How tough was your black belt test

S

sparky

I have heard of a school were kids have been knocked out or had their noses bloodied during their Jr. Black test. The basic rule is your test isn't over until you cry. Any thoughts....

Mike

OP
I

islandtime

Originally posted by sparky

I have heard of a school were kids have been knocked out or had their noses bloodied during their Jr. Black test. The basic rule is your test isn't over until you cry. Any thoughts....

Mike
.....................................................................................
I started getting worried when they started watering down the floor right before my multiples.

The truth be told my sparring got out of control....ya think??

Gene Gabel:asian:

OP
D

DJDragon

I used to have a friend that did Muay Thai. He said to pass some test to get thier coloured singlet, they had to do a flying kick through a wooden window.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow, not getting your black belt until you cry or get hurt. Pretty f*&ckin childish to me.
My exam was pretty gruleing. i'd say about 110 waza. No Kata. The end was a spontanious self defence, singles and multiples. But it never got to the point where I would be crying.
I just don't see the point.
It doesn't take a beating to make someone cry, just look at my alimony payments. That'll destroy your life:eek:

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If a BB tests have to make you cry before you pass, it sounds like a McDojang to me. It should be hard work, but not to the point of beating someone till they cry. That's down right wrong.

I'm not no where near BB, yet, but I watched friends test for BB. In my TSD school, it was pretty grueling. They had to pass the endurance test first. Which is push-ups, sit-ups, jumping jacks, every kick there is, and running. Do as many as you can of this stuff each. The more you did, the better the grade. Then there was the tech stuff. You have to do all the forms, all the one-steps, all self defense that you've learned to that point, sponanious self defense, breaking, and spar (usually 2 on 1).

In my TKD school (form what I saw so far), you have to run ..... I think you have to run a mile three times a week or something. I'm not sure on that. You have to do community service, and help teach so many classes BEFORE the actual test. The test is basically everything you know. Forms, self defense, step sparring, breaking, spontanious self defense, and spar 2 on 1.

OP
K

KoshoBob

We had an endurance test the week before. Basically a kicked up version of a kickboxing class, then most of our kicks up and down the dojo, then off to a big hill so we could run up and down ten times.

The test was kata, sparring and breaking. It lasted about an hour.

OP
T

theneuhauser

the test at my previous school was pretty basic, the instructor watches you and tells you what to do, running through a wide variety of skills and situation stuff, at the end of about 100 minutes, it was very exhausting.

but i must give a shout to the sister school, which was a sort of southern dragon style-the test was pretty simple, take the sash off the waist of the top student-full contact, no protection.

OP
D

Danny

My first Dan test wasn't to bad. 3 patterns, step sparring, 1 knowledge question, breaking. Then sparring which was one round with my instructor, then one with the examinor was the hard part. Second round I got winded twice. Had to spar flat out for about a minute with no air. Collaped when I was done. My mouth was drier then it has even been. Three of us tested took about 3 hours.

Second Dan I had to get 8 out of 16 on a fitness test on running 1.5 miles, push-ups, sit-ups, then edurance on a shield. To put that in perspective to get a 16 I'd have to do the run in 8:30, then to 50 push-ups, then do 88 sit-ups in 2 min., then either pass out, or puke on the shield.

Next day came a 30 page written knowledge test. All 12 patterns I now. All the self defense I learned as a 1st Dan. Then a beating jokingly called a sparring match with my friend whom also happens to be the ITF Jr. Hyper weight Candian sparring champion. (It's 3 rounds with a better fighter for 1st Dan.)

Then breaking. Power, and speacialty.

Rule of thumb is whatever you do don't fail. Because it's something you would never ever want to do again.

OP
A

asoka

Originally posted by DJDragon

I used to have a friend that did Muay Thai. He said to pass some test to get thier coloured singlet, they had to do a flying kick through a wooden window.

That's B.S,I'm a Muay Thai fighter and I've never seen or heard of any MuayThai person that had to a flying kick through a window.Infact we don't do those types of kicks in MuayThai.

OP
A

asoka

Originally posted by asoka

That's B.S,I'm a Muay Thai fighter and I've never had to, seen or heard of any MuayThai person that had to a flying kick through a window for a test.Infact we don't do those types of kicks in MuayThai.

We do front kicks,back kicks,side kicks,round house kicks using shins,knees,jumping knee kicks,but no fly kicks.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

A Black belt test should not be designed to break you. It should lift you up to a new level. My first degree balck belt test was 6 hours long. 270 self defense techniques, 14 katas, sparring, a thesis. My instructor taped the entire thing, I still have the tape to help keep me motivated when training gets a little stale or tough.

OP
D

Danny

It shouldn't break you, but it should ask the questions "How much do I want to be a Black Belt?" and "On the street when I'm tired, and hurt am I going to suck it up and fight, or curl up and die?"

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Rob_Broad

A Black belt test should not be designed to break you. It should lift you up to a new level. My first degree balck belt test was 6 hours long. 270 self defense techniques, 14 katas, sparring, a thesis. My instructor taped the entire thing, I still have the tape to help keep me motivated when training gets a little stale or tough.

How many people kicked you, Rob?

OP
A

asoka

In order for us to be able to test for black belt we first had to write a report on karate.We also had to hand in papers explaining what we feel we've learnt from doing karate,and what karate means to us,which I obviously managed to do since I tested for black belt.

We did the exercises and push ups and all the basic punches,kicks,blocks in all stances.I then had to go through every single kata I ever learnt at the school,then break at least 3 boards.After that I had to sparr for about 5-10 mins,then finally we had to use a steel bo for 3 weapon katas,which we weren't used to,since we usually used a wooden one like most schools.After sparring and doing katas a steel bo doesn't exactly feel light.

We were tested on technique,co-ordination,balance,stamina,and asked questions of history of karate do at the ending of test.

In Pankration unlike karate or at least school I trained in before,we have to sparr in every test.

Testing for Pankration is as follows:

Skipping 3 rounds of 3-4 mins,sit ups and as many push ups as we can do in just a little under a minute.squats,and what we call monkey drill(exercise where someone jumps over another student,crawls between partners legs and comes out and jumps again(3 rounds of 10 each side).Then for warm up we do some shield kicking and punching focus mitts ,following different combinations that instructor calls out and counts to 10 then back down to 1 or some times he gets us to just punch according to number he tell us to.

Must know all basic boxing punches plus kicks,such as round house(which do with shins,since we do MuayThai),lead and back front kick,side kicks,knee kicks.and jabs,cross punch,hooks,moving side to side to avoid getting hit,blocking punches,ducking from hooks,blocking hooks,upper cuts and blocking upper cuts,and blocking all kicks as well ,just to name a few,plus more.

On top of that we are tested on all basic grappling techniques (arm bars,different types of chokes,neck cranks,knee locks,wrist and elbow locks,ankle locks,reversals etc.)from different positions such as side body,reverse side body,mount,and guard,as well being on top of ones back and getting out of different positions put in so we can get back on our feet.

We have to show that we are able to apply all techniques we've learnt,both stand up and then grappling.

After that we must sparr mixing our stand up with the grappling(wearing grappling gloves),so fighting from stand up and eventually taking opponent to the ground and then apply a submission or choke.

This is what most schools do not test one's ability on,which I believe is wrong.Martial Arts should be tested on more then just doing katas,infact it should be all tested on ablity to defend yourself when put in all kinds of positions,whether it be standing up or on your back.

We are tested on techniques like any martial arts school is,but we're also tested on speed and power in our punches,kicks and use of elbows as weapons.

Incase anyone is wondering,ya we wear boxing gloves for the MuayThai part but when mixing it with grappling which makes it Pankration,we don't,instead we wear grappling gloves.

All our tests last a good 4-6hrs depending on rank testing for.

OP
A

asoka

Originally posted by sparky

Mike

To me that is plain stupid a person shouldn't be having a bloddied nose or be knocked out in a test,maybe in a tournament but not in a test.I can understand if it is an accident, but for that to happen because a sensei expects it before your test is over is wrong.

My only conclusion is the sensei of this school has no respect for his students,if that is what he expects.

Besides all of this I don't believe in kids testing for black belts.Maybe others do,but I don't.Black belts should only be for adults that are really prepared to test.

OP
G

GouRonin

Having come from boxing I was a little afraid of a black belt test. After all, I had heard that Karate dudes were tough as nails. They had all these secret moves and stuff. All us boxers had was footwork, a few punches, some cheats that the old guys taught us, and a lot of conditioning.

My black belt test was very hard. First I had to remember how to spell my name on the cheque and then I had to send the video of me off and actually wait for the certificate to come back in the mail.

Heh heh heh... more karate guys are pussies who do all this crap to themselves in these black belts tests that make no sense. When are they going to be pushed into doing techs and kata for hours? At least in boxing we prepped for actual use.

OP
T

theneuhauser

gou is that really you-what the hell are you talking about?

maybe somebody hopped on your computer and started typing
or its the evil angry gou.

Heh heh heh... more karate guys are pussies who do all this crap to themselves in these black belts tests that make no sense.

OP
D

Danny

I don't think it's that big of deal. We have people pass out, cry, bleed, puke, etc. on our Dan tests all the time. In class bleeding is quite common. (Mostly because of a few people we have that get a nose bleed if you look at them the wrong way.) And we've practiced knocking each other out a few times during Black Belt class. (Not with blunt trauma to the head if that's what your thinking.)

As long as there is no serious injury I think it's good practice for the street so you know how to take a hit and keep on going.

OP
T

tigerstorm

I find it hard to believe, (and sad) that people have a standardized test for black rank. My mind automatically thinks that if 20 of these black belts walked down the street they would all step in the same footprints too. I dont see how you can test everyone the same, simple thoughts of an Instructor should be to know their students. My guess would be that different students should be expected to do more of certain things. I dont know about anyone else but at 60 if a guys been studying long enough to be tested for black rank, and he can live up to the rank, Im not going to tell him he failed because he couldnt do a split. Now I dont mean to cause more trouble but I also think that a person being tested for black rank shoudl be pushed alittle. I seem to read all these stories of how hard things are and that your from the "old school", but a one hour black belt test is a joke, period. If you can show everything youve learned in an hour you should be testing for a white belt.
Tigerstorm

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by Kirk

How many people kicked you, Rob?

Being my instructor's first student to make Black Belt, he was the only one who officially kicked me, but many instructors who had helped me get there gave me a kick when they saw me with my new belt.