How do you make a fist?

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just so I don't get sued:
FIRST ORDER of BUSINESS: Wrist alignment. The thumb under is better for a beginner who hasn't yet made proper wrist alignment 'instinctual'. The thumb along-side is good for fist tightness, the thumb under reinforces the wrist.... but again... also slows it down.
We're talking miliseconds here....
Your Brother
John

OP
J

Jill666

I also keep the thumb to the side of the index finger, instead of laying it across the fingers. I find it keeps my wrist in better alignment, and I haven't split my first two knuckles open since.

Was it Kirk who also did this? Did you find the same thing?

:knight: Jill

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Jill666
I also keep the thumb to the side of the index finger, instead of laying it across the fingers. I find it keeps my wrist in better alignment, and I haven't split my first two knuckles open since.

Was it Kirk who also did this? Did you find the same thing?

:knight: Jill

Yes, and Yes! :asian:

OP
E

Elfan

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

What part of the first do you strike with? I use the pointer and middle knuckels.

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
my problem with punches is that I must be hitting wrong with my right fist. It bruises very quickly on my ring finger and pinkie knuckles. I also hit very hard with that hand. My left hand i punch with is fine. i must be punching wrong or fisting wrong. Any ideas?

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by rachel
my problem with punches is that I must be hitting wrong with my right fist. It bruises very quickly on my ring finger and pinkie knuckles. I also hit very hard with that hand. My left hand i punch with is fine. i must be punching wrong or fisting wrong. Any ideas?

Focus on the impact being in your pointer and middle finger
knuckles.

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
i must be punching wrong or fisting wrong. Any ideas?

Rachel,

Assuming that you are making a fist the same way with both hands, and that you are making the fist correctly, consider the following:

1. The body-mechanic that you are using to throw a punch differs slightly from one side to the other, with the result that the fist is landing slightly differently.

2. The fist has a weak structure, from an anatomical standpoint, for striking. Almost anyone who strikes regularly with his or her fist ends up hurting the muscles, tendons, bones, etc. in their hands at some point in their training. While practicing hitting hard objects may have practical benefits in some contexts, it is almost certain that overhitting hard objects is not good for your hands. Even if you are only hitting focus mitts and the heavy bag, consider wrapping your hands the way that boxers do and use a light bag glove.

3. You may have sustained an injury that is not healing and just keep reinjuring your hand by not resting it enough. Consider using the kinds of herbal products that martial artists have used through the ages to help speed up the healing process - and give your hand plenty of rest in between training sessions. If you would like some suggestions on which products to use, email me privately.

Best,

Steve Lamade

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I work for the post office and I key big bundles of mail. I key right handed all day and hurl big bundles of mail with my right hand . I believe I have a little carpal tunnel syndrome in that wrist. Maybe that's why I hit differently with it. Also when we do self defense techniques and my right hand is twisted, I don't feel the pain like I do in my left. It's almost immune to pain in that respect.

OP
E

Elfan

It was mentioned in another thread that some Wing Chun practicioners prefer to strike with the smaller knuckles? Anyone else heard of this?

OP
Y

yilisifu

Yes, they do. Sometimes they utilize the last three knuckles as well. The wrist is snapped upward just prior to impact. However, in Yilichuan, we thrust with the first two knuckles.

Greggers69

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brother John
Just so I don't get sued:
FIRST ORDER of BUSINESS: Wrist alignment. The thumb under is better for a beginner who hasn't yet made proper wrist alignment 'instinctual'. The thumb along-side is good for fist tightness, the thumb under reinforces the wrist.... but again... also slows it down.
We're talking miliseconds here....
Your Brother
John

Now How about when you try this and you jam your thumb? Is this due to over rotating your punch or just sticking your thumb out to much. :asian:

OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by Greggers69
Now How about when you try this and you jam your thumb? Is this due to over rotating your punch or just sticking your thumb out to much. :asian:

Cause its sticking out. Try making a first like that and hitting something hard with the thumb to simulate a miss and see how that feels.

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I work for the post office and I key big bundles of mail. I key right handed all day and hurl big bundles of mail with my right hand . I believe I have a little carpal tunnel syndrome in that wrist. Maybe that's why I hit differently with it. Also when we do self defense techniques and my right hand is twisted, I don't feel the pain like I do in my left. It's almost immune to pain in that respect.

It's possible that the tendons in your wrist have become slightly twisted through repetitive movements, as you describe above. This will often cause the small bones in your wrist to become misalligned, which may be why you've become comfortable hitting with your hands in specific positions.

Best,

Steve Lamade

Latest Discussions