I am physically unable to relax my upper body during kata. Should I give up Karate altogether?

Hanshi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've always been among the worst trying to memorize kata sequences. It takes me much longer to learn a kata than many of my students. And I forget them much too easily. I have friends who seem to never forget any kata they learn. Once I get a kata down, though, I've always done it very well. But if I'm away for a few months they grow fuzzy in my mind. Teachers often have the same problems, maybe even worse, that plague some students.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep I just reread those, very helpful for me! And well said.

I just wish the fellow would come back and let us know how he's going, hopefully he chimes in! If not, all these posts have been helpful for me anyway :)
The OP’s history shows that he never came back after the first day that he signed up and came on.

I confess, I believe I unintentionally chased him off. I have some videos on a YouTube channel that I cannot simply put up for general viewing, but I sometimes share them with people in the context of a private discussion. I sent him a PM and offered to send him a link to view the videos because I though he might find them helpful, but I needed his email address to send it to him. His response was “nice try.” And that was it. He hasn’t been back since.

I can only guess that he thought I was trying to pull some kind of scam with his email address. I was completely caught by surprise by his response. At any rate, I doubt he will be back.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
The OP’s history shows that he never came back after the first day that he signed up and came on.

I confess, I believe I unintentionally chased him off. I have some videos on a YouTube channel that I cannot simply put up for general viewing, but I sometimes share them with people in the context of a private discussion. I sent him a PM and offered to send him a link to view the videos because I though he might find them helpful, but I needed his email address to send it to him. His response was “nice try.” And that was it. He hasn’t been back since.

I can only guess that he thought I was trying to pull some kind of scam with his email address. I was completely caught by surprise by his response. At any rate, I doubt he will be back.
Ah that's a real shame... considering how helpful you were in this thread it's clear you weren't being dodgy, and rather nice of you to offer that to him. Considering how desperate he was I thought he'd jump at the chance. Yeah, hope he comes back anyway

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah that's a real shame... considering how helpful you were in this thread it's clear you weren't being dodgy, and rather nice of you to offer that to him. Considering how desperate he was I thought he'd jump at the chance. Yeah, hope he comes back anyway
When I realized that he might be thinking I was trying to scam him I backed away from the offer and told him of course it is his decision, no worries if he isn’t interested. I also told him that I’ve shared the videos with a couple other members here, and offered to identify them and he could contact them and verify. No response. Really took me by surprise.

Graywalker

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Relax your shoulders, 1st move, relax the shoulders, 2nd move relax the shoulders..3rd yup, relax the shoulders.

Think on every move, 'relax the shoulders'