Hypothetical Island

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A bare majority would signal a need for more discussion, I think. Unanimity is too much to hope for, but a vote of 11-10 in favor of death sows the seeds for future dissension in the group.

Is there a precedent? I really wonder what would happen if the day after the execution there cam an unexpected rescue. Might they be prosecuted? This would have to occur on an island owned by some nation, after all...what does the Kiribati govt. think of a group taking such matters into its own hands in their jurisdiction? I still think the group must do what must be done ("necessity defense"), but I do wonder what the criminal and civil outcomes would be.

I am indifferent about applying "the custom of the sea" in this regard...it has an obvious utility argument, but personally, I might order the fish instead.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Is there a precedent? I really wonder what would happen if the day after the execution there cam an unexpected rescue. Might they be prosecuted? This would have to occur on an island owned by some nation, after all...what does the Kiribati govt. think of a group taking such matters into its own hands in their jurisdiction?

I think this scenario has been set up so as to make us think and debate rather than be able to fall back behind the sheild of following the law. If there is no goverment and no rules that we will be held to, what would we do in this situation and how would we justify it.

Hence my tossing out that comment earlier about how we should not assume we have to justify killing him. I kind of want to get to the bare bones of the matter. If killing him is not justified, I want to the reasons laid out and shown. The same goes for thinking killing is justified. No hiding behind the law or anything else!!!! Let the debate go on!:boxing:

OP
sgtmac_46

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
I think this scenario has been set up so as to make us think and debate rather than be able to fall back behind the sheild of following the law. If there is no goverment and no rules that we will be held to, what would we do in this situation and how would we justify it.

Hence my tossing out that comment earlier about how we should not assume we have to justify killing him. I kind of want to get to the bare bones of the matter. If killing him is not justified, I want to the reasons laid out and shown. The same goes for thinking killing is justified. No hiding behind the law or anything else!!!! Let the debate go on!:boxing:
No, that is correct. This hypothetical island, being a construct, exists devoid of any outside force beyond the natural. There is no 'rescuer' or any outside law, other than created on this island. No one is going to show up one day and judge this society. This society judges itself.

Latest Discussions