How to grip a jian

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks I'm an A hole. I was just trying to be part of the conversation. Sword can take 10 years of study to become any good even if you have a group of teachers showing you exactly how to use it and have all the martial ability in the world, and know all the cheat codes. Ask anyone that fences and they will say this. It is a study you will never complete. I'm sure everyone here has a lot of information and a lot of practice including you it's all different there outlooks are different than mine I have dropped my information and I will post a video later. I hope they will do the same. Weather or not it's great doesn't Matter. The reason I did this is because this is a community of martial artist and others who will see this might become interested. After 26 years you realize that life happens and what do I have to contribute? I'm sorry I offended you, you are validated. And yes it is not what someone should do classically but the veil has been lifted for open communication.
I'm gonna back up for a moment, 'cause yeah, I've been having a bit of fun with your posts.

But in all seriousness, I'm going to suggest you take a look at how you are posting here. You are coming in and dropping a lot of jargon without context, and doing it in kind of a flippant way, and that isn't going to gain you any admirers here because it comes across as either very arrogant, or a downright space cadet, and it's kind of like name dropping, it is annoying.

So, welcome to the forums, but maybe you should just try talking with people here like you are a real person. Like how you might talk with a neighbor.

I'm not quite sure how about else to explain it.

Reaction score
I'm gonna back up for a moment, 'cause yeah, I've been having a bit of fun with your posts.

But in all seriousness, I'm going to suggest you take a look at how you are posting here. You are coming in and dropping a lot of jargon without context, and doing it in kind of a flippant way, and that isn't going to gain you any admirers here because it comes across as either very arrogant, or a downright space cadet, and it's kind of like name dropping, it is annoying.

So, welcome to the forums, but maybe you should just try talking with people here like you are a real person. Like how you might talk with a neighbor.

I'm not quite sure how about else to explain it.
That's kinda what I thought I was doing. I am just really into martial arts, also, I also like to duck hunt and fly fish. Refinishing some classic herters foam decoys. And I have won some competitions for tying flies. I'm really not one dimensional.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's kinda what I thought I was doing. I am just really into martial arts, also, I also like to duck hunt and fly fish. Refinishing some classic herters foam decoys. And I have won some competitions for tying flies. I'm really not one dimensional.
That's all cool, and it's not about being one-dimensional. Heck, most of us here are here because we are passionate about our training and like to talk about it and mostly we are a friendly bunch but sometimes some of us butt heads a bit and that's fine, it's just life.

But just remember your context. If you want to get into the esoteric side of this stuff, make sure the context is appropriate and the participants are willing, or that you can open that part of the discussion in a way that people can connect with. Simply showing up in a thread and dropping the esoteric jargon without any prelude isn't the best way to do it.

So, it's all good, if you haven't yet done so maybe go to the meet and greet section and introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your background and experiences and stuff, you will get a warm welcome.

Reaction score
I did that a week ago, post in the welcome wagon. Sorry about the technical jargon and esoteric stuff it is tai chi or jian stuff after all. I realize that jian has more stuff out there than I can ever learn. Even tai chi does. Interpersonal relations well I will have to learn by default if you read my welcome post I have been offline since about 97. So don't really know the protocol or even how many people think today. Online you can find about anything now so I'm kinda a dinosaur along with my generation that learned things. Example I met a guy that studied stars from maps for most of his life, I asked him if he had seen the star chart apps. He said he had not, so I showed them to him. It's a weird thing to watch a grown man cry. Technology is far past what a person can learn in a lifetime and at everyone's fingertips growth hurts I'm willing to change for the status questions just haven't figured it out yet. My Apologies.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I did that a week ago, post in the welcome wagon. Sorry about the technical jargon and esoteric stuff it is tai chi or jian stuff after all. I realize that jian has more stuff out there than I can ever learn. Even tai chi does. Interpersonal relations well I will have to learn by default if you read my welcome post I have been offline since about 97. So don't really know the protocol or even how many people think today. Online you can find about anything now so I'm kinda a dinosaur along with my generation that learned things. Example I met a guy that studied stars from maps for most of his life, I asked him if he had seen the star chart apps. He said he had not, so I showed them to him. It's a weird thing to watch a grown man cry. Technology is far past what a person can learn in a lifetime and at everyone's fingertips growth hurts I'm willing to change for the status questions just haven't figured it out yet. My Apologies.
I know the feeling. I still like to read an actual book, hold it in my hands. I have not yet downloaded a single app ont my phone. I'm a bit old school as well.

If you have t got comfortable with the online ettiquette, maybe just read through some threads that you find interesting for a while and get a feel for it. But really, just talk to people like they are your neighbor, not like a fortune cookie, and it's all good.

Latest Discussions