How to escape a wrist lock

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Getting to the wrist is the easy part of a wrist lock. It's the other components that will provide a challenge for most people.

Yeah sort of. Clinch, arm drag, two on one Russian, figure 4(sort of I am playing with something else now) gooseneck.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some wrist lock such as the "chicken wing" is used to force your opponent to walk with you (used by police). I think the police will have legal issue if he damages his opponent's wrist.

That's a law enforcement focus and not self defense focus. Do that when it's 2 vs 1 and you're screwed. The original intent is to break or damage the wrist. The walking beside the person is the position that prevents that person from striking you.

Can a wrist lock be used to restrain? Sure. Is that the original intent? Nope. Old TMA literature says as much. They often refer to it as "Destroying" tendons, ligaments, and muscle.

Joint lock restraints often stop before the destruction.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah sort of. But it makes you a crappy training partner
You are going to do it in training if the teacher is good. Training joint locks require a trusted training partner because it easy cause damage. If you don't trust your partner's ability to put your safety first then find a new partner to train joint locks with.

Training students joint locks always make me nervous. There's always that one person who thinks they need to use extra strength to make it work.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But one thing that drives me nuts is people cranking them on. I just don't think there is a benefit to that in training.
IMO you shouldn't train with people like that. They don't understand the damage they are doing to you. If they get it right then there's no need to crank it. If I saw someone do that to you in my class then your partner would get a warning. The second time they do it, I would remove them from using and training wrist locks. Until they learn better control or gain more respect for your safety.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
The issue with locking the wrist is that there is a lot of mobility upstream from the joint being locked
So there are many options for relatively experienced folk to escape
So for training with friends (ie safely) they tend to either require full control of the forearm/elbow or be limited to eliciting a reaction from your opponent (eg forcing a grip release)
In a more traditional context the issue of mobility still applies, but can be overcome by strikes (in which case you also take advantage of the fact that wrist locks can be applied quickly)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So there are many options for relatively experienced folk to escape
This is why I think the title of this tread is too conservative.

To escape a wrist lock is step 1. To take advantage on a wrist lock is step 2. IMO, just to chase your enemy away is not good enough. You enemy will come back. How do you stop your enemy from coming back?

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score

To escape a wrist lock is step 1. To take advantage on a wrist lock is step 2. IMO, just to chase your enemy away is not good enough. You enemy will come back. How do you stop your enemy from coming back?
Yes I agree that the video at the beginning of the thread (which didn’t have a wrist lock) wasn’t particularly effective
If you’re applying a technique then it should progress your situation as you say
In addition the guy showing the technique creates no structural defence or control despite the attack being pretty ineffective

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

ha ha ha. break that wrist and if your enemy still comes back, then he'll be coming back with less than he started with. One less working wrist lol.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ha ha ha. break that wrist and if your enemy still comes back, then he'll be coming back with less than he started with. One less working wrist lol.
That's what I call the "finish move". We all try to develop some finish moves in our life time and hope that we never have to use it.

Latest Discussions