How to increase Power in your Punches

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What exercises or drills do you do to increase power in your Punches?

Do you use weights or heavy objects to aid in this endeavor?

paulus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not sure whether this comes under exercises for punching power, but we do a killer exercise to strengthen the tendons in the fist. Have one arm outstretched in front of you, fist clenched tight, then stretch the fingers out as far as they will go as fast as you can. Then clench the fist again and repeat over and over as fast as you can. You can really feel it in the forearm too.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have done that exercise that Paulus speaks of and it really does kill your forearms . My Sifu told me once that everytime you practice the SLT form you are also training your one inch punch . Here are some things i do apart from practicing the forms (incidentally i noticed an increase in punching power after learning Bil Gee) .

I get in front of the wall bag and do very close range punches only an inch or two from the bag just using arm only concentrating on stance , relaxation and acelleration then when i am satisfied with that i start to add what we used to call a half - hip projection (just a subtle movement of the hip on the side your punching ) .

I also do very close range chain punching approx two fist distance from my chest to the bag again concentrating on relaxation and accelleration , my theory being that if i can get accustomed to generating power in that small a space then any larger space i have to strike in is a luxury .

Its all well and good to have power in a static position , but its about as useful as a cannon that can't be turned or moved to aim at the enemy .
You have to be able to pivot with your strike and be able to synchronize your step with your strike so all your body mass goes into the strike .

For this I start off in front of my heavy bag one step away from it with my arm locked out so i can't generate any force from the elbow then i start stepping into the bag , only using my stance to move the bag , the arm is only held out to transmit the force from the stance into and through the bag .

Gradually i step into the bag faster and faster really accellerating my mass into the bag , when I am satisfied with that only then will i start to add proper punching , focusing on elbow force and the correct timing of the step and punch .

I know when i am getting it right because it feels effortless , if i get the timing wrong it feels like i am using muscle .
Anyway this is just some stuff i do and it does seem to work for me .

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Excellent Responses Mook Jong Man & Paulus very interesting but simple!!!

I wounder what Mike Tyson does to develop his knock out power?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Please explain? How did he acheive good bio mechanics and how did he build himself up like a brickhouse?

Well for a start he probably had a very good trainer that showed him how to do boxing punches with good technique , he probably has natural talent and he would have built his physique up with weight training or bodyweight exercises and conditioning .

But their way of generating power in boxing is different to Wing Chun , they use upper body torque to generate power , we also pivot ,but we pivot the whole body at the waist to generate power and we also punch with vertical fist and elbow down and aiming at the centerline .

This lines up our body mass behind the punch and makes for a stronger structure as long as stance is solid , and the movement is co-ordinated and you can move all your mass into the target at high speed you will have a powerful strike

Force = Mass x Accelleration , of course this takes many years of training also at the higher levels there is the use of internal energy which a lot of people don't believe in but I do .

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why do so many people hate to discuss Internal Energy or Chi. Alot of Wing Chun practioners feel its useless?

Why is that?

But I have found Wing Chun Punches with body structure is very similiar to boxing accept for sun fist!

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

It is important to note that in boxing, the focus is offense and defense comes mainly from evasive footwork and body movements.

Wing Chun focuses on stable structure and NOT committing fully to every strike as to maintain stability and control posture.

So power is generated in different ways and TRANSFERRED differently too.

So in Wing Chun, energy transfer is very important. This is what is meant by good biomechanics. Also, being a good athlete helps.

Yet in Wing Chun, the idea is to beat athleticism with skill. So the skill serves as an equalizer against physically "superior" foes.

Unfortunately, good biomechanics can be taught only by qualified teachers that know about it. There are not that many, unfortunately.

Also, it takes a dedicated student to learn these things. Again, not as common.

Normally, Wing Chun power is felt when you see a practitioner move effortlessly and you feel an unexpected explosion that trembles you whole body no matter where you are hit...

Much fun!

Hope that helps.

Juan M. Mercado

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting topic. I believe that Chi is important. My Sensei also thinks that the draw back after the punch is very important as well. I agree, but aside from getting one's self off balance, I have trouble relating it to adding power to the punch. Perhaps this might be a good discussion point.

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
sifu always says the punch is measured by how fast it gets there, not how fast it comes back... with exception of backfist strikes.
#
so anything that can speed up your strike will make it more powerful.

i also think its the mind body connection so the power comes from the floor right thru the body using every available bit of enegry channelled thru your fist ,.... with speed

matsu

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I totally Agree your so Right Matsu!!! Through the floor and through your body out your face in to other poor guys face. Thats where the power goes. Smash He is hit down he goes!!! lol...

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Relaxation, flexing the spine, foreward thought force/chi, and of course, speed never hurt. Yet, you get more speed the more relaxed you are.
Punch through and past the target everytime.

Muscles hinder more than help. I've seen that one. End up not useing these concepts at all when one has alot of strength, because their so used to having the strength of muscle to strike.
I NEVER had any power in punching until I learned
Wing Chun. I used to depend largely on my kicking ability to strike effectively.

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Practicing Wing Chun Punches actually increase my Strenght in punching externally too.

Latest Discussions