How soon do you begin sparring in your school?

How soon do you begin sparring in your school?

• Day 1

• Week 1

• Week 2

• 1st month

• 2nd month

• 3rd month

• 4th month

• 5th month

• 6 month

• 6-8 months

• 8-10 months

• 10-12 months

• 1 year + (elaborate?)

• Other (elaborate?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good question.

Throw them to the wolves at an earlier age, or wait until their basic skills have been honed? Which one is better?

A Kyokushin school will probably start them out at full contact, full speed sparring, when they are white belts. Even if I thoroughly disagree with this method, I won't argue with the results, since the Kyokushin-kai are one tough group of hombres, that have an excellent sense of honor. Note: I do not mean to say that they're being thrown to the wolves in a literal sense here, since their partners aren't going to go hog wild on them when they're beginners!

A certain Tae Kwon Do school started them at white belt, but at a very relaxed pace, and no hard contact at that level. As you advanced up the ranks, you would be given more leeway to go at a faster pace, and increased contact.

A certain Shotokan school started them after getting yellow belt, but you would only spar with the instructors until they deemed that your control was good enough that they would trust you with the others.

A certain Wado school started letting them free spar only after they hit green belt (5th kyu), believing that it's not a good idea to let them spar until they have refined their techniques significantly.

One other Karate school would not let you free spar until you hit brown belt (3rd kyu).

Who's right, and who's wrong?

The answer is simple: Everyone's right, it's just a matter of finding a school that agrees with you. I've known people from each of the non-Kyokushin schools mentioned above, that have gone on to become world class competitors, some fighting at AAU events, others at USANKF or WKF events, etc., so the systems do work in their own ways.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember distinctly sparring within two weeks and most of them guys, and most of them wild teens. I constantly got clobbered especially high on my arms, as if that was a target. On my first test, I didn't know white belts didn't have to test. Everyone was told to put on chestgear to spar and I thought he meant me too so I did. I was given the opportunity to opt out as the master realized I was in gear but I said, I'm ready. For once, I ended up clobbering a yellow belt teenage boy age about 16. I guess I had learned something by then. TW

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lady_kaur said:
Insurance is why. Our school's insurance policy says that the student must be at least a yellow belt to begin sparring. The only exception is if the student earned a bb in another art, then the student would be allowed to begin sparring at white.

Some schools have the provisions for beginners to start quickly. Ours doesn't.

I never heard of insurance having a rule when you can sparr. Learn sonething new everyday.
Terry

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At my old Kenpo school (Tracy breakaway), 2-3 months. At my former TKD school 5-6 months. I think 2-3 months is about right for most styles and schools. Depends a lot on the individuals.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I never heard of insurance having a rule when you can sparr. Learn sonething new everyday.
Terry

I don't know if a rule is the proper word.

Having students spar later reduces risk from an acutarial perspective...much like driving only a few thousand miles per year reduces risk from an acutarial perspective.

If the owners of my school made such a decision to have such circumstances written in to their policy, the school must follow the policy as it is written. I don't know what went in to their decision. It seems logical that they balanced the demands of their students with all of the liability factors in their policy and decided on the most optimal balance they can find.

I do believe that once the policy is written, if the school breaks from the policy, the school risks not having their coverage apply (or worse) should an accident happen with the student that is outside the policy bounds. That's just my speculation, though.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lady_kaur said:

Having students spar later reduces risk from an acutarial perspective...much like driving only a few thousand miles per year reduces risk from an acutarial perspective.

If the owners of my school made such a decision to have such circumstances written in to their policy, the school must follow the policy as it is written. I don't know what went in to their decision. It seems logical that they balanced the demands of their students with all of the liability factors in their policy and decided on the most optimal balance they can find.

I do believe that once the policy is written, if the school breaks from the policy, the school risks not having their coverage apply (or worse) should an accident happen with the student that is outside the policy bounds. That's just my speculation, though.

Lady Kaur I understand just never seen one written that way in all my years. I would suspect the owners start to teach Sd at an early stage and that would be covered by there insurance or do they start SD at green belt level also, not trying to start a fight with words just trying to unerstand the insurance thing, if it is because the risk of getting hurt fighting until green then I would imagine it is the same for Self Defense at the school am I correct on this?
Terry

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It depends upon the student and also on what one calls sparring?

i.e. In the first couple of weeks the new studnet should learn basic trapping hands, and some might call this hand sparring, as you have a technique sequence you are doing, but do not know where and how the opponent is going to strike you?

If it is putting on pads and trying to go at it, I think some basics need to be taught first.

With sticks, some think they might be sparring after I teach them blocks and then tell them I am going to hit them for real, so they had better block. ;) :D I put some force on the strike but am ready in case they miss or freak out, to abort.

Yet, one could say the basics of sparring in some form could happen in a couple of weeks.

Now, in some Judo/Jujutsu classes teach in a sparring type fashion, but even there the basics of falling and the technique need to be taught first. :) So it could be any time I guess.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
lady_kaur said:

I think that insurance "rule" would just show their ignorance of the martial art. For TKD, its like getting into a faster and faster car with different terrain. Sure you learning how to drive better and better but there is more possibilities for collision and they are more expensive than bruises. I know I got the serious injuries at blue and red belt and not always sparring. I would think it would be the reverse, you insure a white belt minimum, then after that the rates would go up. TW

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As far as insurance - my insurer requires me to have my students wear hand & foot pads and headgear, with cups for the males (any age). A couple of the black belt men take care of teaching about cups for me... never having worn one, it would be hard for me to give advice!

As I said before, my students spar within a couple of weeks of coming in - but they start off at a slow speed, with senior rank partners who have the control to not hurt them, and not let the white belts hurt the black belts, as I find the most injuries come from wild strikes by the white belts, and not the white belts getting injured - so new students only spar with people who can protect themselves from uncontrolled strikes. The key is that I am in control, and watching closely, and they are limited in terms of who they can spar with.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Iv started sparring with in the first week at my old school, then when i came to college because id already been in taekwondo for about 9 months sparred right away. I love sparring i couldnt imagin haveing a waiting period

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In our capoeira school, a new student is encouraged to play in the Roda from day one. The Roda is not identical to freesparring, but it is capoeira's version of that. We say that you can practice technique all you want, but you are not "doing capoeira" unless you are playing in the roda.

On the other hand, in our wing chun school we begin drills that build up to chi sao, which again is not identical to freesparring, but is wing chun's version of controlled sparring and is usually done more commonly than freesparring. But it may take several months or longer for a student to advance to full chi sao.

In my kenpo school, I don't recall when we started sparring. I know I was training for several months before a friend and I started sparring in my basement. After that, we were doing more in class, but freesparring was given less emphasis than self-defense scenarios and developing technique useage for self defense.

TLHisComing

White Belt
Reaction score
Ussually in the first week. Tend to always pair up the new students with myself or other black or brown belts and let them break them in slowly with some basic combinations to get them used to throwing at a moving target and limit the response of the higher belt to white and yellow belt techniques and light contact.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1st week.. The beginning student gets all 'bundled up' in their sparring gear and paired up with a senior student.. they can practice punching and actually feeling a body under their hand and kicking.. It's a learning process and each new student really enjoys it.. they don't get hurt, they sure don't know what they're doing.. but it's a good ice breaker into 'our world' :)

~Tess

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I firmly believe there should be be extra problems incurred by allowing new students to spar on their first night. Senior students should be able to spar with newbies without inuring them (or being injured in return) while at the same time instructing them, breaking them of bad habits, and working them hard. If this isn't possible, then the problem lies more in the qualities a school demands of senior students, than the decision to allow new students to spar early.

If the newbies cannot control themselves, and when I say this I'm not referring to their techniques, but their temper, aggression levels, and adhering to the rules, then they require a talking to. This is a problem that will be encountered sooner or later, regardless of when you allow a new student to spar.

mad_boxer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
At my boxing gym you can spar whenever you want if you ask but it will generally be a couple of months before the instructor approaches you to see if you want to spar

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
we allow sparring after students receive their first belt (yellow). mostly this is so they get to know the people in the school. sparring injuries generally happen because somebody's scared or nervous. you're less scared or nervous when you're working out with friends.

we require sparring at green belt through first black. minimum of 4 classes per belt rank. after shodan, any student can stop sparring forever if they want -- we just want the decision to come from understanding instead of fear.

Latest Discussions