How's Atlanta these days???

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've had enough. I can't take it anymore in California. I'm leaving. Only problem now is where to?

Atlanta catches my fancy...anyone that lives or has lived there care to share an opinion with me?

What about California is making you want to leave?

I've never been to Atlanta but the people I know who've lived there don't miss it. I'm originally from Seattle and would love to get back there. Have you considered the Pacific Northwest?

I've got relatives in the Atlanta area. Traffic's crazy, house prices are above average, and the job markets reportedly flat.

Move to Hawaii!

Nahhhh, to sunny!
icon6.gif

There's always Detroit! A great place to put your martial arts skills to the test!

I have always enjoyed being in Atlanta. However, it has always been vacationing which is different than living there.

Personally I love Michigan and my second favorite place is Chicago. Yes Chicago is that nice in that it can compete with the great northern state of Michigan!
icon6.gif

There's always Detroit! A great place to put your martial arts skills to the test!

Hey you know I actually lived in Detroit down on the river and it believe it or not is a great town.
icon6.gif
Of course you need to know what you are doing! (that rules out way to many people)

If I were re-locating, I would consider Charleston, SC myself. It's pretty, easy shopping, and the cost of living in the general area is low.
On the other hand, the job market is bad everywhere and you make less in the south, which counterbalances the low cost of living.
Can you just up and randomly move somewhere? What field of work would you look for. That may influence where you want to go.
BTW, avoid Atlanta.

AoG

Hot & muggy.....
Horrible....terrible....insane traffic....
Unemployment.......
Horrible job market.....
Crime....
Great night life.....
Shall I continue?

Check this out. It may help you a little. I like my little town just south of Roanoke, Va. The job market isn't the best anymore unless you're in health care. That's booming here as of late.

What about California is making you want to leave?

I've never been to Atlanta but the people I know who've lived there don't miss it. I'm originally from Seattle and would love to get back there. Have you considered the Pacific Northwest?

Lived in Medford OR., and Grants Pass, OR. as well. WILL NOT go back.

Did you read my post? I'm moving from CALIFORNIA. Housing prices being "above average" will not phase me.

Yes just about any place will be cheap.

Quite a bit of my family reside in Las Vegas and love it. If you cannot brave the wild great white north of Michigan then Vegas or Arizona might be right for you.
icon14.gif

Sorry guys, maybe I should have been more specific...

Work is not a problem, I am a Spanish Interpreter/Translator, and I have some connections with the Atlanta court interpreters program. My certification from cali is valid in GA, and there is work available. My wife is in healthcare so she can work about anywhere.

The reason I ask about Atlanta is that I have family that lives about 3 hrs. from there. I would move closer to them but they live in the sticks and I can't do that, I need to be in a city or suburbs of a city. I don't just want to move anywhere, I want to have some family ties close. I don't know anybody anywhere else. (except OR., see above post)

The reason I want to leave Ca. is that I cannot handle the social/political climate here anymore. It's crazy. Those of you that have seen my posts in the firearms section know that I am an avid shooter, and that just doesn't go in Ca. I know that some of you on this forum are probably plenty liberal but I am a hopeless conservative, and I'm sick of people trying to force their viewpoints on me, and especially on my children. Gas is far more expensive here than most other places and the housing is just plain outrageous. Not to mention the 200 dollar a month electric bills I pay. Oh, and by the way, the laws here DO NOT support the self defense minded individual. Should I go on?

In that case, look at Texas, esp. the Dallas/Ft Worth, San Antonio or Austin areas. More so San Antonio as Austin seems rather liberal. Texas is a Castle Doctrine state, and looks to be gun owner friendly. Bordering Mexico, there's lots of Spanish there too.

Plus, you'll love I35.....it'll make you feel at home. LOL! :)

As to Atlanta, the traffics on par with rush hour in LA from what I heard. That was what killed it for me. 3 hrs to go 20 miles isn't my style.

I like in Northwest Arkansas. Guns laws are laxed,but a federal around next January will likely change things for law abiding citizens.

The Hispanic population here has increased more than anywhere else in the U.S., so, plenty of work. Housing market is cool and the job market is ever growing. I like red states!

Hey, I love Atlanta! Crime can be a problem, but that depends on where you live, just stay out of the rough areas. I have never been there in a working capacity, but the night life is very fun!

Back