I hesitate to post this but...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is a video someone sent me of my first Tameshigiri a couple summers ago.

My form is PERFECT *gag* *gag* *puke*

MY FIRST TAMESHIGIRI

Don't flame me TOO hard, I know its not the best... but I had never done it before. (not that I have improved much, but hey.)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good for you and I hope that you had a good time with your first experience!
icon14.gif
Tameshigiri is a lot of fun!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am looking forward to doing that for my first time. I am getting one of the Cheness "Oniyuri" (without fuller) as a gift. So I am hoping to do some cutting with it soon following it's arrival.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dunno what you're gagging about... for a first timer you did pretty good... you cut the dang thing didn't ya? You should be proud of how sharp that blade is... the cuts were nice and clean.

Way to go... keep it up. Keep us posted.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kudos to you on having the courage to post a video of yourself at all!!!!

...And MA-Caver is 100% correct: that is a GREAT first cut. My first cut through mat was NOT AT ALL pretty - Thankfully, no one present had a camera! I fared much better (I couldn't have done any worse ;) ) on my first pass cutting bamboo.

As a suggestion, you might want to save this video for yourself. That way, as you practice, you can see exactly where and how much in your technique you improve.

Congrats again!

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am looking forward to doing that for my first time. I am getting one of the Cheness "Oniyuri" (without fuller) as a gift. So I am hoping to do some cutting with it soon following it's arrival.

I have an oniyuri. I didnt like the way it cut.

I was using a Paul Chen Tsunami (i think, its been quite a while) in that video. It was my instructor's sword.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good for you and I hope that you had a good time with your first experience!
icon14.gif
Tameshigiri is a lot of fun!

Yeah, I have done it since then, and I do enjoy it, although sword isnt my favorite weapon by far, it is still enjoyable to cut.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not bad at all. The most important part of one's cutting abilities is the technique, assuming that the sword itself is of reasonably decent quality.

To put it this way, my old teacher can cut tatami with greater ease, using a katana that isn't quite as sharp as mine, as his technique makes mine look pitiful, indeed!

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I thought you did very well for your first time out. However, I would caution you that you should NEVER lock out your elbow the way you did at the end of your cuts in that video. You can suffer serious joint problems in short order that way. It's a fairly common habit and very bad for your body.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No shame in what was seen there, Cryo :tup:.

First time at anything is always hard but as Caver said, you cut and cut clean ... I've seen a few first time tamashagiri attempts simply knock the stand over.

If you're after constructive criticism as well as fully deserved praise then, for forms sake, I'd try to cut from a little further away, with the sword starting in hasso, transitioning to jodan, and properly step through rather than shifting the weight with feet fixed.

As ever tho', styles and sensei preferences vary and others may disagree.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I don't know enough about it to give any constructive critism, but I thought it looked great and you should be proud of your first attempt. I know it's not easy. :asian:

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is it the way you are taught in your style to lean into the cut like that or is that a habit?

I would say it was mostly bad posture on my part. I think I have overcome that somewhat since then.

Latest Discussions