How to Have Fast Kicks?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To increase fast twitch muscle fibers you either need to do fast explosive movements with light weight or heavier weighted slow movements.

Doing slow movement with less weight and more reps develops slow twitch muscle.
It does teach you the technique though. When you're kicking slowly, proper technique and balance are much more important, so when you kick more quickly, it's a better overall kick. No clue about the fast twitch slow twitch stuff, it all goes over my head.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
To increase fast twitch muscle fibers you either need to do fast explosive movements with light weight or heavier weighted slow movements.

Doing slow movement with less weight and more reps develops slow twitch muscle.

Yeah i would have said plyometric and a high volume of training.

You also need cardio to be explosive.

Just basically kick so that you are rooted at the end of a three minute session.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ankle weight is a bad idea. You can injury your knee joint big time.

Not if you are using them to increase chambering speed.

My son uses ankle weights while just chambering into a side kick position or front kick position as fast as possible because the leg stays perpendicular with the ground it does not put pressure on the knee joint

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

My son uses ankle weights while just chambering into a side kick position or front kick position as fast as possible because the leg stays perpendicular with the ground it does not put pressure on the knee joint
But wouldn't that pull down on the knee joint though?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Slow speed and weigh may be OK. Fast speed and weight don't go together.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course you have to practice fast, but you need to start out learning by being slow, developing proper form and developing smoothness.

Then your technique will be truly fast, not just all jerky and tense.
I've used and taught this method for going on 38 years and it seems to work.

OP
DavyKOTWF

DavyKOTWF

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks all!
I'll practice slow to get proper technique and will practice with 2.5 lbs slowly to just raise my knee. So Yak Sao, that 2nd vid you showed above is what you mean by
chamber our kicks but just raise the knee? It's more of a step and kick? via 'step to kick and kick to step' ?
et al, so to raise the knee and chamber, while leaning body back for balance, then kick and retract, is only for a massive power kick to push?
But Yak Sao's fast, 'snap' kick is more for speed, surprise, efficiency, it seems. Which is the Wing Chun way.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The preying mantis master Brendan Lai told me the following method:

After shower, when your body is still wet, throw one front kick. you then check to see if your leg is completely dry.
Sounds like it could be slippy....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
1: REPETITION!
2: Explosive muscle training. Sprints and the like.
3: I would say no to leg weights, but kicking in water is good if done correctly. You can be ankle deep or waist deep, just focus on the initial explosion

Always practice technique

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would Suggest checking out Bill Wallace's kick training videos on YouTube. He's a world renowned Martial Artist/Kicker.

He also has a bachelor's degree in Phys Ed and a Master's degree in kinesiology.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He also has a bachelor's degree in Phys Ed and a Master's degree in kinesiology.
That's right, he's an educated man. Bill is very intelligent and approaches his conditioning scientifically.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

I use this exercise to develop rhythm and increase speed, especially for combination kicking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the cool thing is you could practice while walking down the street and people would be none the wiser.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The best exercise I’ve found to increase speed in kicking is sprinting. Short distance sprinting.

And obviously, at least I hope it’s obvious, being fit.

axelb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Increased hip flexor strength for chamber, quad strength for kick extension.

Plyometrics after enough strength is built up.

Flexibility, with increased range in ham strings and hip flexor, the kick can be executed with less resistance.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What's the best way to develop FAST front kicks? Just wear ankle weights?
Up to the other options surely valid, I have made it look fast being slow. As most of my training was under the rule 'do it slow', I was forced to hide kicks in footwork, fakes, feints and in combinations with hands. Pure speed was just not an option in regular training. Of course, if I can had speed to my other skills, it is a nightmare for the opponent (I said if I can; or you).