How to become quicker?

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Back when I was 140 pounds and much weaker, (teen years) I was able to move crazily fast, quick hands and quick kicks, and quick footwork. Now I am much heavier and stronger, I find myself considerably slower.

I know big guys can be quick because I have seen it often, my question is how do they become so quick? Is it simply something you get from repetitive training or are there methods to train that are geared to becoming quicker?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Back when I was 140 pounds and much weaker, (teen years) I was able to move crazily fast, quick hands and quick kicks, and quick footwork. Now I am much heavier and stronger, I find myself considerably slower.

I know big guys can be quick because I have seen it often, my question is how do they become so quick? Is it simply something you get from repetitive training or are there methods to train that are geared to becoming quicker?
Points of reference....o_O

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Muscle memory for me, with the science thing with body mass ratio. Pretty sure I have asked something similar in the past. Anyway I am just lucky to be quick. Probably modified my position since. I think you can refine it, but maybe not in actual terms. I guess if it me, I would just work tighting the combos firstly, get used to not throwing certain things. Like maybe less kicks, and more on percentages. Maybe of use to you, but I woilud rather be smooth, than trying to outflow with raw grunt, which I am prone to doing in a prolonged tussle. So if I start to notice degenerating speed, not going to worry about it, then again I am pushing towards the 50's, not that my mind seems to register :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you've gained the strength through lifting, you may have recruited slower muscle fibres. Practice speed, and you'll recruit faster fibres.

This is based upon research that's a bit old now. I'm sure someone will chime in if it's actually outdated and better info is available.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
are there methods to train that are geared to becoming quicker?
One day I asked my teacher, "What is lighting speed". He said, "Lighting speed is when you feel that your eye balls are going to fly out of your eye sockets". He also said, "Lighting speed is to be able to thread a needle in the dark while lighting strike".

Some people believe that you will get speed if you train your MA long enough. I believe there are training methods that can help you to achieve your goal in much shorter time.

One "speed training with partner" that I like is to

- have you and your opponent both with right leg forward.
- have you and your opponent both drop hands next to the knees.
- You try to use your right hand to hit your opponent's back left shoulder.
- Your opponent tries to block it with his right arm.
- If you succeed, you get a point, otherwise your opponent get a point.

Try this for 15 rounds, record the result. Then reverse and let your opponent to strike you. Later on move apart and add "step in footwork" into the training.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
are there methods to train that are geared to becoming quicker?

Try to throw "3 strikes in each step" and continue your footwork.

"1 step 3 strikes" -> "3 steps 9 strikes" -> "10 steps 30 strikes" -> ...

The following footwork training can help you to obtain speed.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is it simply something you get from repetitive training or are there methods to train that are geared to becoming quicker?

Yes, there are methods to train that are geared towards increased speed and quickness.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes. Hope I don't have to that. Speed without strength is pointless. IMHO :)
What if I told you that adding to one, takes away from the other; so, you do the math, and decide it is going to be enough, or you un-root, and simply bowl them over with your body mass. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if I told you that adding to one, takes away from the other; so, you do the math, and decide it is going to be enough, or you un-root, and simply bowl them over with your body mass. There is more than one way to skin a cat.
Not entirely correct. It is entirely possible to increase strength and speed at the same time.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Hope I don't have to that. Speed without strength is pointless. IMHO :)
In the entire absence of strength, speed can be useless, but there are cases where speed is more important than strength (assuming some minimum level of strength). The two are complimentary.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not entirely correct. It is entirely possible to increase strength and speed at the same time.
I agree, in part. You change the type of power you are using, when you focus on speed; so, this stuff really isn't robbing from Peter to pay Paul, but robbing from Peter, and investing it for Paul. :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the entire absence of strength, speed can be useless, but there are cases where speed is more important than strength (assuming some minimum level of strength). The two are complimentary.

Yes, but over time, the both are not exclusive to each other. I think that knowing each other, can compensate. To a certain degree.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
there are cases where speed is more important than strength.

1. Speed is more important - When you try to stab your knife into your opponent's chest, it won't matter much whether you use 100 lb force or 10 lb force.

2. Power is more important - When you mount your opponent on the ground, the speed is no longer important. You can take your time to knock your opponent out.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Getting faster requires a bunch of things.

Getting back the speed of your 140 lb. self isn't likely. However, speed is in part a function of strength, but make that strength explosive. Plyometrics likely the best bet overall. Agility ladders are also thought to be helpful by many. The more you practice a given movement, the faster is will become over time too.

Latest Discussions