the battle of the Pacific in WW2, most of any written records were lost during the bombing of Okinawa. Much of what we know is based on oral history passed on in regards to the earliest years.

There were 36 clans/families sent from China to Okinawa to help starting in 1392. The number "36" is symbolic and it is really unknown if that number was picked due to it symbolism and there were more/less sent, or if that number was specifically sent due to it significance. Either way, it is one of the earliest documented places where China and Okinawa had open relationships. From there, you get into oral tradition, that can't be confirmed about certain okinawan katas. Wansu, Chinto and Kusanku are all thought to be either created by, or created from teachings from Chinese kung fu practitioners that were on Okinawa.

There were 3 main cities in Okinawa that gave birth to "karate" Shuri, Naha and Tomari. They were known by the city and "te" meaning "hand". So, Shuri-te later became styles like Shorin-Ryu and Naha-te later became styles like Goju-Ryu. Tomari-te no longer exists as an independent style and is believed to have been incorporated into the Shuri based styles.

Naha-Te styles originate mainly from Kanryo Higoanna who went to China himself and studied a type of karate/kung fu while there. There are many theories on what he learned and who his teacher was. Kanryo had two main offshoots from his karate. To'on-Ryu and Goju-Ryu, both have the main four katas (seisan, sanchin, sanseiru and suparenpei) but differ on the other katas. One theory is that Chojun Miyagi did not learn all of Goju-Ryu's katas from Kanryo but created the others himself based on what he had learned, the other theory being that Kanryu taught him the "secret katas" that he shared with no one else. The other main style of Naha-Te is Uechi-Ryu. Kanbun Uechi also went to southern China and learned kung fu and brought it back to Okinawa. It was taught exactly how he learned it in China without changes when he taught in Okinawa. Uechi had seisan, sanchin and sanseiru but not suparenpei, there is dispute among people if he didn't learn the 4th kata or if what he studied did not include it. Kanei Uechi, changed what his father taught as karate spread and modified it to a more japanese approach and it was during this time the other kata were created.

Shuri-Te styles go back further and seem to be based on chinese kung fu that was brought to Okinawa and was combined with their own indigenous art(s). The main Shuri style today is Shorin-Ryu (Funakoshi was a student of this lineage in his creation of Shotokan). Sakugawa is the main person who was responsible for the "importing" of karate to Shuri. His student was Matsumura and then Itosu. Itosu was one of the first who wanted karate to be widespread and taught to everyone. He went on record stating that he altered the katas to make them safe for school children. Itosu also created the Pinan forms based on older kata. Itosu penned the "10 Precepts" and states that karate did not come from Confucianism or Buddhism.

There are other karate masters who were very important in its development, but this is kind of a quick overview.
Pretty good synopses.
The only hick up is that to my knowledge Kanbun Uechi didn't bring his art to Okinawa, he taught in china and on the main land Japan. It was his son and his student who returned to Okinawa. Kanbun from what I understand taught Chinese kung fu, using the Chinese language and the full curriculum including herbs and medicines.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pretty good synopses.
The only hick up is that to my knowledge Kanbun Uechi didn't bring his art to Okinawa, he taught in china and on the main land Japan. It was his son and his student who returned to Okinawa. Kanbun from what I understand taught Chinese kung fu, using the Chinese language and the full curriculum including herbs and medicines.
Any idea what system it was? And is Uechi-Ryu still the one-and-the-same as that Chinese system?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Any idea what system it was? And is Uechi-Ryu still the one-and-the-same as that Chinese system?
From what I’ve read/understand, it was called Pangai noon. No one really knows what that translates as, even in Chinese languages.

Uechi Ryu has been changed since Uechi Kanbun taught it. Several kata have been added by the subsequent inheritors of the system. I believe all of them have been his children and their children.

Also I was told that no one knew who Uechi Kanbun learned from for quite some time. Patrick McCarthy gives a history in his Bubishi translation, which I believe has been accepted and/or confirmed by the Uechi family.

I’m not a Uechi Ryu expert, so I’m sure someone with more knowledge of it could correct any errors here.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
From what I’ve read/understand, it was called Pangai noon. No one really knows what that translates as, even in Chinese languages.

Uechi Ryu has been changed since Uechi Kanbun taught it. Several kata have been added by the subsequent inheritors of the system. I believe all of them have been his children and their children.

Also I was told that no one knew who Uechi Kanbun learned from for quite some time. Patrick McCarthy gives a history in his Bubishi translation, which I believe has been accepted and/or confirmed by the Uechi family.

I’m not a Uechi Ryu expert, so I’m sure someone with more knowledge of it could correct any errors here.
From what i read back when i researched it, the original translation of pangai noon, was something along the lines of "the hard and soft" style, and it came from a now-unused dialect, but i absolutely should not be quoted on that.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Unfortunately, during the battle of the Pacific in WW2, most of any written records were lost during the bombing of Okinawa. Much of what we know is based on oral history passed on in regards to the earliest years.

There were 36 clans/families sent from China to Okinawa to help starting in 1392. The number "36" is symbolic and it is really unknown if that number was picked due to it symbolism and there were more/less sent, or if that number was specifically sent due to it significance. Either way, it is one of the earliest documented places where China and Okinawa had open relationships. From there, you get into oral tradition, that can't be confirmed about certain okinawan katas. Wansu, Chinto and Kusanku are all thought to be either created by, or created from teachings from Chinese kung fu practitioners that were on Okinawa.

There were 3 main cities in Okinawa that gave birth to "karate" Shuri, Naha and Tomari. They were known by the city and "te" meaning "hand". So, Shuri-te later became styles like Shorin-Ryu and Naha-te later became styles like Goju-Ryu. Tomari-te no longer exists as an independent style and is believed to have been incorporated into the Shuri based styles.

Naha-Te styles originate mainly from Kanryo Higoanna who went to China himself and studied a type of karate/kung fu while there. There are many theories on what he learned and who his teacher was. Kanryo had two main offshoots from his karate. To'on-Ryu and Goju-Ryu, both have the main four katas (seisan, sanchin, sanseiru and suparenpei) but differ on the other katas. One theory is that Chojun Miyagi did not learn all of Goju-Ryu's katas from Kanryo but created the others himself based on what he had learned, the other theory being that Kanryu taught him the "secret katas" that he shared with no one else. The other main style of Naha-Te is Uechi-Ryu. Kanbun Uechi also went to southern China and learned kung fu and brought it back to Okinawa. It was taught exactly how he learned it in China without changes when he taught in Okinawa. Uechi had seisan, sanchin and sanseiru but not suparenpei, there is dispute among people if he didn't learn the 4th kata or if what he studied did not include it. Kanei Uechi, changed what his father taught as karate spread and modified it to a more japanese approach and it was during this time the other kata were created.

Shuri-Te styles go back further and seem to be based on chinese kung fu that was brought to Okinawa and was combined with their own indigenous art(s). The main Shuri style today is Shorin-Ryu (Funakoshi was a student of this lineage in his creation of Shotokan). Sakugawa is the main person who was responsible for the "importing" of karate to Shuri. His student was Matsumura and then Itosu. Itosu was one of the first who wanted karate to be widespread and taught to everyone. He went on record stating that he altered the katas to make them safe for school children. Itosu also created the Pinan forms based on older kata. Itosu penned the "10 Precepts" and states that karate did not come from Confucianism or Buddhism.

There are other karate masters who were very important in its development, but this is kind of a quick overview.

Very good overview. It's sad that so much history was lost in the war. Oral tradition and scraps of written history are further complicated due to the fact that, especially after the time of Matsumura and Higoanna, there was so much "cross-pollination" between the Masters of late 1800's Okinawa. It was a small community and there was a lot of interaction between that generation of instructors. And that even in the time of Matsumura and Higoanna their training was not only from Okinawa, but also China; true for many of their students as well. So it's difficult to get a precise lineage tree (but a little mystery is not a bad thing.)

My reading is that Kanryo studied with a Chinese, popularly known as Ryu Ryu Ko and with Arikake Seisho. And Sakugawa came from the Chatan Yara and Ku San Ku line. Another complication is that people went by multiple names in the old days - not just having a Chinese name and an Okinawan name, but aside from that, they would take on new names, themselves! But we know enough of the history of Karate to appreciate the tradition and, as martial artists, strive to be good stewards of our heritage.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think it will be very difficult to make links from Funakoshi to the Chinese arts. Be very careful not to confuse the Shorin styles and the Naha Te styles. They have totally different histories.

Funakoshi Gichin was often called "The father of modern karate." I suppose that's true if you define "modern" as the simplified, watered down version he introduced to the public schools, along with Itosu. Itosu had both Naha and Shuri-te influences and probably had a bigger impact on Okinawan karate than Funakoshi. One part of me regrets the sanitization and popularization; the other part realizes that without their efforts, most of us would not be martial artists.

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
This sounds awesome. I don’t study karate, so I’d be no help, but I’d love if you shared it with MT when it’s done. I’d like to read it.
I certainly will do. I have been working on my introduction. When it's done, I'll post it.

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score

This is really good and useful information. Do you have any sources for this which I can cite? Would you also be willing to start a private messaging conversation? Thanks very much.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Scouting out the historical course of Karate, by Henning Wittwer (i think he has others too).

Weaponless Warriors by Richard Kim (less history more folk tales)

Shotokan's Secret, cant remember who by...

There are a million other good books, but the information is scattered in a line here or a paragraph there.

See if you can find anything online from the Shoto Research Society International. They had done a lot of research in the early 2000s and have a few articles knocking around the net.

Avoid Harry Cook's book. We don't give money to paedophiles.

Last edited:

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pretty good synopses.

Good point, in my head I knew he taught in Japan for a time but thought he had returned to Okinawa at a later time. I forgot that students like Toyama Sensei learned it in Japan and then returned to Okinawa where the taught. Toyama Sensei kept the art as Kanbun taught it and did not make the changes that Kanei did.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Scouting out the historical course of Karate, by Henning Wittwer (i think he has others too).

Weaponless Warriors by Richard Kim (less history more folk tales)

Shotokan's Secret, cant remember who by...

There are a million other good books, but the information is scattered in a line here or a paragraph there.

See if you can find anything online from the Shoto Research Society International. They had done a lot of research in the early 2000s and have a few articles knocking around the net.

Avoid Harry Cook's book. We don't give money to paedophiles.

Harry Cook's book is probably one of the more accurate and researched books on Shotokan, but agree with you on him as a person.

I would avoid Shotokan's Secret as a reference book. It is very good from a "what if" perspective on his theory, but nothing can be proven about the changes in the katas that became Shotokan.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is really good and useful information. Do you have any sources for this which I can cite? Would you also be willing to start a private messaging conversation? Thanks very much.

I will track down some specific sources to help you. Lots of just reading things from all over the place and seeing what people agree with and what others don't. Also, many times "creation" stories of the arts were done to make things older than they were (Confucian influence of old is better). Also, stories were exaggerated, not to lie but to inspire students to try and achieve more.

As someone else pointed out, Okinawa was not a large island and the three cities were within walking distance of each other and there was alot of contact between them. Also, until after WW2 there weren't style names and set styles. People trained with each other and exchanged ideas. After the war, it became profitable to teach and make a "brand" for yourself on what you taught. For example, there was a meeting of the main masters in Okinawa and discussed changing the meaning of the word "kara-te" from "China hand" to "empty hand" in the mid 1930's.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Harry Cook's book is probably one of the more accurate and researched books on Shotokan, but agree with you on him as a person.

I would avoid Shotokan's Secret as a reference book. It is very good from a "what if" perspective on his theory, but nothing can be proven about the changes in the katas that became Shotokan.
True, but it's history is pretty good from what I remember.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I reached out to an old Uechi buddy from back in the day. He referred me to the Okinawan Prefectural Board of Education.

Organization Chart / Official Website of Okinawa Prefecture

I looked around in there and there seems to be some stuff that might help you. As I clicked around I found some martial references that might help as well.

Kanbun Uechi | Revolvy

At the very least, it's Okininwa government today. Should add some weight to your paper.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I certainly will do. I have been working on my introduction. When it's done, I'll post it.
When you post it, let us know if you want fact-checking, grammar/editing, or neither. If you don't specifically say you dont want them, youll probably end up with both

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
my opinion is that the original Chinese styles of both Uechi and Goju didnt have a name in China. its my understanding that many local arts didnt have names. only the very common styles had names and many different variations of Fujian arts "borrow" the famous names.
this would explain why there is not a clean historical link to something like white crane.
there is no doubt in my mind that all three Naha- Te styles; Uechi, Goju and Ruei Ryu all come from the same source or parent art. the movement "DNA" of single arm strikes followed by the double arm strikes is unique. no other style that i have seen does the single arm strike, except one Reverent Tiger fist.
in my opinion the original Chinese style was its own unique style. there are facets of white crane but also tiger fist and hints of Lohan Quan. most likely after the boxer rebellion the style died out but it is always possible that due to government "intervention" that there are still a few who know it but wouldnt speak publicly.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
my opinion is that the original Chinese styles of both Uechi and Goju didnt have a name in China. its my understanding that many local arts didnt have names. only the very common styles had names and many different variations of Fujian arts "borrow" the famous names.
this would explain why there is not a clean historical link to something like white crane.
there is no doubt in my mind that all three Naha- Te styles; Uechi, Goju and Ruei Ryu all come from the same source or parent art. the movement "DNA" of single arm strikes followed by the double arm strikes is unique. no other style that i have seen does the single arm strike, except one Reverent Tiger fist.
in my opinion the original Chinese style was its own unique style. there are facets of white crane but also tiger fist and hints of Lohan Quan. most likely after the boxer rebellion the style died out but it is always possible that due to government "intervention" that there are still a few who know it but wouldnt speak publicly.

Another possible source is Ngo Cho Kuen (Five Ancestor Fist) which was also a southern art. Here is a clip of their version of Sanchin (Sam Jian).

Even in the Okinawan arts, they didn't have names for what they did until they started to "commercialize" their art and teach for money.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another possible source is Ngo Cho Kuen (Five Ancestor Fist) which was also a southern art. Here is a clip of their version of Sanchin (Sam Jian).

Even in the Okinawan arts, they didn't have names for what they did until they started to "commercialize" their art and teach for money.

Five ancestor fist, an ancestor? no. an influence on Miyagi Sanchin, possible.
ive seen this clip and maybe 100 other versions of sanchin. my thoughts are that most versions of Chinese sanchin start with the double strikes, just like this clip. they often do a few steps forward and a few steps backward. then end with some elaborated moves. the Okinawan sanchin versions do not share these traits. Okinawan sanchin does single arm strikes as a primary feature. Miyagi's teacher Kanryo Higaonna (from what i understand) did not do backward steps but his sanchin looked like the uechi version which has a turn more forward steps and another turn. When Miyagi went to China he studied sanchin there and upon his return he taught his students to close the fists and to do the backward stepping. its possible that this was inspired by the five ancestor fist but i dont think anyone knows for sure. also none of the Okinawan sanchin versions do any kind of elaborated ending. they all follow the progression of single arm strikes, 3 double arm strikes and the signature circle with double palm stikes (goju calls this move tora guchi) and it ends there. no elbows, no side punches, nothing.
i do believe that martial arts evolve and change over time but looking at the time frames of the Okinawan arts and the Chinese styles. the evolution of kata is much slower than the time frames we know about these arts. i dont believe that the five ancestor fist or any other commonly known sanchin could have changed to what we see in Okinawa in such a short time frame due to normal deviations as the form is passed from one generation to the next.
this is why i believe that the form we know in Okinawa must have evolved in China over a long period of time, was passed to the founders of the Okinawan arts then possibly died out on the main land.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ive seen this clip and maybe 100 other versions of sanchin. my thoughts are that most versions of Chinese sanchin start with the double strikes, just like this clip. they often do a few steps forward and a few steps backward. then end with some elaborated moves. the Okinawan sanchin versions do not share these traits. Okinawan sanchin does single arm strikes as a primary feature. Miyagi's teacher Kanryo Higaonna (from what i understand) did not do backward steps but his sanchin looked like the uechi version which has a turn more forward steps and another turn. When Miyagi went to China he studied sanchin there and upon his return he taught his students to close the fists and to do the backward stepping. its possible that this was inspired by the five ancestor fist but i dont think anyone knows for sure. also none of the Okinawan sanchin versions do any kind of elaborated ending. they all follow the progression of single arm strikes, 3 double arm strikes and the signature circle with double palm stikes (goju calls this move tora guchi) and it ends there. no elbows, no side punches, nothing.
i do believe that martial arts evolve and change over time but looking at the time frames of the Okinawan arts and the Chinese styles. the evolution of kata is much slower than the time frames we know about these arts. i dont believe that the five ancestor fist or any other commonly known sanchin could have changed to what we see in Okinawa in such a short time frame due to normal deviations as the form is passed from one generation to the next.
this is why i believe that the form we know in Okinawa must have evolved in China over a long period of time, was passed to the founders of the Okinawan arts then possibly died out on the main land.
Miyagi was known to change kata to suit the individual rather than teach everyone the same exact way. He allegedly taught Sanchin open handed and close handed, and with and without turns.

I think earlier on he taught it open handed, then taught everyone close handed later on. I also think he standardized things more later on. There are Miyagi lineages who do turns and other lineages that don’t. I think they’re all close handed at this point though.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score

I should have been more clear. Possible "influence", not source. There are NO kung fu styles in existence today that match Okinawan karate. NONE, there have been several trips to China and no one has come up with any katas/forms that match as a direct translation. This is why it is felt that whatever Higaonna and Uechi learned was a combination of things and no set style.

In regards to Sanchin, it used to be used as a floor exercise. It didn't matter if you started on the left or the right side and you would just continue to walk up the floor, turn and go back the other way. Both Higaonna and Uechi taught it very similar from how it is described in sources. Miyagi did close the fists and changed the breathing pattern in the kata. Also, Miyagi removed the turns and added the backwards steps because there wasn't the opportunity for students to practice moving backwards, but plenty of turn in other kata.

I am not sure what you mean by the elaborate ending in the Ngo Cho Kuen Sanchin. Just having the elbow strikes and punches?

Latest Discussions