I Joined a UFC Gym

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I posted a while ago that I was thinking of taking a break from TKD and joining a Muy Thai gym. TKD was a little far, and I wanted to expand beyond the sport aspect that the school focussed on.

As it turns out, the Muy Thai gym moved farther from my house, but a UFC gym opened about 600 metres away.

I'm really enjoying the UFC gym. There is a such a variety of guys there: BJJ, boxing, and MT. One of the boxing / MT instructors said he was a 4th dan in ITF TKD, so I've enjoyed talking to him about what TKD he likes and doesn't like doing. Here's a video...some nice tornadoes and back kicks. See 6:35 as an example.

I got my 1st dan certificate and still feel that there are many things I can work on by myself. I enjoy kicking in front of the mirror, working on my hands and elbows, and even getting inspired by 10 year kids and trying cartwheels!

All in all, I am definitely enjoying something new.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
An actual ufc gym?

images

OP
G

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Is that normal for a UFC gym?
Not sure what part you are referring to. It is NOT common for guys to practice in front of the mirror. I'm pretty much the only one doing that. If you mean cartwheels, I saw one of the classes had people doing cartwheels, so I thought I'd try it for the first time in 30 years. I'm also doing rolls in the cage by myself, which is not common. The gym so far has a clientele of maybe 85% class attendance, 15% solo training (weights, bags, cardio, msc fitness). I am one of the 15%.

OP
G

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you put that in a movie script, I'd say "that would never work". You never know I guess!

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not sure what part you are referring to. It is NOT common for guys to practice in front of the mirror. I'm pretty much the only one doing that. If you mean cartwheels, I saw one of the classes had people doing cartwheels, so I thought I'd try it for the first time in 30 years. I'm also doing rolls in the cage by myself, which is not common. The gym so far has a clientele of maybe 85% class attendance, 15% solo training (weights, bags, cardio, msc fitness). I am one of the 15%.
I was referring to cartwheels and Dan grades.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Surprise attacks and setups go a long way against people who arent kickers themselves and dont train with kickers

We also tend to lean towards what is intuitive and thinkatt singing will work because we have this line of logic that says it does.

It is not always the case.

High kicks are a good example of that.

OP
G

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was referring to cartwheels and Dan grades.
Ah, I see. No, the 1st dan was at a KKW/WTF school. Although the UFC gym talked about having TKD classes, I doubt they will since most people attracted to "UFC" want BJJ, boxing, and MT in terms of martial arts.

Latest Discussions