I Don't Buy It About Having Reached My Potential

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm drunk. I have reached my potential in number of beers.

Yes.jpeg

Right there with you, my brother!

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
@PhotonGuy where is this comment coming from? Did someone actually tell you this?
Well it was sometime back when Chris Parker mentioned the possibility about me having met my potential although he wasn't talking about me specifically he was talking about me generically. It was a discussion about rank advancement and the possibility of not being able to advance any further because I would never develop the skill to advance further. Rank is of course based on skill (at least it is if you aren't going to a McDojo) and he mentioned the possibility of me not able to ever develop skill to advance any further. As I said he was not talking about me specifically he was talking in general about a person reaching their full potential and not being able to ever develop enough skill to go any further. As I said I don't accept any idea of not being able to progress any further.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Too much alcohol isn't good for you.
Define "too much."
Well it was sometime back when Chris Parker mentioned the possibility about me having met my potential although he wasn't talking about me specifically he was talking about me generically. It was a discussion about rank advancement and the possibility of not being able to advance any further because I would never develop the skill to advance further. Rank is of course based on skill (at least it is if you aren't going to a McDojo) and he mentioned the possibility of me not able to ever develop skill to advance any further. As I said he was not talking about me specifically he was talking in general about a person reaching their full potential and not being able to ever develop enough skill to go any further. As I said I don't accept any idea of not being able to progress any further.
This is a fair point, though. We're running up against individual potential vs objective potential here. Which has more value? I'd argue that objective potential is only important if your livelihood depends on it. Otherwise, it's meaningless, or at least far less important than your individual potential measured by growth. For example, if you are learning to play tennis. Are you going to be a professional tennis player? If no, you may measure potential based on your goals: health, fitness level, having fun with friends, scratching that competitive itch, and generally enjoying the satisfaction of developing new skills and seeing steady improvement. How good can you eventually be? Hard to say... not as good as Roger Federer, but maybe better than your neighbor, Roger Sorenson, who started playing the same time as you.

If yes, how good you are and how good you CAN be are very important, and will have a direct impact on your ability to earn a living. The better you are, objectively, the more money you can earn.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a very different statement than your first one. This is stating that it's possible anyone has reached their potential-basically stating that there is such a thing as your potential. A point that's your (general you) limit. I don't know where my limit is, as I haven't reached it yet, but I'm sure it's somewhere before mike tyson's level.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This is a very different statement than your first one. This is stating that it's possible anyone has reached their potential-basically stating that there is such a thing as your potential. A point that's your (general you) limit. I don't know where my limit is, as I haven't reached it yet, but I'm sure it's somewhere before mike tyson's level.
I don't know. I saw Mike Tyson on "To Tell the Truth." Potential at boxing or potential at life?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Comes with age...then all you have to do is sit back, relax, and rest on your laurels :D

I consider myself expert at relaxing, raised it to an art form.

But I don't believe in resting on laurels. Smoking them, maybe, sure. :)