I got creative with smoke :-)

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ive always wanted to try smoke photography so I gave it a go tonight! Here are just a couple shots that came out!

4781452637_e9607ac300_b.jpg

4782089472_19469ff8ef_o.jpg

4782089352_7363c7279d_b.jpg

4781475309_dabf7555c9_b.jpg

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's always fascinating that with smoke you will NEVER re-create the same shot twice... and you cannot predict what will happen. The slightest air movement changes the dynamics.

Try this... in a darkened room point a lazer pointer straight up over the smoke and watch the effect... with the smoke under the pointer (the smaller the better-- i.e. a keychain type) and letting the smoke build up around the beam... experiment and I think you'll see what I mean.
I use those cone type incense burners.

:D

OP
ShelleyK

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It's always fascinating that with smoke you will NEVER re-create the same shot twice... and you cannot predict what will happen. The slightest air movement changes the dynamics.

Try this... in a darkened room point a lazer pointer straight up over the smoke and watch the effect... with the smoke under the pointer (the smaller the better-- i.e. a keychain type) and letting the smoke build up around the beam... experiment and I think you'll see what I mean.
I use those cone type incense burners.

:D

Darn it...Now I gotta do this tonight! LOL

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool indeed - capturing the mathematics of chaos in a most beautiful way.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
oh wow, I thought you were using lights or gelled flashes - I wonder what kind of an effect that would have...

OP
ShelleyK

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well if I used gels then it would definitely create a monotone color and make it more difficult to have a variety of colors to create on the smoke, if I used more than one light then it would kind of blow out the photo...there should only be one light source being used to create the hard edge lighting on the smoke....you should give this a try!!!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Love it!!! Great job!!

Looking forward to trying that myself once I have all my worldly belongings under one roof instead of two roofs, a garage, and a storage space...LOL :D

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Darn it...Now I gotta do this tonight! LOL
Lemme know how you like it. And post the results. :uhyeah:
Another way to do it is to cut the bottom out of a 2 or (better) 3 liter soda bottle (buy 'em cheep if you don't want to drink that much and you can dump the rest) and hold that over the smoke/laser and it'll trap the smoke better...
just bouncing an idea.

OP
ShelleyK

ShelleyK

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I havent had the chance yet to do this :( Been kind of busy trying to get wedding photos processed :( I WILL do this though LOL!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I havent had the chance yet to do this :( Been kind of busy trying to get wedding photos processed :( I WILL do this though LOL!
Heh... take yer time dearie. A rushed shot is a ruined shot.

but of course... you knew that. :uhyeah:

Latest Discussions