I have decided to check out Freddie Pooles Martial Arts in Dallas

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was going to do tkd but this school intrigued me more. An American Karate curriculum along with legit muy Thai and Carlos Machado affiliated bjj program all under one roof. Seems Iā€™ll get better training for my moneys worth. I plan to earn my karate blackbelt while infusing it together there muy Thai program and train In there bjj program as well. What are your thoughts? Do that or go to a pure wtf tkd school? I want to eventually get into pro kickboxing. Also one other question.. Has anyone ever heard of Ernie Reyes West Coast martial arts organization? What style would that organization be considered? Itā€™s a hybrid mma belted system. Thanks!

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with your assessment that you're getting more bang for your buck. Also if you're looking to get into kickboxing, Karate and Muay Thai should more than cover those bases for you. Additionally, I personally would never choose a pure WTF TKD over a school that teaches Muay Thai and Machado Bjj.

Ernie Reyes has traditionally been a TKD organization. That may have changed over the years.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you starting, at all, at 31 and thinking about pro kickboxing?

To me it is clearly Muay Thai first. Karate or TKD second. I would not bother about BJJ for now (unless you do not have a full time job...). If you want to go pro, you need to bet everything in one sport; and to be the fittest you can (it would be a ā€˜full time jobā€™ on its own).

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was going to do tkd but this school intrigued me more. An American Karate curriculum along with legit muy Thai and Carlos Machado affiliated bjj program all under one roof. Seems Iā€™ll get better training for my moneys worth. I plan to earn my karate blackbelt while infusing it together there muy Thai program and train In there bjj program as well. What are your thoughts? Do that or go to a pure wtf tkd school? I want to eventually get into pro kickboxing. Also one other question.. Has anyone ever heard of Ernie Reyes West Coast martial arts organization? What style would that organization be considered? Itā€™s a hybrid mma belted system. Thanks!

That is a very full plate of workout. I hope you can keep your enthusiasm at its current level. Assuming you are working and have a family, life can get in the way pretty quick, It is very difficult getting very good at any one thing for most people (MA, work, education, dance, etc...). I looked at the business website and it seems to be a very large "school" with a very diverse offering. There is a lot of value in cross training but know it too comes at a price. It is the jack of all trades analogy. Good at a lot of things but expert in none.
So if you seriously plan to get in the ring, talk to and learn about others who are kickboxing. If their training lines up with what your school offers, go for it while you can.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

OP
Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
That is a very full plate of workout. I hope you can keep your enthusiasm at its current level. Assuming you are working and have a family, life can get in the way pretty quick, It is very difficult getting very good at any one thing for most people (MA, work, education, dance, etc...). I looked at the business website and it seems to be a very large "school" with a very diverse offering. There is a lot of value in cross training but know it too comes at a price. It is the jack of all trades analogy. Good at a lot of things but expert in none.
So if you seriously plan to get in the ring, talk to and learn about others who are kickboxing. If their training lines up with what your school offers, go for it while you can.
I want to do kickboxing but I want to blend my own style of it. What I want to do in reality is blend TKD with boxing for kickboxing. I want to go out of the box with my style compared to the basic old Muay Thai style almost every kickboxer comes to the ring with. I have boxing experience from the past. I have a job part time but no wife or kids or any obligations of that sort. In reality I want to focus on tkd and take that journey while I cross train in boxing and then just add in muy Thai knees into my game. Most kickboxing organizations donā€™t have the clinch so I feel tkd and boxing make an excellent combo for competition kickboxing. Tkd provides excellent kick with excellent footwork that I feel can translate into boxing.

OP
Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
I want to do kickboxing but I want to blend my own style of it. What I want to do in reality is blend TKD with boxing for kickboxing. I want to go out of the box with my style compared to the basic old Muay Thai style almost every kickboxer comes to the ring with. I have boxing experience from the past. I have a job part time but no wife or kids or any obligations of that sort. In reality I want to focus on tkd and take that journey while I cross train in boxing and then just add in muy Thai knees into my game. Most kickboxing organizations donā€™t have the clinch so I feel tkd and boxing make an excellent combo for competition kickboxing. Tkd provides excellent kick with excellent footwork that I feel can translate into boxing.
I also feel Iā€™ll get my moneyā€™s worth more if I train at a tkd dojang and train part time at a cheap boxing gym separately then put it together on my own.

OP
Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with your assessment that you're getting more bang for your buck. Also if you're looking to get into kickboxing, Karate and Muay Thai should more than cover those bases for you. Additionally, I personally would never choose a pure WTF TKD over a school that teaches Muay Thai and Machado Bjj.

Ernie Reyes has traditionally been a TKD organization. That may have changed over the years.
I trained at a Ernie Reyes school. And the head instructor granted me a brown belt when I first started because I had been in the ring before. He tested me privately and put me at brown belt when I first started there. I thought it was odd and not legit

OP
Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think what I might do is join my tkd school itā€™s called Master Lees tkd academy ran by a Korean 6th dan. Then I could train at Freddie Pooles just for the muy Thai program. Both schools donā€™t over lap each other or my work schedule and both schools are within ten miles from me and my work. I feel I could blend both arts together beautifully training them together. Iā€™m a good athlete and very coachable. I have done Amatuer boxing and Amatuer mma but my true passion is kickboxing.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Beware of becoming the one-trick-pony who has only one thing in your life. Martial arts is great, but life ought to be more rich and diverse than that. Trying to train in everything can make you into a one-trick-pony.

Iā€™ve met such folks, they have one and only one thing they can talk about. It gets tedious.

OP
Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
Beware of becoming the one-trick-pony who has only one thing in your life. Martial arts is great, but life ought to be more rich and diverse than that. Trying to train in everything can make you into a one-trick-pony.

Iā€™ve met such folks, they have one and only one thing they can talk about. It gets tedious.
Iā€™m training in tkd and boxing. I donā€™t see myself being a one trick pony. If you spend years training in both arts you sure as **** can be efficient in both. I have boxed off and on for ten years. If I continue boxing and I take a serious tkd journey along with it I see myself being extremely proficient in pure stand up and especially for kickboxing. I donā€™t have plans of doing grappling as of right now. Iā€™m strictly focused on tkd and boxing.

OP
Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
Iā€™m training in tkd and boxing. I donā€™t see myself being a one trick pony. If you spend years training in both arts you sure as **** can be efficient in both. I have boxed off and on for ten years. If I continue boxing and I take a serious tkd journey along with it I see myself being extremely proficient in pure stand up and especially for kickboxing. I donā€™t have plans of doing grappling as of right now. Iā€™m strictly focused on tkd and boxing.
I decided to train at my tkd school with a terrific 6th dan instructor 3 times a week and filling in the rest with boxing at my current boxing gym. Iā€™ll blend and mesh the two together in my own style for kickboxing competition. I also did Muay Thai for a couple years so Iā€™m very familiar with the clinch game and knees and will add that to my stand up game. I plan to be a one trick pony of proficient kickboxing stand up but will forever go into the depths of my tkd journey forever.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You misunderstand me. By ā€œone-trick-ponyā€ I mean that martial arts are all that you have in your life, and all that you can and do talk about.

Life should have more to it than just martial arts. Make sure to leave time to have a rich and varied life, with many interests. Not just martial arts.

OP
Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
You misunderstand me. By ā€œone-trick-ponyā€ I mean that martial arts are all that you have in your life, and all that you can and do talk about.

Life should have more to it than just martial arts. Make sure to leave time to have a rich and varied life, with many interests. Not just martial arts.
Ah I see what youā€™re saying. Itā€™s hard though when martial arts are addicting. But yes I do plan on having a balanced life.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think what I might do is join my tkd school itā€™s called Master Lees tkd academy ran by a Korean 6th dan. Then I could train at Freddie Pooles just for the muy Thai program. Both schools donā€™t over lap each other or my work schedule and both schools are within ten miles from me and my work. I feel I could blend both arts together beautifully training them together. Iā€™m a good athlete and very coachable. I have done Amatuer boxing and Amatuer mma but my true passion is kickboxing.
I saw that one of the Poole instructors was TKD. Maybe he could help you blend it with kickboxing along with their other amalgam's? Sounds like you will do well with what ever style you start in. Just start. The rest will work out.

OP
Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
I saw that one of the Poole instructors was TKD. Maybe he could help you blend it with kickboxing along with their other amalgam's? Sounds like you will do well with what ever style you start in. Just start. The rest will work out.
I think he could possibly but Iā€™m looking for the full tkd curriculum. Then Iā€™ll blend it with boxing and or Muay Thai. But I wanna really focus on tkd and reach first dan before I get serious with cross training. I think itā€™s important for me to focus on tkd right now since I have a lot of boxing experience. Once I have a good understanding of tkd Iā€™ll start cross training. But I will always keep practicing and shadow boxing and keep practicing my boxing mechanics I learned over the years.

Latest Discussions