I almost broke my nose and it was hilarious.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I was working on this take down and basically did it wrong, I grabbed the guy by the waist and tried to rotate my hips and pull him over me leg, but his back was facing me so I ended up bringing his elbow into my face.

We laughed for like 5 minutes then tried it again and I got it right. Has anyone else hurt themselves attempting martial arts? Let's hear some funny stuff.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pulled a pretty serious groin doing a cart wheel. Told everyone i did it rolling.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I got spiked on the head many times in succession because we were drilling a takedown (I don't know what it's called, but it's when you shoot with an overhook on the back leg's side then you trip them to the side with sort of a pistol squat position while dragging the arm downward, you're supposed to finish it head-to-stomach). My partner threw me wrong many times and it hurt my neck once and my braces cut me plenty. Come to think of it, that may be the reason my neck hurts every time I pull my head back to this day.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd have to say that I've injured myself in training by doing klutzy stuff a lot more than I've been injured by others.(I don't think it's just me, I've observed the pattern in other people as well.) Can't think of any particularly funny examples offhand, though.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
After almost 50 years of training...yeah there have been a lot bruises and cuts, several dislocated or broken toes and fingers along with black eyes, pulled or strained muscles all mostly by foolishness or doing something incorrectly.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tonight warming up we did open hand sparring which is basically boxing bare knuckle but with open hands and very minimal power. I threw an uppercut motion with the palm up somehow the guy parried it and it did a full circle and came back at me and ended up poking me in the eye lol. So I eye gouged myself lol we just stopped and I said how the **** did that happen and we both laughed

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fell into a lamp post once, buy missteping a kerb admiring a certain female appendage. Left a zigzag scar on my forehead. The absolute worst of it was, I got called a dirty wotsit lol.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got spiked on the head many times in succession because we were drilling a takedown (I don't know what it's called, but it's when you shoot with an overhook on the back leg's side then you trip them to the side with sort of a pistol squat position while dragging the arm downward, you're supposed to finish it head-to-stomach). My partner threw me wrong many times and it hurt my neck once and my braces cut me plenty. Come to think of it, that may be the reason my neck hurts every time I pull my head back to this day.

Should get that checked out. Neck pain is not pleasant at the best of times. Kneck affects posture.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd have to say that I've injured myself in training by doing klutzy stuff a lot more than I've been injured by others.(I don't think it's just me, I've observed the pattern in other people as well.) Can't think of any particularly funny examples offhand, though.

Stepout on a jigsaw mat?

Many a bendy little toe from that one.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's see, there are a few "normal" stories of dislocated fingers and toes. My two most notable stories of foolishness and mayhem:

I somehow damaged my elbow while brushing my teeth - hit the soft tissue on a light switch next to my sink. Hurt like hell for weeks. I told people I'd taken a hard elbow lock in class.

Did something (still not sure what) about 15 years ago showing off falling/rolling skills to some of the young punks in the dojo (I was 30/31 at the time, and 10 years older than the aforementioned punks). I did a very long diving roll and essentially took about 50% of the landing force on the top of my left shoulder. It hurt for a few weeks. I didn't tell anyone about this one.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't quite break my nose, but I did manage to bloody it once while sparring and I got a bit too aggressive one day, feelng good witht he flexibility, and whipped up an axe kick fast and hard and dropped it on a guy's head, then shoulder and dropped him to a knee.

But, then he looked up at me and started lauging... which I thought odd.

Until he said "You better go get that plugged before you get blood on the mat!"

I had literally kneed myself in the nose and didn't feel it. Cool/uncool, I have no idea but I do have an opinion, Ha!

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Should get that checked out. Neck pain is not pleasant at the best of times. Kneck affects posture.
It only hurts when I pull it diagonally to the right, way back. My posture is fine (shoulders wide, no pelvic tilt or turtle neck) and my neck hurts slightly less by the day.

Ademadis

Green Belt
Reaction score
If we're doing general injury stories I've got loads xD

I fractured my shin as a kid roller skating. It was only a hairline fracture so the doctor didn't spot it.
Still proud that I was hard enough to skate on a broken skin for several successive weeks before I figured out something was wrong ;)

There was also a time when I broke my arm playing foodball and the teacher of my next class refused to believe my arm was broken and wouldn't let me go ~.~

UqaabKamikaze

Orange Belt
Reaction score
While trying to do middle split, had a sharp pain in the inner thigh for longtime, told therapist it was from sliping in football. It is 10 year old i guess.

I would rather feel pain than nothing at all.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I may have shared this story before, but when I was 16 or so, I was sparring with an instructor (who was at least 60 pounds heavier than me), and we ended up in a clinch. We were near a wall, and I untangled and jumped back to make space at the same time he pushed me away to make his own space. Ended up just flying straight into the wall.

For anyone who says weight doesn't matter...

Latest Discussions