I finally found a teacher

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
My wife had went on a weeks vacation with her sisters. I did not want to make breakfast for one person, so I went to Whataburger for breakfast. A man was sitting by himself. I knowdes his hat. It had the name of a tin can I had spent 10 days temporarily duty on. So I started a conversation with him. After awhile we talked about Martial Arts. His 30 years of navy service had been mostly in the pacific and he had study martial arts for 30 years. He is teaching me Martial Arts in the morning and I am teaching him tennis in the afternoon.
We are both retired and we both have started to lose weight.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
What martial art?
Karate and Judo would properly be the best answer to your question.
He also teaches what he has learn from other MA.
The katas he is teaching me now are karate forms.
He was station in Japan the longest, but he has learn different arts depending on where he was station.

Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays he teaches striking arts.
Tuesday and Thursday throwing arts.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My wife had went on a weeks vacation with her sisters. I did not want to make breakfast for one person, so I went to Whataburger for breakfast. A man was sitting by himself. I knowdes his hat. It had the name of a tin can I had spent 10 days temporarily duty on. So I started a conversation with him. After awhile we talked about Martial Arts. His 30 years of navy service had been mostly in the pacific and he had study martial arts for 30 years. He is teaching me Martial Arts in the morning and I am teaching him tennis in the afternoon.
Awesome. I like when things like that happen, at the right time. You probably couldn't have planned that if you tried.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fantastic. There is depth in that relationship beyond MA's. That is something hard to find. I know you will enjoy the ride.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's awesome story you meet a guy at whataburger and you became friend he teaches you karate judo then you teach him tennis awesome

I started shotokan when i was at Bakersfield ca because i saw this 2 guys at the gym wearing shotokan t shirt not gi so i approached them to and they talk about shotokan thats when i got hook my nephew joined 1st then i joined to small world my nephews instructor was them two i was amaze

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score

To much of a good thing.
After 8 months of intense training my instructor and I are going to take a break.
I twisted my knee and was not going to be able to train any way.
I have found that a 64 year old body can not train like a 20 year old.
The longer we train the more minor injures would accure, this was frustating to me.
The injures accure mostly from judo. My joints can not handle that kind of abuse.
After I hurt my knee and decide to take a break, I realised I did not have the same fire to
learn I had 8 months ago.
I realised the house, my motorcycle, the cars all needed alot of work.
I had not rode my motorcycle in months.
I had not been to the rock gym in almost a year.
I had not been to Enchant Rock , my favorite place to rock climb in almost a year.
My many computers had not been worked on and all the software need updating.
I had done no planning for my varies trips.
For example: I need to do trip from Houston to Wisconsin to see the grand kids.
I am going by motorcycle, cheaper and more fun than a car.

My teacher is really into fish and had not been doing much fishing.
He had not been in his boat in months.

We decide to take a break until we had the fire back and this time we would only work out twice a week.
One karate day and one judo day. Also if I am injured we would not train till I was fully recovered.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To much of a good thing.
After 8 months of intense training my instructor and I are going to take a break.
I twisted my knee and was not going to be able to train any way.
I have found that a 64 year old body can not train like a 20 year old.
The longer we train the more minor injures would accure, this was frustating to me.
The injures accure mostly from judo. My joints can not handle that kind of abuse.
After I hurt my knee and decide to take a break, I realised I did not have the same fire to
learn I had 8 months ago.
I realised the house, my motorcycle, the cars all needed alot of work.
I had not rode my motorcycle in months.
I had not been to the rock gym in almost a year.
I had not been to Enchant Rock , my favorite place to rock climb in almost a year.
My many computers had not been worked on and all the software need updating.
I had done no planning for my varies trips.
For example: I need to do trip from Houston to Wisconsin to see the grand kids.
I am going by motorcycle, cheaper and more fun than a car.

My teacher is really into fish and had not been doing much fishing.
He had not been in his boat in months.

We decide to take a break until we had the fire back and this time we would only work out twice a week.
One karate day and one judo day. Also if I am injured we would not train till I was fully recovered.

Good to hear form you Bruce. I guess that is in the Too much of a good thing category.

What kind of scooter do you ride? I have really had the itch lately. Have not had one in about 10 years.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good to hear form you Bruce. I guess that is in the Too much of a good thing category.

What kind of scooter do you ride? I have really had the itch lately. Have not had one in about 10 years.

Suzuki 650 V-strom adventure bike. BMW makes a better adventure bike, but it is twice the price and the v-strom gets the job done. I like adventure bikes because they are great on the street and depending on your tires pretty good in the dirt. If you live in a city and want to ride in the dirt you have two choices. Buy a dirt bike and trailer or
buy an adventure bike. Dirt bikes are better because they are so much light and have the right tires. My subdivsion does not allow trailers so the decision for me was easy.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
ee
Suzuki 650 V-strom adventure bike. BMW makes a better adventure bike, but it is twice the price and the v-strom gets the job done. I like adventure bikes because they are great on the street and depending on your tires pretty good in the dirt. If you live in a city and want to ride in the dirt you have two choices. Buy a dirt bike and trailer or
buy an adventure bike. Dirt bikes are better because they are so much light and have the right tires. My subdivsion does not allow trailers so the decision for me was easy.
Where is your school? I might come by to say hi, if you are not to far off.
This summer plan on a trip to Colorado to see my son.
I also plan to go to Wisconsin to see my daughter and the grandchildren.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ee
Where is your school? I might come by to say hi, if you are not to far off.
This summer plan on a trip to Colorado to see my son.
I also plan to go to Wisconsin to see my daughter and the grandchildren.
Not sure if this is directed at me. We are in middle TN so it sounds like you are heading another direction.

Latest Discussions